• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What would you choose? Benchmark x2 or ATI Hypex based or Apollon Purifi / NC1200SL based

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I've seen some interesting new A/B amps around from a company called ToneWinner?
I'd love to see @amirm get one on the bench, the pricing is quite reasonable.
Builds are available in a few numbers of channels builts.
5 channels at 300w @ 8 ohms for $1,576.41 USD delivered.
Really good lookin too.
Where's the catch ??? There's got to be one ???
210303124126_304.jpg

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
ToneWinner is the source of many of (perhaps all?) Emotiva's products. Not saying it's a catch, just a comment. I have several Emotiva amplifiers that are 10+ years old and doing fine. It is unlikely that I will ever own another Emotiva processor, however.

Freeway

I have been listening with a PS Audio Stellar S300 amp for a couple years. Class D ICEpower dual mono. Reviewed here at ASR. Now have the Benchmark ABH2. I do not subjectively feel it as an upgrade, more of a lateral move. Do not fear the Ds.
Have also added a Holo Audio Spring 3 DAC/pre amp. Impressed.

radix

Major Contributor
A few months ago, I was looking to replace my old B&O system. I wanted to get Mcintosh, but the equipment has such a large footprint, it did not work for my space. I went with 2x AHB2 in rack mount and have been very happy with them. If you're keeping the C47, then perhaps the reduced footprint is not an issue for you; but it's something to consider.

OP
D

Derkkk

I have been listening with a PS Audio Stellar S300 amp for a couple years. Class D ICEpower dual mono. Reviewed here at ASR. Now have the Benchmark ABH2. I do not subjectively feel it as an upgrade, more of a lateral move. Do not fear the Ds.
Have also added a Holo Audio Spring 3 DAC/pre amp. Impressed.
Yeah thats what I was wondering really. Never have heard class D and like most of you know in the years past class D was very much scoffed at for hifi stuff. So, now that I see how much it's improved I of course want to see what it's all about. Who knows maybe I will get the Benchmarks as I've wanted them for so long but may even get some class D stuff just to try it out. I just can't get over the curiosity of it all.

OP
D

Derkkk

A few months ago, I was looking to replace my old B&O system. I wanted to get Mcintosh, but the equipment has such a large footprint, it did not work for my space. I went with 2x AHB2 in rack mount and have been very happy with them. If you're keeping the C47, then perhaps the reduced footprint is not an issue for you; but it's something to consider.
Yes I have lots of room. I make my own stands for my stuff so no issue there. You do have a point though a lot of the Mac stuff is pretty big. Even the entry level stuff I have is quite a large foot print. Now that Im looking at my stand Id probably make another one that's about the size of a turntable because the benchmarks and class D stuff is nice and compact. I like using big 3/4" threaded rod and then some nice thick slabs of oak. Unlimited adjustability and there's actually 6 shelves but the bottom two are just doubled up until I need more.

269886121_1345966762508820_8864152090558432847_n.jpg

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor

JRS

Major Contributor
Those poor tweeter and midranges. Can’t imagine they will cope well with 600W of power, even if they’ll only receive a fraction of it, nor will they do 120dB. The midranges would need to do more than 2.5mm of excursion, which is a lot for such small devices.

Also note that the difference between 400 and 600W is very small. Probably not worth the extra investment.
Indeed. Talking a couple of decibels, or in other words, twice the barely discernible difference in volume, which when added to an already very loud baseline, is mere dust. Only argument might be a less distortion, or possibly saving a tweeter. It certainly won't translate into much louder and/or cleaner experience.
Having said that, I'd buy the class D amp(s) over the Benchmark.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
:facepalm: how on earth did i miss that... Ive read that review a few more times than Id like to admit and somehow I missed he was using Benchmark amps.
FYI, he (Kal) is the guy who responded to you... We are lucky to have him here!

