• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wilson Audio TuneTot Review (high-end bookshelf speaker)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 364 58.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 186 30.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 44 7.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 25 4.0%

• Total voters

MrHifiTunes

-2.0db is a "big" dip? LOL. Whatever you say sir. BTW, I take myself just a serious as when you originally said that Wilson intentionally designed these speakers with bass-boost to correct room nulls.
Yes in that area -2db is audible and the big dip in 1-3k Hz is still there. So from a dip spanned over 1-3k Hz you make one from 800Hz till 5k HZ and call it "problem solved". And still -10 - 15db is there?
That was an estimate from my side. One that was wrong, but i least i learn from my mistakes and am open to learn more.
You also mention that dips in room can not exist. you probably believe than when you put a genelec in a real, untreated room you have the best sound possible.

You are so sure you understand the design...I dont have that pretention. Im here to learn and try to understand. I know my knowledge is limited.
But I can make a flat FR with this driver...so why can Wilson not do that?
I can not make the response they made though......and I dont beleive in voodoo or think they are better designers then anyone else. But I do think they have a different approach which i can lay my finger on.
So maybe you can explain how they did it?

heflys20

Yes in that area -2db is audible and the big dip in 1-3k Hz is still there. So from a dip spanned over 1-3k Hz you make one from 800Hz till 5k HZ and call it "problem solved". And still -10 - 15db is there?
The EQ was done based on the estimated in- room response, which shows only a 2-3db dip in 1-3khz region. Not a 10-15db dip, which is why Amir found it peculiar. Not sure why you're not able to comprehend this.
You also mention that dips in room can not exist.
Where did I say that? LOL. This should make for a good laugh.

Last edited:

heflys20

Would love to see such review for bigger siblings in the line. I have looking for a Sabrina a while now
I'd be lying if I said I wasn't somewhat envious. LOL. $2,000 seems rich for a speaker to me! I would love to experience something like a Dutch & Dutch 8c one day. Alas, it is only a dream...

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Did Amir listen to this speaker with closed port and close to the back wall?
My listening spot is always the same and is about 4 feet from each wall. I listened to port open and closed although the latter was brief.

MrHifiTunes

The EQ was done based on the estimated in- room response, which shows only a 1-2db in 1-3khz region. Not a 10-15db dip, which is why Amir found it peculiar. Not sure why you're not able to comprehend this.
Because you keep saying that a dip of 10dB and more in the frequency response is not important.
But you do say that this speaker isnt good because it doesnt have flat FR.
Thats a contradiction.
Where this speaker isnt flat is in that are of 1-3k Hz. Apart from that huge dip is is reasonble flat from 200Hz till 20kHz.
Before EQen he said that woman voices sounded ok....so what is your take on this? Woman voices sound good with a big dip like this in the FR?

index.php

Where did I say that? LOL. This should make for a good laugh.
Well you seem to know what is fault about this design. So you understand the design trade offs they made and their design goals.

Amir had a day off during listening test so didnt bother about the 10db dip and for the sport of it he mentioned that he preferred it more then a revel M106. Or was he listening to the estimated in-room which is not existing like you said? I dont know now anymore what you are trying to say?

I dont want to make conclusions before I fully understand something. I think it is risky to do so.

heflys20

Because you keep saying that a dip of 10dB and more in the frequency response is not important.
I never said that. I said Amir likely made -2.0db adjustments in eq to match the -2.0db dip that was showing at 1-3khz in the in room response. This was in response to your claim that he didn't notice/hear the slightly recessed mid-range.

But you do say that this speaker isnt good because it doesnt have flat FR.
It doesn't. The freaking gigantic +6-8db hump in the low-end shows this. It's still there in the in-room response as well.

Thats a contradiction.

No it isn't.

Where this speaker isnt flat is in that are of 1-3k Hz. Apart from that huge dip is is reasonble flat from 200Hz till 20kHz.
Before EQen he said that woman voices sounded ok....so what is your take on this? Woman voices sound good with a big dip like this in the FR?
So, basically, it's not flat? Also, voice range for women is typically 165-255hz. Why would the mid-range dip impact voices? On the other-hand , the low-end hump would make them stand out more ever so slightly; particularly when reflecting on the rest of the frequency response.

I dont want to make conclusions before I fully understand something. I think it is risky to do so.

I'm not sure what else is to learn from this speaker. It ranges from average-to-mediocre out the box. It's weak, particularly for $10k. Not much else to discuss. Will some people like it? Of course. Some people like cheap computer speakers like the Logitech Z623. Are they wrong? No. Amir liked the speaker after eq-ing it. That's all.

Last edited:

Frgirard

Major Contributor
My listening spot is always the same and is about 4 feet from each wall. I listened to port open and closed although the latter was brief.
4 feet of the front wall? If so, it's not serious.

