• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Microsoft | Windows 10 | Apps | Skype ... All Latest News

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, all the crap with Windows is why I finally purchased a Mac. Not something I wanted to do. Its possible to run Windows okay, but I decided we are way too far along that to be safe and have workable Windows it should become a bit of a hobby of mine. Plus any Win machines that hadn't been fired up for a month weren't really mine to use until they finished exhaustive updates. I mostly run Linux, but need one of the big two OS's for smoothly interacting with some other tech gear like recording interfaces, some printers and such. So a single Mac that will allow that and not frustrate the heck out of me whenever I use it. Plus Linux for real computing.

Migrated all my non-techie friends and relatives onto Chromebooks or Chromeboxes the last two years, and man was that a smart move. I would almost feel smart, but should have done it a year sooner. Everyone else that still calls about Windows issues? I'm just like the maid baby, I don't do windows.

OP
NorthSky

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
I'm a novice when it comes to computers and Windows.
My life has been in turmoil several times during my Windows journey.
I am @ a point of a new direction. The unknown ahead cannot be worst than the déjà vu behind?

I cannot blame my inexperience, that wouldn't be fair.
I blame the complexities we have to thread between.
I like smooth operators, life's simplicity.
Apple people seems to be more @ peace than Windows people, in my overall view.

Are there Apple people who have been with Apple say for twenty years or so who switched to Windows, and vice versa?

I keep up with Windows latest news because it's part of my lifestyle.
All the money in the world and computer experts cannot prevent the occasional crashes, scandals from Facebook, Google, Twitter, ...

I'm going shopping tomorrow morning on Amazon ...
Earlier today I've read some harsh news about bitcoin.
It sure isn't like going to the bank, when you deal online with your computer.

April will see Microsoft busy with Windows 10 updates and upgrades and fixes. April will see Facebook, Google and Twitter giving their testimonies on client's privacy.

I gave up on the thread I started a while back: Hacking. There's just too much of it, everyday, it is epidemic, non-stop, ...the world wide web is expanding exponentially in all directions...like the universe. But it is not orbiting natural when run by machines created by humans.

Tomorrow morning, serious shopping ...

Apesbrain

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Tomorrow morning, serious shopping ...
For what exactly? If you use the internet or a cellphone, you are being tracked. That's the choice: those things or your privacy. Windows/Mac/linux/whatever; it really makes no difference. As soon as you go online -- hello, ASR Forum -- or install the Facebook app, you're giving your information away.

Switch your searches to DuckDuckGo as they promise not to track your activity. Opera browser now has a built-in VPN so that's a level of anonymity if you remember to use it. You could subscribe to a paid VPN service and use it for everything internet. Still, when you sign into Facebook you're right out there again. And, are you going to give up your cellphone?

No corporate entity is going to act in your interest when there is money to be made. The "social media" companies have clearly demonstrated they need regulation and outside oversight in order to respect your right to privacy. Privacy laws need to explicitly address electronic data gathering. None of this is likely to happen soon.

Until then, it's up to you to decide what you want and what you'll give away in return. Let me offer you a suggestion: get off Facebook, and Instagram, and Twitter, and WhatsApp, and Google, and any other app or site that exploits your personal information. This is not easy to do, but it starts with you. Take back your life.

OP
NorthSky

NorthSky

Major Contributor
For what exactly? If you use the internet or a cellphone, you are being tracked. That's the choice: those things or your privacy. Windows/Mac/linux/whatever; it really makes no difference. As soon as you go online -- hello, ASR Forum -- or install the Facebook app, you're giving your information away.

Switch your searches to DuckDuckGo as they promise not to track your activity. Opera browser now has a built-in VPN so that's a level of anonymity if you remember to use it. You could subscribe to a paid VPN service and use it for everything internet. Still, when you sign into Facebook you're right out there again. And, are you going to give up your cellphone?

No corporate entity is going to act in your interest when there is money to be made. The "social media" companies have clearly demonstrated they need regulation and outside oversight in order to respect your right to privacy. Privacy laws need to explicitly address electronic data gathering. None of this is likely to happen soon.

Until then, it's up to you to decide what you want and what you'll give away in return. Let me offer you a suggestion: get off Facebook, and Instagram, and Twitter, and WhatsApp, and Google, and any other app or site that exploits your personal information. This is not easy to do, but it starts with you. Take back your life.

"Let me offer you a suggestion: get off Facebook, and Instagram, and Twitter, and WhatsApp, and Google, and any other app or site that exploits your personal information. This is not easy to do, but it starts with you. Take back your life."

