• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What budget speakers you like to see reviewed?

GeorgeBynum

what about a new category?

51VIzJ2M5zL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Reminds me of the Sweet 16 of Popular Electronics somewhere in the 1960s. What's old is new again. (Of course, that was square, not a line array.)

test1223

Addicted to Fun and Learning
i saw that on their webpage. but still saying "inspired by KRK monitors" is wrong impov
That would be nice if they are better than the KRKs but it has to be proven. The KRK RP5 generation 3 had a tonal mismatch and I didn't liked them at all with that. The actual generation 4 was tested by armir and seems to be okay but not the best.

The reviewer don't praise the Behringer Nekkst which isn't a good sign, but I don't know a serious review with measurements.

test1223

I have the B2031A speakers and ordered a pair of Genelec 8030c speakers on the strength of the review here, thinking it would be an upgrade. I returned the 8030cs. I prefer the B2031a and I'd wager something like 7 out of 10 people would prefer the B2031A if directly compared to the 8030c. Both have strengths and weaknesses, but I'd say for most the strengths of the B2031A outweigh those of the 8030c and at 1/3rd of the cost.

It's a bold statement, I know, but I'm quite confident a strong majority of people would prefer the B2031a over the 8030c, if judging by ear alone. I didn't consider them an upgrade (at least in what I was looking for) compared to the B2031a.

I'd like to make a thread comparing (subjectively) the two speakers, but now see Amir is going to measure them soon. Would you guys prefer the thread before or after Amir measures them?
The Behringer 2031A are good but should also have a problem with none linear distortion and are a bit to hot in the higher frequencies, judging them by my ears only. I didn't put in the effort to measure them.
The Genelec 8030 should be much more clean at lower listening levels.

dasdoing

Major Contributor
Reminds me of the Sweet 16 of Popular Electronics somewhere in the 1960s. What's old is new again. (Of course, that was square, not a line array.)
some graphs http://channel.com.ph/product/cbt-50la-1-white/5713/

hat would be nice if they are better than the KRKs but it has to be proven. The KRK RP5 generation 3 had a tonal mismatch and I didn't liked them at all with that. The actual generation 4 was tested by armir and seems to be okay but not the best.

The reviewer don't praise the Behringer Nekkst which isn't a good sign, but I don't know a serious review with measurements.

Behringer products seam to be undertested. noone takes them serious. they might produce a lot of garbage, but we have seen good products, especialy when considering the price

Hiten

B2031A will be intresting since the B2030p tweeter performed very good in Amir's test but the woofer distorted
I think atleast B2030 A had different tweeter. Dont know if 2030P will have same tweeter.
The B2031A measurement Link
Regards

Matt0305

The JBL 135C. It would be nice to see how it compares to other recently measured slim center channel speakers. Also the new Polk XT35 or anything from their new XT line.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The JBL 135C. It would be nice to see how it compares to other recently measured slim center channel speakers. Also the new Polk XT35 or anything from their new XT line.
Already reviewed:

Matt0305

Already reviewed:

Thanks I missed that one. Disappointing results from JBL

EdTice

I am thinking it may make sense to buy a few budget but popular speakers to test. Or alternatively members buying and donating them to be tested. :)

So what is "in" these days as far as budget speakers? I am thinking under $200 for a pair.
How about the NHT SuperOne. I saw the abysmal review of the SuperZero. The SuperOne is a few dollars more (but they can be purchased in singles). I have a set that I use for rears behind a couch where a ported speaker would be useless. Price is $151 per unit right now on Amazon. I'm willing to purchase and send for testing if there's interest.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not budget by any means, but any of the Axiom/Bryston speakers using dual tweeters.

Hell, even their center channel uses dual tweeters (and spaced far apart):
VP180_Oak_Black.jpg

The towers use dual tweeters and dual midrange but latter also together and not in an MTM configuration:
M100_Cherry_Boston.jpg

Also, does anyone know the relationship between Axiom & Bryston? Seems Bryston’s versions use different drivers and better cabinets. Here’s the Bryston version of the above tower speaker:
Model-T-Walnut-No-Grille-Lifestyle.jpg

Last edited:

AlexanderM

Not budget by any means, but any of the Axiom/Bryston speakers using dual tweeters.

Hell, even their center channel uses dual tweeters (and spaced far apart):
VP180_Oak_Black.jpg

The towers use dual tweeters and dual midrange but latter also together and not in an MTM configuration:
M100_Cherry_Boston.jpg

Also, does anyone know the relationship between Axiom & Bryston? Seems Bryston’s versions use different drivers and better cabinets. Here’s the Bryston version of the above tower speaker:
Model-T-Walnut-No-Grille-Lifestyle.jpg
My understanding is the speakers are all made by Axiom, they have a deal with Bryston. I would love to see anything by Axiom reviewed, but as you said they aren't budget speakers. I was looking at Axiom a while back, right when this happened, I hadn't noticed the change in drivers until now, I thought they were just selling the exact same models as Axiom.

Last edited:

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My understanding is the speakers are all made by Axiom, they have a deal with Bryston. I would love to see anything by Axiom reviewed, but as you said they aren't budget speakers. I was looking at Axiom a while back, right when this happened, I hadn't noticed the change in drivers until now, I thought they were just selling the exact same models as Axiom.
Axiom is also the only company I’ve seen where you get a discount if you want to wait a bit longer for it to ship. Their cabinet/grille colors are also much more numerous than most.

escape2

Another vote for KEF Q150.

Compared to my old PSB Alpha B, the Q150 look a bit messy based on measurements in my room. Curious what Klippel would show.

Top Bottom