• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D30 Pro + A30 Pro volume issue - active speakers in pre-amp, headphone in pure DAC mode

Jochie

Hey everybody,

Since a couple of weeks I'm the happy owner of the Topping D30pro + A30pro stack. I use the DAC in pre-amp mode for my active speakers. And at other times I use the A30pro as headphone-amp. The issue: I need to turn the volume down on the DAC when I switch from headphone to the active speakers. It's a bit of a hassle, with the chance that I'll forget sometime and blast my speakers at full volume. Is there a way to avoid this issue?

I connect the D30pro with XLR->Active Speakers and RCA->A30pro. I have both outputs on constantly.

Maybe it's a staggeringly easy answer, but I don't know. Thanks in advance.

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
I do not understand. Windows sound settings, I set the mas depth and rate. That is displayed on the DAC, but if I play a lower resolution file, why does it stay in the same mode? Is windows padding the bits and rate? Why does it not switch to the file format?

I still can't convince the display to keep the bit rate up, but I did figgure out press-and-hold to get out of setup.

What does Windows do if I tell it to play a 96K but the Windows properties are set for 44.1?

I am sure some may find these questions simple, but as I said, I have only done plug and play with CD FLAC files.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I do not understand. Windows sound settings, I set the mas depth and rate. That is displayed on the DAC, but if I play a lower resolution file, why does it stay in the same mode? Is windows padding the bits and rate? Why does it not switch to the file format?

I still can't convince the display to keep the bit rate up, but I did figgure out press-and-hold to get out of setup.

What does Windows do if I tell it to play a 96K but the Windows properties are set for 44.1?

I am sure some may find these questions simple, but as I said, I have only done plug and play with CD FLAC files.

In the standard shared mode Windows resamples and dithers everything to the rate and depth you set on the sound device. It has to do this in order to mix the output of different programs.

If you want the rate to switch with the file automatically you need to use a player and driver that support it by taking exclusive control of the audio device. Generally the standard Windows UAC2 driver and a player that can out WASAPI exclusive mode works the easiest.

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
OK, so all the comments to uncheck exclusive mode are in conflict.
The next step then is the player. Windows Media Player does not seem to.

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
Hmm. Opened Foobar and Winamp. Can't find config for either of them. What players do support these interfaces?

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom