• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AIYIMA D03 class D amplifier "Subjective review"

Schlippwhip68

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Interesting...
I have Redmi 9. DAC Topping pro + accepts LDAC format from this smartphone. There is a message on the smartphone that the LDAC codec is connected.
When communicating with D03 on a smartphone, SBC indication.
:eek:....:)....lol....crazy. I dont know as i use an iphone 8 and the quality is very good. I have just done a A/B cable test with my streamer and find that at least in my opinion that the RCA is the worst. Its dull, blanketed sound with no sharp instrument separation or detail but in stark contrast the coaxial, optical, usb and bluetooth are all excellent. I would say that the optical seems to have a slightly cleaner sound the coaxial and so my go to option.

Walter

Interesting...
I have Redmi 9. DAC Topping pro + accepts LDAC format from this smartphone. There is a message on the smartphone that the LDAC codec is connected.
LDAC is a Sony invention and Amir says the licensing process is extremely difficult, which is probably why we don't see it much on devices like this. A pity.

UAN

LDAC is a Sony invention and Amir says the licensing process is extremely difficult, which is probably why we don't see it much on devices like this. A pity.

The description of D03 indicates that the bluetooth module supports APTX HD, but in fact the smartphone includes the SBC codec. Therefore, I came to the conclusion that the APTX HD codec in D03 is not activated - a license is needed.

UAN

:eek:....:)....lol....crazy. I dont know as i use an iphone 8 and the quality is very good. I have just done a A/B cable test with my streamer and find that at least in my opinion that the RCA is the worst. Its dull, blanketed sound with no sharp instrument separation or detail but in stark contrast the coaxial, optical, usb and bluetooth are all excellent. I would say that the optical seems to have a slightly cleaner sound the coaxial and so my go to option.
Sounds good is very subjective.
I have an android and not an iPhone.
I also like the sound of D03 on bluetooth, but with APTX HD it should be even better.

Walter

Interesting...
Aiyima advertises APTX HD so the D03 supports it. I have seen numerous reports of the Redmi 9 not working with APTX and/or APTX HD. LDAC is a completely different codec. The D03 does NOT support LDAC.

The description of D03 indicates that the bluetooth module supports APTX HD, but in fact the smartphone includes the SBC codec. Therefore, I came to the conclusion that the APTX HD codec in D03 is not activated - a license is needed.
You have to think differently. The Aiyima can do aptx HD. The bottleneck is your smartphone. There is always a transmitter and receiver.

Maybe a costum rom or the developer mode on your smartphone will help.

Walter

My son has a Redmi 9 and uses Bluetooth a lot. We were able to get it to show APTX in dev mode, but couldn't connect to anything with it. That was a year ago, so it might no longer apply. Haven't tried since then, as he uses crappy speakers anyway.

UAN

You have to think differently. The Aiyima can do aptx HD. The bottleneck is your smartphone. There is always a transmitter and receiver.

Maybe a costum rom or the developer mode on your smartphone will help.

Thanks!
But, that's not the case for me.
On my smartphone Redmi 9 is the official, European firmware android 11 and it supports all bluetooth codecs.
On my smartphone, by default, the selection of the codec is automatic.
The best available codec is turned on, which is supported by the receiving module.
It is possible to select a codec in manual mode, but this is not convenient.
There are seven codecs available in total.

I have three devices with bluetooth.

D03 - SBC.
Topping dx3 pro+ - LDAC.
LOXJIE A30 - AAC.

Attachments

• CAM00203.jpg
    CAM00203.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:

AntGom

Has anyone tried the subwoofer output? Is it sufficient? Any problem to cross the speakers at desired frequency from the sub?

This is a review from amazon:
Sound is okay but when playing through bluetooth there is a sounds poping into my subs but only by using bluetooth connection
Almost a month now and still has popping noise when bluetooth is in use while playing music and when you pause i hear popping noise

Last edited:

Bushellj

None....?
I think this may well demonstrate where this amplifier is most likely to be used.

If I am a typical user, I just don't have room for a Sub and the SQ I get from a couple of decent bookshelf sized speakers (KEF Q15) is good enough.

Although this amplifier does work very well as the centre of an 2.1 AV System with the main source being optical from the TV, in our house it still has to remain wife friendly which means no Subs !!

AntGom

thanks...i will add a wireless subwoofer but i will play music most of the time thru bluetooth...if there is a problem when adding a sub, this will be a major problem for me....so i need to know if the above amazon's review was a single unit problem or a general problem with that amplifier....

Bushellj

:facepalm:
:D
which is it? pls make up your mind!
I have both the A07 and D03 amplifiers. I like both !! I also have several of the earlier generation A04 models which are also very good - These are the ones with the more sensitive inputs.