OP
D

Derkkk

I've been looking through a few of brands that use Purifi for their amps and I have to say, I may just end up buying one benchmark, as well as a nice little small BoXem purifi Class D and try both out for myself. If I end up liking the BoXem then I'll have a nice little class D at only about $1650 and I presume the Benchmark would sell super fast without much money lost. If I end up liking the Benchmark more then I can just buy another one and run them bridged mono. Being that the BoXem or similar value purifi based amps don't cost an arm and a leg I could just keep it around as I'm betting I wont hate it either. Maybe use it on another system or with the Focals.

JRS

Major Contributor
I've seen some interesting new A/B amps around from a company called ToneWinner?
I'd love to see @amirm get one on the bench, the pricing is quite reasonable.
Builds are available in a few numbers of channels builts.
5 channels at 300w @ 8 ohms for $1,576.41 USD delivered.
Really good lookin too.
The 5 x 180 looks like a "winner" as well, and the 1200V-A supply means enough juice for 180 x 5 (300 into 4) into 8 all the time. BVut man schleping 75 lb of pure beef is a younger mans sport. Isn't it wonderful to have options? I do have a hand truck. Just redolent of old school when men were men and amps were big.
pondering-emoticon-single-finger-thumb-resting-chin-thinking-wondering-ponder-emoticon-103989079.jpg

Attachments

• 1640924296019.png
    1640924296019.png
    200.1 KB · Views: 94
  • amp1.PNG
    amp1.PNG
    642.7 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:

Graph Feppar

If I had the money I would go Benchmark becose I am kind of a Benchmark fanboy. It has best measurements and Iike the professional look.

The hypex amps should peform 98% as good, cost alot less and be much more efficient and cold, they are the rational choice. I only did short glance at the ATI website and I found something concerning. Correct me if I am wrong but they appear to use linear power supplies. That does get rid of the power supply switching noise but man, we are in 2021, one day away from 2022, any competent electronic engineer can design switching power supply with switching noise so low its in practice unrecognizable from linear one. I believe class D amps should go with switching powersupplies, otherwise its like putting supercharged V8 into Toyota Prius.

The Apollon ones use switching supplies so that one would be my choice.

dshreter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
All the amps you’re looking at will sound identical, so demoing and reselling one will be a wasted effort and expense. I’d pick the one that has the features and looks you want and not look back as they’ll all sound great.

Or just stick with the your Mc, it’s a beauty and you can’t get new ears if your current ones wear out.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
ToneWinner is the source of many of (perhaps all?) Emotiva's products. Not saying it's a catch, just a comment. I have several Emotiva amplifiers that are 10+ years old and doing fine. It is unlikely that I will ever own another Emotiva processor, however.
Ouch. Fully understand your feelings, just the thought that Emo might have some hand in these amps makes me nervous.
My Emo DC-1 DAC has been faultless for around 5 years now but my awareness of the AVR pieces puts a bad taste in my mouth.
If we ever get one on the bench that would answer my questions..
I'd prefer to stick with class A/B stuff, don't ask me why. Just my version of the vinyl fad I guess. LOL
Besides, I love the meters but can't afford McIntosh.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Ouch. Fully understand your feelings, just the thought that Emo might have some hand in these amps makes me nervous.
My Emo DC-1 DAC has been faultless for around 5 years now but my awareness of the AVR pieces puts a bad taste in my mouth.
If we ever get one on the bench that would answer my questions..
I'd prefer to stick with class A/B stuff, don't ask me why. Just my version of the vinyl fad I guess. LOL
Besides, I love the meters but can't afford McIntosh.
Other way around -- ToneWinner makes stuff for Emotiva, among others, but Emotiva does not make stuff for ToneWinner. AFAIK.

No worries (or no more than usual) - Don

OP
D

Derkkk

All the amps you’re looking at will sound identical, so demoing and reselling one will be a wasted effort and expense. I’d pick the one that has the features and looks you want and not look back as they’ll all sound great.

