• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gustard X18 Review (Stereo DAC)

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 2.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 22 8.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 231 88.2%

• Total voters

Reynaldo

For the DSD issue, Gustard met or exceeded what they promised in their warranty. That's all anyone can expect.
One more reason for Gustard to update without having to open the device.
There are users who have partially damaged the device during disassembly.
It is not the purchaser's obligation to repair the device.

The X16 is a great device, however the issue of updating firmware and not having an IIS tweak in setup is really bad.
I was sure they would solve this on the X18, but it's still the same.

It's one thing to update the device without having to disassemble it, another is this Gustad procedure.

Reactions: pjw

dsnyder0cnn

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I was sure they would solve this on the X18, but it's still the same.
Where are you getting the data on the X18?

As far as I can tell, the XMOS firmware on Gustard DACs can be upgraded over USB.

MCU firmware is different. It's uncommon for MCU changes to be required after a product leaves the factory. Gustard gets credit in my book for making a field update possible for those so inclined vs requiring all units be sent back to China for repair.

There's no universal standard for I2S pinouts over HDMI. Gustard publishes the pinouts they use. It's up to the user to find a compatible transport if they wish to use this input. The same is true of virtually every other device with an I2S input. What's the big deal?

What puzzles me is that you apparently like your X16 and have no issues with it, yet you seem to have an axe to grind with Gustard. Why is that?

Last edited:

Reynaldo

What puzzles me is that you apparently like your X16 and have no issues with it, yet you seem to have an axe to grind with Gustard. Why is that?
My comment is not exclusive to Gustard, I think SMSL service is also bad.
I just don't agree with this type of procedure with the client, especially when in another country.
I have two Oppo devices here, one BD205 and the other BD103D. Oppo is also a Chinese company, but it has always had outstanding customer service.
I understood your point of view, I think you understood mine, it's no use extending this subject further.

raif71

Major Contributor
What was the issue with DSD?

I'm considering a couple of DACs, among them the Cambridge DAC Magic m200, Gustard X16, SMSL Su-9n but I want something where I won't have problems with audio dropouts if I decide to connect it to a TV, I don't want to have issues with DSD, audirvana, roon etc
In my case, nothing at all from what I can observe. Of course my playback device is a DAP and not a computer which I think most people use. I didn't detect any clicking when dsd tracks were changing. I use a sony nw-55 to play most of files connected via usb. Occasionally, I would use Hiby R5 DAP to play music.

BlackTalon

Forum Donor
My comment is not exclusive to Gustard, I think SMSL service is also bad.
I just don't agree with this type of procedure with the client, especially when in another country.
I have two Oppo devices here, one BD205 and the other BD103D. Oppo is also a Chinese company, but it has always had outstanding customer service.
I understood your point of view, I think you understood mine, it's no use extending this subject further.
I have a BD205. Some of the firmware updates for increased functionality never materialized, even though when they stopped production they indicated there would be some nice update in the future. So my experience with them isn't so hot.

nhs

I think if the X18 no longer has the problem with the DC offset like the X16 and if it doesn't have the drop off issue with the optical/coax input like the Topping D90SE has, there is no reason to buy the D90SE in favor of the X18.
If it is true, that the volume control is implemented by the X18 in the stage after the DAC, I probably sell my D90SE and get the x18 instead. Very excited to observe this DAC next day.

nagster

that the volume control is implemented by the X18 in the stage after the DAC,
Is it a motor drive POT?
Relay cluster?
Volume IC?
Other than them?
I would like to know what kind of method is used.

sonci99

I think if the X18 no longer has the problem with the DC offset like the X16 and if it doesn't have the drop off issue with the optical/coax input like the Topping D90SE has, there is no reason to buy the D90SE in favor of the X18.
If it is true, that the volume control is implemented by the X18 in the stage after the DAC, I probably sell my D90SE and get the x18 instead. Very excited to observe this DAC next day.
What problem with dc offset ?

nhs

What problem with dc offset ?
I read it in the X16 thread. Some reported high DC measured in both channels of X16, that causes issue for the speakers especially if it is connected to a DC coupled amp like mine.

BR52

I see here an interesting capacitor population in the i/v section foil and ceramics. Any ideas?
d5d478df4f6681d85239523fff811b50.jpg

netizen

As far as I know Topping 90SE and Gustard X18 are designed on the same chip? Right? Why then 90Se is DSD1024 rated instead of Gustard which is DSD512 ?

nagster

It was discussed in posts #147-152 but none is confirmed.
thank you.
No analog attenuator information for the X18 was found on the guestard page or on any other internet.
The only clue I know is gustard's testimony (# 24).

Reactions: nhs

nhs

@gustard, would you tell us if the volume knob is really implemented as an analog attenuator after the ESS DAC?

BR52

@gustard, would you tell us if the volume knob is really implemented as an analog attenuator after the ESS DAC?
Would also be great to explain the differend types of capacitors in the left and right chanel i/v stage see #192.

Veri

Master Contributor
Would also be great to explain the differend types of capacitors in the left and right chanel i/v stage see #192.
They're not going to reveal every design decision :p

Danddd

I'd be curious of the differences between the X16 and X18. I have the X16 in my system and find it a little too polite. Dynamic range seems to be very low.

I have a full range system with a late 2014 Mac Mini using Qobuz through Audirvana using the USB port, a VTL 2.5 preamp, McCormack DNA 0.5 amp and Sonus faber Liuto tower speakers.

Top Bottom