• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Making my first Hi-Fi setup less bright/warmer

khrisr

Get a minidsp (2x4 HD or higher) and use the parametric EQ controls to bring down the highs. If you cannot take measurements just use frequency response graph from published reviews as guide. Treble should not be that much different from room to room so you can use those as reference for where to cut.

I see measurements for RP-600 here https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/klipsch-rp-600m-speaker-review.12138/

Not sure how similar those are to RP-500 but assuming they are seems like a high shelf cut at 2-3 kHz should do it.

D

Deleted member 24508

In 1974 I started my engineering degree at uni. I was interested in hifi as was our design lecturer. He took me to a demonstration of Klipsch speakers because he loved them, I found them ridiculously almost painfully bright. I have listened to every pair since to try and find what he thought was so great, sorry to me they have all sounded utterly terrible.

Willem

Major Contributor
If your teacher was old he may have had a hard time hearing the higher frequencies.:)
Seriously, in the case of the OP the speakers are very likely the cause, so the best option would be to replace them. The second best is to equalize them with REW and EqualizerApo/Peace. It is really not that hard.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
To close the loop, i and another member both suggested playing with the toe in or toe out. Can criss cross in front of you are toe out so the tweeters don’t converge at all. Depending on your listening position and room acoustics, you will prefer one or the other. Both should decrease the intensity of the treble versus on axis.

D

Deleted member 24508

If your teacher was old he may have had a hard time hearing the higher frequencies.:)
Seriously, in the case of the OP the speakers are very likely the cause, so the best option would be to replace them. The second best is to equalize them with REW and EqualizerApo/Peace. It is really not that hard.
I think if you find Klipsch speakers bright there is nothing you can do but change them. Equalisation just gets rid of signal, its a hammer to fix a peanut.

Top Bottom