• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SPL Phonitor X *Updated* Review (DAC & Headphone Amp)

Aperiodic

Forum Donor
If there's one point that this site keeps proving, it's that performance falling well short of price not only happens, it's commonplace- and across all product categories.

I fall in the midlle as an audiophile- I don't believe that measurements completely describe the listening experience, but I do believe that they help/matter and are a gauge of good engineering practices if nothing else. This falls well short of where it should for the money, as Lambda says. Next!

Last edited:

peniku8

Forum Donor
Crazy to think that I wanted to buy a phonitor (the small model) once to 'upgrade' from my RME (Fireface UC).

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
From my perspective I like the styling and the performance is adequate so I would be prepared to buy it if I wanted the headphone cross fade effects.
Plenty of my HiFi is more expensive than it strictly needs to be from a SQ POV because I like the styling or functionality, I'm afraid.

GDR
I quite like the styling but for me, it has to have the performance first, Functionality second & styling 3rd. If those stars line up, then: does it fit my budget.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
It may be possible to get better measured performance but the existing data shows that it will be audibly transparent, being way better than any music recording I know of, so as I wrote the performance is adequate, in as much as being indistinguishable from perfect.
It is not audibly transparent with low impedance headphones.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It is not audibly transparent with low impedance headphones.
It is also not something I would buy as a person who only uses headphones mowing my lawn and on bus/train/plane so I didn't pay enough attention to the various headphone loads, sorry.
I'll delete my irrelevant posts.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
SPL Phonitor X Measurements Multitone New DAC Headphone Amplifier.png
If we need 16 bits for transparency, why is 17 bits poor? Sorry if already asked.

MaximXXL

Jitter is excessive:
Amir, hello. I would like to know your assessment of the feasibility of performing the following measurements for the DAC:
1. DAC susceptibility to input jitter, for example: https://www.ap.com/download/apx-j-test-jitter-measurement-utility-12/
2. The absolute level of jitter at the DAC output (nanoseconds). A paper authored by Eric Benjamin and Benjamin Gannon (Document 4826 of the 105th AES Convention) describes case studies that have found the lowest jitter that becomes audible at around 10 ns rms. The test was carried out with a high level 17 kHz signal. In music, jitter was invisible, starting from 20 ns rms and below.
Best regards, Maxim

elguapo

I reviewed another model in the Phonitor series that has the crossfeed feature. November AudioXpress.
I read your article. But just would like to verify that Phonitor One d's voltage for amp. I thought SPL didn't put VOLTAiR 120V rail in Phonitor One d? The internal voltage is 17V...

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I read your article. But just would like to verify that Phonitor One d's voltage for amp. I thought SPL didn't put VOLTAiR 120V rail in Phonitor One d? The internal voltage is 17V...
The schematic they provided me shows the +/-60V rails.

Top Bottom