• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Behringer A800 Stereo Amplifier Review

nathan

Probably because its technically safer to have all gear grounded? And the better solutiuon for a ground loop hum is to fix how your AC is connected/routed?

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Probably because its technically safer to have all gear grounded? And the better solutiuon for a ground loop hum is to fix how your AC is connected/routed?
But that's NOT what a ground-lift switch does. It should NEVER EVER remove the safety ground, it should only remove the connection between the audio ground and safety ground. Anything else is lethal.

S.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

marX

So, it's 169 Pounds in thomann.de and I'm in the middle of a dilemma. My speakers are gonna be the Wharfedale 220 and have a DAC (topping NX4 DSD).
The Allo D is available for like 91 Pounds and other Chinese amps like Topping, Sabaj and Loxjie slightly higher.

Would it work for my purpose (a small dorm room stereo)?

gasolin75

Addicted to Fun and Learning
So, it's 169 Pounds in thomann.de and I'm in the middle of a dilemma. My speakers are gonna be the Wharfedale 220 and have a DAC (topping NX4 DSD).
The Allo D is available for like 91 Pounds and other Chinese amps like Topping, Sabaj and Loxjie slightly higher.

Would it work for my purpose (a small dorm room stereo)?

No i mean they say 3-4 weeks

I bought the IMG STAGE LINE STA-400D, disconnect the fans,It's not close to being toasty, the bass is really good and it has alot of power

gasolin75

Alternatively a Yamaha AS501?
not if he needs a power amp and the extra power it has, power amps are superior in power compared to a similar priced integrated amp

Can you even get a Yamaha AS501 for the same price as a Behringer A800 ?

marX

Alternatively a Yamaha AS501?
No, budget constraints! Otherwise, I would have got the Hypex ones instead (btw, I have a Yamaha AS500 back home - couldn't bring it coz of the weight).
No i mean they say 3-4 weeks

I bought the IMG STAGE LINE STA-400D, disconnect the fans,It's not close to being toasty, the bass is really good and it has alot of power

Yeah, I'm only noticing it now! But yeah, I can wait!

gasolin75

Ordered, Delivery date: Feb 21, 2022

changer

This is going to be the best Christmas ever, you can narrow down the options of possible gifts to what is available in the stores. Forget the supply chain. And the prices. Faital has increased their prices by 150 % on some drivers!

Nightyard

I'm tempted to sell all of my six Behringer A800 amps for £150 each in favour of buying some Nord ncore/similar multichannel amps to save some space lol. They're like new of course. I bought them earlier in the year.

hansik

I'm tempted to sell all of my six Behringer A800 amps for £150 each in favour of buying some Nord ncore/similar multichannel amps to save some space lol. They're like new of course. I bought them earlier in the year.
You will never hear the difference, i would only consider that for LCR.
Less space yeah :)

Nightyard

You will never hear the difference, i would only consider that for LCR.
Less space yeah :)
Yeah, absolutely agree. The tweeters of all my speakers have some hiss from these amps though. Its minimal when set to 75% gain on the amps but i can still hear it when within 50cm of speaker. Mainly its the space saving though as i have my system in my living room and dont have any space for an av rack.

Nightyard

The A800 is doing a great job with my newly acquired KEF LS50 Meta. The hiss from the tweeter is less than it is from my KEF CI3160RL system.

They haven't got many hours on them yet so I'm expecting the sound to improve too. very very clean-sounding pairing. I'm using a SONCOZ LA-QXD1 DAC.

WhatsApp Image 2021-12-02 at 4.12.55 PM.jpeg

Saabale

Hi, I've read a lot of good reviews throughout the thread and I've read that someone would compare this to $ 1000 or so hi-fi amps.
Now I would like to buy a pair of b&w 603 s2 anniversary, I know they are difficult to drive because they have low impedance and sensitivity and want strong amplifications. a seller told me about marantz 7000 and hegel h95. the Marantz certainly lacks the necessary power and the Hegel, given the price and the negative review of this forum, I would not buy it.
buying a network streamer (Marantz or Cambridge audio maybe) and this a800 could be a smart and cheap but limitless pairing for b&w? or does this amp is too cheap to drive the b&w?
I feel good vibes from this choice (also my bank account feel it)

thank you

Pulkass

I have 3 of them in my system. What to say? I think they could drive your B&W s . They have power and good SINAD. If you can afford buy New hi Res Topping pre amp, balanced, and two NCore mono Hypex.

Pulkass

You're not supposed to change the volume of a power amp. Pro units offer you the ability too but many installers set it once and then pull the buttons off so nobody can mess with them by accident. You change the volume on the pre-amp.
In my case volume control is very handy, I have a 3 way electronically x overed , 3 amped system, tweeters amp must have volume full down, while switching off the whole rig, I have burned many a scan Speak tweeters coils, forgetting to do such maneuvre. Pre amp volume is down of course, but the surge in tweeters is very dangerous.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In my case volume control is very handy, I have a 3 way electronically x overed , 3 amped system, tweeters amp must have volume full down, while switching off the whole rig, I have burned many a scan Speak tweeters coils, forgetting to do such maneuvre. Pre amp volume is down of course, but the surge in tweeters is very dangerous.
If you haven't already done so, I very much recommend capacitors in series with the tweeters and mid-range to protect these against both the switching on/off pulse and the possibility of an amplifier going DC and putting 50+ volts through your drivers. My Behringer A500s don't make any noise switching off, but there's a small thump switching on, but even without that, I'd still feel nervous without capacitors. They need to be large enough so they don't interfere with the crossover, but small enough to block low frequencies effectively. I calculated mine to give a -3dB point about half the crossover frequency, then went to the next standard size up.

S.

Top Bottom