Vladimir Filevski

Addicted to Fun and Learning
There are 4 types of speakers.
One that measure good and sound good. Very easy to evaluate....case closed.
One that measure bad and sound bad.... same thing here...case closed.
Then you have those that measure good and sound bad or measure bad and sound good.
Those are interesting to investigate and find out what is going on.
This speaker is falling into the last group and hence my quest for an answer. If we find the answer we learn and grow to understand things better.
Many talk about the port tuning and EQ-ing.
Can we dissect that?

1 EQ the bass bump.
Amir said it was too strong. When closing the port he said there was not enough bass hence his solution to EQ it.
But :
- this speaker doesnt have baffle step compensation and to provide sufficent and balanced bass output it should be placed close to the wall.
Did Amir listen to this speaker with closed port and close to the back wall?
It would have the sealed box slope and lift from the wall re-inforcement below 100Hz.

2 EQ at 700Hz.
What is the idea here? Killing the resonance at that frequency?
If so, as show in the graph below and like someone here already pointed out, the resonance comes from the port/woofer. If the port is closed this issue will be solved as well. (if this is the reason why amir EQ it....if its something else....)

3 EQ 5Khz
Amir mention something about the schowroom brightness.
Is he trying to solve that with this EQ setting?
If so, there is also an other route....Wilson provides resistors to adjust the tweeter level.

Only Amir can confirm what his listening conditions was and what problems he want to solve with the EQing.
But if it is match the situation like I mention here, then we can have a good sounding speaker without EQing.

Just my point is, there are blanks that we dont know to make a proper evaluation and that in my book is enough not to condemn a speaker.
No, this speaker is not falling in the last group (measure bad, sound good). They measured bad - for the asking price of $10,000. Full stop!
But, if we aren't looking at the price, they measured very good, except for frequencies below 200Hz - where they are bad. How can we describe its quality (objective measurements only!), when it measures very good in the majority of the spectrum, but bad in the bass? Here your simplistic approach fails. How much is one bad plus one very good?

How they sound? You guessed it (or not) - very good (not excellent!) above 200Hz and bad below 200Hz! And, on the end, what is the final verdict - are they good or bad sounding? Here your simplistic approach fails, again.
So, are they measures bad and sounds good? We have to look at the price, to give the right answer!

The final verdict: Wilson Audio Tune Tot measures bad and sounds bad, because for $10,000 there are plenty of other loudspeakers which have much better measurements in every technical aspect and have much better sound quality.
If you EQ Tune Tot, it will measure very good (not excellent!) and sound very good, except there is no dip bass to speak of – but for $10.000 I expect to measure excellent and sound excellent, with plenty of deep bass.

1. No. Amir EQed the bass not because it was not enough of it, but because there was too much of it at 115Hz (that huge peak)! Look at the parametric equalizer setting, band 1: - 6dB at 115Hz. Minus 6 dB!
Amir did listen to this speaker with closed port. And no, listening close to the back wall will not help plummeting frequency response below 80Hz. But it will help the bass between 200Hz and 600Hz.

2. EQ is on 800Hz, not on 700Hz – see the the parametric equalizer setting, band 2: 800Hz, - 2dB, Q=2. The idea is not killing the resonace at 700Hz - it is in the very narrow frequency band centered about there, but to keep down wide hump between 600Hz and 1200Hz. Because the hump is relatively wide, Q has to be small, and it is: Q=2.

3. Yes, Amir successfully solved brightness around 5kHz with EQ setting. And no, resistors will not help here. Different value resistor will bring down the whole tweeter band (more or less) from 2kHz to 20kHz – and we don’t want to bring down the output above 10kHz, but only from 3kHz to 8kHz.

As you can see, we don’t need Amir to explain what problems he wanted to solve with EQing – all knowledgeable DIY audio enthusiasts already realized what Amir did, there is no need for more explanation from Amir.
And no, we can not have a good sounding Tune Tot without EQ.
Maybe You have blanks and don’t know how to make a proper evaluation, but there are members here who do know how to make a proper evaluation and to "condemn" this speaker - rightfully.

Last edited:

MrHifiTunes

I never said that. I said Amir likely made -2.0db adjustments in eq to match the -2.0db dip that was showing at 1-3khz in the in room response. This was in response to your claim that he didn't notice/hear the slightly recessed mid-range.
I asked how to solve the 10-15db dip in the 1-3k Hz area on the FR response. It is something that doesnt have to be solved? lowering before and after this area with 2db is sufficient? So we dont need to have flat FR then? lower with EQ and it sounds better then a flat revel M106?
It doesn't. The freaking gigantic +6-8db hump in the low-end shows this. It's still there in the in-room response as well.
Yes that bump is there with open port. So if this bump is gone then the response is flat enough? because nothing audiable...after 2 EQ dips of 2db.
I can not comprehend that Amir wouldn't mention something about this big FR dip at 1-3k Hz. He heard most speakers and has a lot of exerience.
So hence my search what is going on in this design. and specifik about that 1-3k Hz area but most keep coming back to the bass bump.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Would love to see such review for bigger siblings in the line. I have looking for a Sabrina a while now
Sabrina is the only feasible one up the line. At 94 pounds, it is "portable" enough to get it measured. There is a remote chance of getting one to test in the future.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
4 feet of the front wall? If so, it's not serious.
What's not serious? How far do you think people pull out their speakers from the front wall on the average?