Or just stick with the your Mc, it’s a beauty and you can’t get new ears if your current ones wear out.

You pretty much answered my suspicion. I figured I might not be able to tell the difference between them all. Again I’ve been pretty set on benchmarks for a while but after reading a lot of the threads on here and doing some of my own digging the class D stuff is making me itch for something different. Also the idea of not having to spend $10k plus on some mac gear just to get a little head room seems nice to me. I don’t mind spending money on good stuff as long I feel like it will make an improvement. While the perlistens are expensive 15-18k I believe they’ll be an end game speaker for me so I don’t mind it. Spending 10k on some Big Mac amps that I don’t believe will make a huge difference other than give me some head room and less distortion at my listening levels, I’m not a huge fan of. Plus…. I’m really looking forward to being able to pick the amps up and move them.

Pretty much what I have now power wise suffices (150w per side but I know they under rate them). The focals are 92db, so I have a good idea and know what I have now works volume wise. Sometimes when I get carried away they get awfully close to clipping (nice blue meters say so lol) I’m not asking to necessarily get any sort of difference in sound as much as I just want to be able to use what the perlistens offers. I don’t know where we will end of form where we live but the room may get bigger so I want to cover what they can handle. Will I ever go more than say 175w that I already have? Probably not but I’d rather have amps that can pump out 450w or more without a sweat so any songs that really require some high spikes in power are totally covered and the amp isn’t even trying. If what I get along with that is a really low noise floor and super clean sound then that’s just a bonus.

I guess an analogy for this is right now I feel like I have a Ford ranger to tow 7,000lbs and technically it’s rated for that but it’s awfully close to the edge. An F-150 would tow it great and likely the best option but have you ever towed 7,000 with a diesel super duty? It’s like it’s not even there. Then again I don’t exactly need a semi to haul it either.

Freeway

Variety is the spice of life.

pogo

Major Contributor
Here is another candidate:
Link

The same amp design works in my M33 and fits perfectly to my speakers regarding measurement values (not all audible ones are normally queried in the ASR test reviews!?).

Last edited:

ex audiophile

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
You pretty much answered my suspicion. I figured I might not be able to tell the difference between them all. Again I’ve been pretty set on benchmarks for a while but after reading a lot of the threads on here and doing some of my own digging the class D stuff is making me itch for something different. Also the idea of not having to spend $10k plus on some mac gear just to get a little head room seems nice to me. I don’t mind spending money on good stuff as long I feel like it will make an improvement. While the perlistens are expensive 15-18k I believe they’ll be an end game speaker for me so I don’t mind it. Spending 10k on some Big Mac amps that I don’t believe will make a huge difference other than give me some head room and less distortion at my listening levels, I’m not a huge fan of. Plus…. I’m really looking forward to being able to pick the amps up and move them.

Pretty much what I have now power wise suffices (150w per side but I know they under rate them). The focals are 92db, so I have a good idea and know what I have now works volume wise. Sometimes when I get carried away they get awfully close to clipping (nice blue meters say so lol) I’m not asking to necessarily get any sort of difference in sound as much as I just want to be able to use what the perlistens offers. I don’t know where we will end of form where we live but the room may get bigger so I want to cover what they can handle. Will I ever go more than say 175w that I already have? Probably not but I’d rather have amps that can pump out 450w or more without a sweat so any songs that really require some high spikes in power are totally covered and the amp isn’t even trying. If what I get along with that is a really low noise floor and super clean sound then that’s just a bonus.

I guess an analogy for this is right now I feel like I have a Ford ranger to tow 7,000lbs and technically it’s rated for that but it’s awfully close to the edge. An F-150 would tow it great and likely the best option but have you ever towed 7,000 with a diesel super duty? It’s like it’s not even there. Then again I don’t exactly need a semi to haul it either.
If you haven't pulled the trigger, I have 3 March P701 monoblocks available (we're moving/downsizing) at $800 each. Just FYI
PM if interested :)

Top Bottom