OP
NorthSky

NorthSky

Major Contributor
https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo...ion-in-market-value-playboy-spacex-tesla-exit

"Last week showed how much more work we need to do to enforce our policies and help people understand how Facebook works and the choices they have over their data," Facebook Chief Privacy Officer Erin Egan and Deputy General Counsel Ashlie Beringer said in a statement. "We're taking additional steps in the coming weeks to put people more in control of their privacy."

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/26/tesla-ceo-elon-musk-tweets-why-he-doesnt-like-facebook.html

OP
NorthSky

NorthSky

Major Contributor
"...put people more in control of their privacy."

Lol, we don't need people more in control of our privacy, they do.
Nobody wants to invest in security and privacy, nobody. Not even Microsoft.

Google is a mess of privacy breach, Microsoft is pushing Edge, our emails are more vulnerable than ever, we live in a world of bandits, control freaks, money addicts and hackers.

And this, is the new world of advanced technologies, bitcoin and all that jazz!

I'm not done shopping yet ...

Last edited:

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Almost all the computer programming I did was pre-Microsoft.
I chose an Analog Devices process control computer to run our wind tunnel in 1980 before Microsoft machines were available because an Apple II or Hewlett Packard computer system were too expensive. Computers were built to order then and it took months to come.
It worked well and reliably, CP/M based using Analog Devices Basic enhanced with commands to drive analogue and digital outputs and read analogue inputs but it had a tiny green on black display and used a Scotch DC100 tape for programme storage and results - I basically had to do a printout to file in order to keep the results safe.
Nigel Mansell won an Olivetti PC for pole position at the South African GP 1985 which he gave to me, with its huge display and floppy drives, wow.
Analog Devices had introduced a card for PC with all the inputs and outputs I needed and produced a version of the enhanced Basic which ran on MS-DOS. I started doing the little mods to the CP/M routines needed to get it to run on the MS-DOS machine but couldn't get it working, or thought I couldn't. The machine seemed to hang on every routine.
Anyway I wandered downstairs to make a cup of tea and to my surprise when I got back to my desk the subroutine I had been testing had run. More checks showed the PC running MS-DOS was about 50x slower than the 5 year old Analog Devices Maxsym 2 running CP/M.
I was not impressed by Microsoft technology (but admired their marketing skills and the strength of their legal dept which had written a contract with IBM that I was sure they would have liked to get out of but couldn't, I wouldn't have accepted MS-DOS if I wasn't legally hogtied)
Anyway, with PCs dominating the market, and my thinking their OS was complete shit I stopped writing any more code, and hired somebody else to take the frustration.
I used PCs for decades at work but swore Microsoft would never receive one penny of my own money, which they didn't until I bought my wife Word to do yet another degree at the Open University.
At home I chose a Mac. It was apparently much more expensive, but given that it used a Motorola 16-bit processor with a 32-bit data bus compared to the Intel 8-bit and 8-bit data bus on the PC, combined with a spectacularly better OS I thought it was much better value for money.
MS-DOS versions of Windows weren't any better than since they barely ever worked. NT was the first non-shite version IMO.
I do have a little Linux box, but frankly don't need it at all though I may change since Apple is going down hill in software IMO.

The only other company I avoid as much as possible, and it ain't easy, is Google. They are the computing equivalent of pickpockets IMO.

OP
NorthSky

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Great post Frank. And you are right on everything, including Apple's own issues. Google is becoming the infernal exterminator fire in the home of Satan, hell. And who's running Google ....

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
All of that is totally true but since next to no games or commercial/line-of-business/ERP software runs on Mac or Linux Microsoft is going to have to keep screwing things up for at least another decade before their market share begins to significantly erode.

OP
NorthSky

NorthSky

Major Contributor
I'm thinking about developing a new computer company...the Matrix.
Fully wireless, battery powered, solar panel rechargeable, completely upgradeable.
I'm searching for couple partners?

OP
NorthSky

NorthSky

Major Contributor

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
OP
NorthSky

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Interesting, and it seems to be aiming @ some Canadians; they are targeted by Apple.
That's not very nice coming up from Apple, a trillion dollars company.
What kind of bugs are flying in their CEO headquarters?
Who's behind that, anything to do with NAFTA, a new trade harassment?

Apple is not the only one deleting stuff, the big white home is deleting some type of files too.

* iTunes is big in Canada. There must be something behind that, an Apple's conspiracy targeting specific Canadians?

Ray, as a Floridian expert in everything living and dying, what is your scientific theory, anything related with Florence's downpours or Internet downloading and streaming?

Why are we talking about Apple and iTunes in a Microsoft and Windows 10 thread, for expanded knowledge, of course, for expansion.

I'm going to follow this story, I want to know exactly what drives Apple with deleting movies on iTunes in Canadian accounts, and downgrading 4K movies to regular standard definition.This smells bizarre; I thought that movies and music files were on the ascension and physical discs on the recession.

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Last edited:
Top Bottom