This is company marketing picture for this speaker:

TuneTot-105___responsive_2160_1558.jpg

Looks a heck of a lot less than 4 feet to me.

MrHifiTunes

No, this speaker is not falling in the last group (measure bad, sound good). They measured bad - for the asking price of $10,000. Full stop!
But, if we aren't looking at the price, they measured very good, except for frequencies below 200Hz - where they are bad. How can we describe its quality (objective measurements only!), when it measures very good in the majority of the spectrum, but bad in the bass? Here your simplistic approach fails. How much is one bad plus one very good?

How they sound? You guessed it (or not) - very good (not excellent!) above 200Hz and bad below 200Hz! And, on the end, what is the final verdict - are they good or bad sounding? Here your simplistic approach fails, again.
So, are they measures bad and sounds good? We have to look at the price, to give the right answer!

The final verdict: Wilson Audio Tune Tot measures bad and sounds bad, because for $10,000 there are plenty of other loudspeakers which have much better measurements in every technical aspect and have much better sound quality.
If you EQ Tune Tot, it will measure very good (not excellent!) and sound very good, except there is no dip bass to speak of – but for $10.000 I expect to measure excellent and sound excellent, with plenty of deep bass.

1. No. Amir EQed the bass not because it was not enough of it, but because there was too much of it at 115Hz (that huge peak)! Look at the parametric equalizer setting, band 1: - 6dB at 115Hz. Minus 6 dB!
Amir did listen to this speaker with closed port. And no, listening close to the back wall will not help plummeting frequency response below 80Hz. But it will help the bass between 200Hz and 600Hz.

2. EQ is on 800Hz, not on 700Hz – see the the parametric equalizer setting, band 2: 800Hz, - 2dB, Q=2. The idea is not killing the resonace at 700Hz - it is in the very narrow frequency band centered about there, but to keep down wide hump between 600Hz and 1200Hz. Because the hump is relatively wide, Q has to be small, and it is: Q=2.

3. Yes, Amir successfully solved brightness around 5kHz with EQ setting. And no, resistors will not help here. Different value resistor will bring down the whole tweeter band (more or less) from 2kHz to 20kHz – and we don’t want to bring down the output above 10kHz, but only from 3kHz to 8kHz.

As you can see, we don’t need Amir to explain what problems he wanted to solve with EQing – all knowledgeable DIY audio enthusiasts already realized what Amir did, there is no need for more explanation from Amir.
Maybe You have blanks and don’t know how to make a proper evaluation, but there are members here who do know how to make a proper evaluation and to "condemn" this speaker - rightfully.
Thanks, finally some answers I was looking for.
I don't pretend to know all, I'm here to learn and hence seeking for some explanations and knowledge from others.

Vladimir Filevski

I asked how to solve the 10-15db dip in the 1-3k Hz area on the FR response. It is something that doesnt have to be solved?
There is no 10-15dB dip in the 1-3 kHz range!
I suspect you don't realize that the measurement below is made only to show the woofer and port contribution below some 500Hz - it is not intended to show the whole frequency response at the listening distance (under anechoic conditions):
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...nse-stand-mount-bookshelf-speaker-png.173762/

Frequency response at the listening distance is shown at the first graph, here:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...nse-stand-mount-bookshelf-speaker-png.173761/
Also, estimated in-room response here:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...response-stand-mount-bookshelf-sp-png.173764/
So, no 10-15dB dip in the 1-3 kHz range!

Last edited:

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Vladimir Filevski

Actually, TuneTot is literary literally a bookshelf loudspeaker, not intended for stand-mounting away from walls.
From the Tune Tot manual: "TuneTot is designed to be used primarily on bookshelves, credenzas, counters and desk tops." i.e. close to back wall, or on big flat horizontal plate. Not that it will help it much, but anyway...

Last edited:

Slayer

Don’t be so high and mighty. Hundreds upon hundreds of different DACs that have all sounded identical for the last decade isn’t some proof point of enlightenment. The fact is DACs are easy to buy because they’re cheap, and replacing or upgrading almost any of them is a vanity exercise too, although it’s a less expensive one. Hanging your hat on SINAD doesn’t make it any more logical.
Wow, not sure why you would think my post was sounding, "high and mighty". Definitely not my intention. If anything, the post i was replying to could be taken as a high and might comment. My comment was a simple generic one in that price does not (rarely) indicate so-called high-end audio. High end audio can be had today for far less than what pablolie was implying. This site with it's measurements has proven this over and over.

(" pablolie said: Here's a truth: $10k is not anywhere near high end audio. Not for any component. Measure $50k plus gear and maybe. It's not done on this website. Nor would I care." )

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
I disagree. In Amir's room, you just need to close the port and it would sound like a nice bookshelf that does not need eq. But it would need a pair of of subs that can be equal to the room.

Top Bottom