The D03 Analogue input does not seem to be as sensitive as the A07 or earlier A04 amplifiers so will play quieter for the same input level on the RCA Analogue inputs. The Digital inputs (Bluetooth, Optical etc.) all seem to play quite loud at a reduced volume level compared to the Analogue (RCA) input.

Of course this is all dependant on the output level of your source !! The A07 will of course operate at a higher voltage and give more output if required.

Whatever Aiyima model you choose they sound surprisingly good and you will not be disappointed at this price level. The D03 offers remote control and a small display and of course the Digital inputs. The Bluetooth on the D03 is better than the older A07 models that include Bluetooth (I would avoid these).

Schlippwhip68

Interesting about the sub woofer and Bluetooth connection accompanied by a 'popping'. Could it be the Sub itself rather than the amp, just a speculative question. I have a pair of Mission 751s with a 5 inch bass cone and I am considering pairing up a Sub with them. I would appreciate anybody with a similar setup using the D03 to leave any feedback. I am wondering if the sub will eat up the bass from the two Missions as opposed to an actual separate offering altogether. I am considering the Presonus Eris Sub 8 for the task in hand but if anybody has any suggestions for a sub within that price range I would also appreciate your feedback. There are a another two choices i could make one being the Wharfdale SW150 and the Cambridge Audio SW120, again all around the £150 area here in the UK.
I know the D05 has a separate feed for the sub using dual op amps and at this point i am unclear as to which unit may have the superior sub sound but I may speculate here and say it could the D05. Aiyima does not make it clear and seems to suggest that the D03 via DSP has the better offering but i may have misunderstood the accuracy of that statement which may have been lost in translation.

Last edited:

Schlippwhip68

Has anyone tried the subwoofer output? Is it sufficient? Any problem to cross the speakers at desired frequency from the sub?

This is a review from amazon:
Sound is okay but when playing through bluetooth there is a sounds poping into my subs but only by using bluetooth connection
Almost a month now and still has popping noise when bluetooth is in use while playing music and when you pause i hear popping noise
I would not bank on a Amazon review. I've found no matter the eloquence of the reviewer it is often down to inexperience that cause the issues. That popping could be anything. Im looking to hook a sub after the Christmas holidays and if I do i will let you know how I get on. I know that the D05 has a separate feed for the Sub using dual op amps which may provide a better sound than the DSP only feed on the D03. My next issue is deciding which sub to buy...?

AntGom

I would not bank on a Amazon review. I've found no matter the eloquence of the reviewer it is often down to inexperience that cause the issues. That popping could be anything. Im looking to hook a sub after the Christmas holidays and if I do i will let you know how I get on. I know that the D05 has a separate feed for the Sub using dual op amps which may provide a better sound than the DSP only feed on the D03. My next issue is deciding which sub to buy...?
i had send email at aiyima about the sub out if there is a crossover cut of frequency and they said yes, but they do not specified at what frequency....maybe you could contact them also?

Bushellj

The D05 uses an Op Amp to provide the Filter for the Sub as the chipset used doesn't support a third channel natively. The D03 does all the processing within the DSP - including the Bass and Treble controls. There is actually no reason why the D05 should sound "Better" than the D03. In fact the D03 with its DSP based filters could potentially provide much better handling of the Sub and the cross over between the sub and the main speakers. You need to set up the D03 using the menu system if you are going to use the Sub output.

I believe the newer and current chipset used in the D03 can provide up to 8 channels with the D03 implementation only using three - Left and Right main speakers and one channel used for the Sub. All the clever stuff is done in software by the DSP. The D05 uses a much older chipset that is now considered obsolete by Texas Instruments (chipset supplier) and no new amplifiers are being designed on this obsolete chipset.

Schlippwhip68

i had send email at aiyima about the sub out if there is a crossover cut of frequency and they said yes, but they do not specified at what frequency....maybe you could contact them also?
I have never used a sub before but in respect of finding the cut off frequency that would be possible by the adjustments on the sub and using your ears..

Schlippwhip68

The D05 uses an Op Amp to provide the Filter for the Sub as the chipset used doesn't support a third channel natively. The D03 does all the processing within the DSP - including the Bass and Treble controls. There is actually no reason why the D05 should sound "Better" than the D03. In fact the D03 with its DSP based filters could potentially provide much better handling of the Sub and the cross over between the sub and the main speakers. You need to set up the D03 using the menu system if you are going to use the Sub output.

I believe the newer and current chipset used in the D03 can provide up to 8 channels with the D03 implementation only using three - Left and Right main speakers and one channel used for the Sub. All the clever stuff is done in software by the DSP. The D05 uses a much older chipset that is now considered obsolete by Texas Instruments (chipset supplier) and no new amplifiers are being designed on this obsolete chipset.
Thanks for the clarification. That makes more sense and supports the slightly vague explanation on the Aiyima website as to the superiority of the D03 over the D05 in regards to the sub.

Top Bottom