• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Multi Channel Audio

Fitzcaraldo215

Major Contributor
Video takes a lot more of my Personal CPU than music if trying to multi-task.

I can do most anything and listen to music except listen to more music.

Hey, Ray, what is the problem? Ya got two ears.

But, you are quite right, video definitely grabs more of your consciousness, and it pushes other stuff aside. It is more immersive, but it dilutes and diminishes your focus on just the music or the sound. That is why experiencing video+audio is a different thing than audio only. But, some people enjoy having the video more than others due to that more complete immersion and suspension of consciousness. It is classic escapism. We audiophiles never indulge in that, right?

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
It's the happy marriage between sound and image that attracts the human emotions on two flanks (senses).
I believe (I am totally sure) it's a deeper experience than just one sense only; aural or visual.
The more senses we can use the more in touch with reality we are. ...And we have five of those:
1. Vision
2. Hearing
3. Smell
4. Taste
5. Touch

...Like a 5-channel speaker sound system; three up front, two on side/rear.
The sixth sense is the soul, the LFE channel.

stage_vs_audience.jpg

:)

Last edited:

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
...Like a 5-channel speaker sound system; three up front, two on side/rear.
The sixth sense is the soul, the LFE channel.

stage_vs_audience.jpg
Oh, you found a picture of AJ and his surround system! Good on you Bob. :)

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
But, you are quite right, video definitely grabs more of your consciousness, and it pushes other stuff aside. It is more immersive, but it dilutes and diminishes your focus on just the music or the sound. That is why experiencing video+audio is a different thing than audio only. But, some people enjoy having the video more than others due to that more complete immersion and suspension of consciousness. It is classic escapism. We audiophiles never indulge in that, right?
As usual, I agree. However, let me add that my problem with the video is that it comes to bore me after one or two viewings while the audio/music of a great performance is always fresh. That's the main reason I tend to turn off the video.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Fitzcaraldo215

Major Contributor
As usual, I agree. However, let me add that my problem with the video is that it comes to bore me after one or two viewings while the audio/music of a great performance is always fresh. That's the main reason I tend to turn off the video.

Kal - I agree. I tend not to replay my videos with video on nearly as often as audio-only, probably for that very reason. But, I always want the video on for opera.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
What do people prefer for a processed MCH sound field? Just for grins I flipped through a few today (first time in ages I have actually had time to just listen to some music). I normally leave my processor on "stereo" but tried Auto (which went to PLIIx Music) and a couple of the other schemes (Neo etc.) Interesting to hear some of the L/R panned info coming from a point well outside the L/ER speakers, sort of hanging between my fronts and the surrounds. Overall I liked the effect, though on some songs it seemed a bit overblown, and put too much into the center on some.

At some point I really need to get my Oppo fixed or replaced so I cna try out some of my growing stock of SACDs too.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Kal - I agree. I tend not to replay my videos with video on nearly as often as audio-only, probably for that very reason.
+1, I enjoy watching the video portion occasionally to follow the artists playing their instruments but do listen sans video a higher percentage.

I run my processor on Auto with or without video, mostly enjoying what the producer/mastering effects have been used on the Rock/R&B stuff in my small collection.
Even admit to using some Dolby PL II on stereo sources quite often, like the way it opens the room up a bit. OH the shame of it. :oops:

AJ Soundfield

Major Contributor
Even admit to using some Dolby PL II on stereo sources quite often, like the way it opens the room up a bit. OH the shame of it. :oops:
Improper envelopment?? The MCH Mutaween police should be at your door any minute now.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Hmmm... Coming from you that means a lot, Kal. And means processed surround has a long way to go if even possible. Also confirms why I have flirted with it but always stuck with stereo for stereo sources over the years.

Fitzcaraldo215

Major Contributor
What do people prefer for a processed MCH sound field? Just for grins I flipped through a few today (first time in ages I have actually had time to just listen to some music). I normally leave my processor on "stereo" but tried Auto (which went to PLIIx Music) and a couple of the other schemes (Neo etc.) Interesting to hear some of the L/R panned info coming from a point well outside the L/ER speakers, sort of hanging between my fronts and the surrounds. Overall I liked the effect, though on some songs it seemed a bit overblown, and put too much into the center on some.

At some point I really need to get my Oppo fixed or replaced so I cna try out some of my growing stock of SACDs too.

My most successful choice was DTS Neo 6 after trying a member of them. But, with decent stereo recordings, that was not what I liked in favor of plain stereo over the long haul. Kal and Amir agree.

The point, to me, is you can fool around and maybe get some transitory "benefit" from artificial stereo expansion schemes, maybe it is just a novelty. But, I find them artificial sounding at best, hence fatiguing over time. On the other hand, discretely recorded Mch, offers what has been to me a clear and permanent benefit. I listen to little else after 8 years.

AJ Soundfield

Major Contributor
My most successful choice was DTS Neo 6 after trying a member of them. But, with decent stereo recordings, that was not what I liked in favor of plain stereo over the long haul. Kal and Amir agree.
Me too. All those synthesized front channel schemes like L7, DPL and DTS sound wrong to me also. I use "pure" stereo front channels for the same reason you all do.
But "pure" stereo fronts only, sound fake to me also. Here's why:
In the usual stereo audio presentation, a partial sound stage consisting primarily of the front elements of the sound stage is created by two channels, either sampled from several microphones set in the original sound field or more often by a mixdown of many microphones placed both in proximity to the performers and out in the hall to capture the ambience. The information presented by the two channels, in either case, is a small fraction of the information in the original sound field. Additionally, this fraction is presented to the front of the listener. The presentation does not create an envelopment experience, where one is immersed in the original sound field, as the information is not present. While some processors mimic the effect, such effects are not based on the actual venue but rather on some hypothetical model of a venue

http://www.aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=9136

So whereas well done true MCH, like PSR is unquestionably better, "pure" stereo front as described above is woefully insufficient. For me also of course. Obviously it meets the requirements of others with lower needs, for 99% of recorded music. YMMV.

Top Bottom