• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gustard X18 Review (Stereo DAC)

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 2.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 22 8.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 231 88.2%

• Total voters

dsnyder0cnn

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have the X16 in my system and find it a little too polite.
The output impedance of the X16 is a little on the high side at 300Ω balanced. What amplifier are you using? I found that it sounds quite lively connected to a Topping Pre90 analog preamp.

Danddd

The output impedance of the X16 is a little on the high side at 300Ω balanced. What amplifier are you using? I found that it sounds quite lively connected to a Topping Pre90 analog preamp.
I'm using a McCormack DNA 0.5 amp and a VTL 2.5 preamp.

dsnyder0cnn

I'm using a McCormack DNA 0.5 amp and a VTL 2.5 preamp.
I had a McCormack DNA 1 amp that I enjoyed for 17+ years before letting it go.

Your issue with the X16 could be a synergy thing, I guess. Input impedance on the VTL 2.5 is respectably high at 50kΩ, so that should not be an issue. Most X16 owners I've talked to love it.

Ingenieur

It is amazing the absolute performance squeezed out of these things.

The $xx,000 devices have to rely on subjectivity, because if numbers were compared a lot of questions would be raised,

BR52

They're not going to reveal every design decision :p
Thanks for your statement. Can you explain where your statement is coming from? Are you their spokesmen, a prophet, or is this connected to your experience with them?
Because I can see here, two stereo channels populated not symmetric (it was a design goal since stereo was invented) may this step will push the audio electronics to a new level:facepalm:

nhs

As I am correctly understanding, the X18 uses 2 x ES9038PRO chips, one for each channel, right? Or am I misunderstanding it?

BR52

As I am correctly understanding, the X18 uses 2 x ES9038PRO chips, one for each channel, right? Or am I misunderstanding it?
This is that they say.

Reactions: nhs

RHO

Major Contributor
Thanks for your statement. Can you explain where your statement is coming from? Are you their spokesmen, a prophet, or is this connected to your experience with them?
Because I can see here, two stereo channels populated not symmetric (it was a design goal since stereo was invented) may this step will push the audio electronics to a new level:facepalm:
Who says that what your interpretation of what L and R is on the PCB is correct? Could well be the I/U conversion for L and R and a buffer for both channels.
It even looks like the foil caps are mounted from the bottom on the right side of the board.

Last edited:

BR52

there is a posibility they have placed the foil capacitors on the bottom side of the board:oops:

Reactions: RHO

BR52

Who says that what your interpretation of what L and R is on the PCB is correct? Could well be the I/U conversion for L and R and a buffer for both channels.
opa 1612 is a dual opa means 16 i/v stages if you use 2 times 8 (stereo) you need all opa 1612 for iv conversation.
Any how see my post before:p

RHO

Major Contributor
opa 1612 is a dual opa means 16 i/v stages if you use 2 times 8 (stereo) you need all opa 1612 for iv conversation.
Any how see my post before:p
We came to the same discovery regarding the MKP's.

kiyu

x26 has dual 9038pro, this has 1, but as Reynaldo mentioned, 9038 is 8 channels, so they balance the dac with those channels. D90SE does the same.

Reynaldo

x26 has dual 9038pro, this has 1, but as Reynaldo mentioned, 9038 is 8 channels, so they balance the dac with those channels. D90SE does the same.
Topping created this novelty with the D90se and Gustard copied it.
The problem is that the D90se has been having several problems and I don't know if this will reflect on the X18's sales.

I think they aren't really believing in the X18, as it doesn't even appear on Gustard's official website.

gustard web site.jpg

Last edited:

kiyu

Topping created this novelty with the D90se and Gustard copied it.
The problem is that the D90se has been having several problems and I don't know if this will reflect on the X18's sales.

I think they aren't really believing in the X18, as it doesn't even appear on Gustard's official website.

View attachment 175531

"The problem is that the D90se has been having several problems" ? really ? I was not aware.
yes I saw that on the gustard website I also saw that if you go to drivers/firmware there is NO firmware for X16 or for X26 both files can be found only here on this forum, so if you are not familiar with the forum you would miss the firmware? how is that possible good?

I was like 95% sure to get the Gustard x18 but.. now that % is really decreasing...

Top Bottom