• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Monitor Audio Silver 100 Review (Speaker)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 15 5.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 62 23.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 157 59.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 30 11.4%

• Total voters

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a review and detailed measurements of the Monitor Audio Silver 100 bookshelf speaker. It is on kind loan from a member and was just discontinued. It still sells for $799.
Monitor Audio Silver 100 Review stand-mount Bookshelf Speaker.jpg

As you see, the Silver 100 is a very attractive speaker. It feels substantial compared to more budget speakers. Back panel shows the obligatory bi-wire binding posts:
Monitor Audio Silver 100 Review back pane stand-mount Bookshelf Speaker.jpg

When I was testing the speaker, I could readily hear resonances from the cabinet. I traced most of it to the upper screw for wall mounting. It was loose. I tightened it and got rid of 80% of it.

Measurements that you are about to see were performed using the Klippel Near-field Scanner (NFS). This is a robotic measurement system that analyzes the speaker all around and is able (using advanced mathematics and dual scan) to subtract room reflections (so where I measure it doesn't matter). It also measures the speaker at close distance ("near-field") which sharply reduces the impact of room noise. Both of these factors enable testing in ordinary rooms yet results that can be more accurate than an anechoic chamber. In a nutshell, the measurements show the actual sound coming out of the speaker independent of the room.

Measurements are compliant with latest speaker research into what can predict the speaker preference and is standardized in CEA/CTA-2034 ANSI specifications. Likewise listening tests are performed per research that shows mono listening is much more revealing of differences between speakers than stereo or multichannel.

Reference axis was the center of the tweeter (aligned by eye). The grill was not used. It is getting colder with the measurement room temp at 14 degrees C. Accuracy is better than 1% for almost entire audio spectrum indicating a well designed speaker.

Monitor Audio Silver 100 Measurements
Acoustic measurements can be grouped in a way that can be perceptually analyzed to determine how good a speaker is and how it can be used in a room. This so called spinorama shows us just about everything we need to know about the speaker with respect to tonality and some flaws:

Monitor Audio Silver 100 Measurement Frequency Response stand-mount Bookshelf Speaker.png

Seems like good attempt was made to create a flat on-axis response. We do have some droop above 300 Hz though. And there is a pronounced resonance around 2.5 kHz as indicated. In the same region, we see the directivity become much wider showing a mismatch between the beam pattern of the woofer and tweeter. This causes a broad dip in off-axis response:
Monitor Audio Silver 100 Measurement Early Window Frequency Response stand-mount Bookshelf Spe...png

Impacting the predicted in-room response:

Monitor Audio Silver 100 Measurement Predicted in-room Frequency Response stand-mount Bookshel...png

Still, not too bad.

Looking at near-field response of the drivers we see that the woofer response is to blame for the off-axis response errors:

Monitor Audio Silver 100 Measurement Driver Frequency Response stand-mount Bookshelf Speaker.png

As mentioned, there is directivity mismatch between the woofer and tweeter:

Monitor Audio Silver 100 Measurement Horizontal Beamwidth Response stand-mount Bookshelf Speaker.png

Monitor Audio Silver 100 Measurement Horizontal Directivity Response stand-mount Bookshelf Spe...png

Fixing that would have required narrower beamwidth through use of a larger waveguide for the tweeter.

Vertical directivity is usually not great in 2-way speakers but here is more acute:

Monitor Audio Silver 100 Measurement Vertical Directivity Response stand-mount Bookshelf Speaker.png

So make sure to point the tweeter axis at your ear. Otherwise you will have even a larger hole in response around 2 kHz.

Distortion is well controlled in bass but there is some error around crossover (I am guessing it is the woofer):

Monitor Audio Silver 100 Measurement THD Distortion Response stand-mount Bookshelf Speaker.png

Monitor Audio Silver 100 Measurement Distortion Response stand-mount Bookshelf Speaker.png

Impedance measurement shows some resonances as usual and minimum impedance which is slightly above average:
Monitor Audio Silver 100 Measurement Impedance and phase Response stand-mount Bookshelf Speaker.png

For fans of timing measurements, here are the waterfall, impulse and step responses:

Monitor Audio Silver 100 Measurement CSD Waterfall Response stand-mount Bookshelf Speaker.png

Monitor Audio Silver 100 Measurement Impulse Response stand-mount Bookshelf Speaker.png

Monitor Audio Silver 100 Measurement Step Response stand-mount Bookshelf Speaker.png

Monitor Audio Silver 100 Speaker Listening Tests and Equalization
The first impression was of slight brightness. But otherwise not too bad. My chops were busted when I tried to develop an EQ for it though. I must have spent an hour creating various filters and abandoning them because they did not in balance improve the sound across multiple music tracks. Eventually, I landed on this simple set of two filters:

Monitor Audio Silver 100 Equalization EQ stand-mount Bookshelf Speaker.png

It was developed by following the predicted in-room response. I don't have huge confidence in it though but thought I share it.

I found the sound with EQ in place to be spatially large, likely due to wide dispersion of the tweeter. I swapped the Revel M16 in its place and it definitely had a smaller halo around it (but also did not sound bright).

Conclusions
The Silver 100 looks gorgeous and seems to have good engineering behind it to create a good response. It does however have a few small scale flaws. Because their scale was small, it was hard to evaluate their impact and develop correction for it. All else being equal, I rather see a speaker with larger error that are easy to identify and fix. :) Such was not the case here. I let you judge its performance then based on data you see as my subjective assessment is weak in this regard.

I am going to give a recommendation to Monitor Audio Silver 100 with the bit of EQ in place. Hopefully we can get our hands on the "G7" version to see if they have made any refinements that mitigate the issues I found.
-----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

Attachments

• Monitor Audio Silever 100 Frequency response ASR.zip
    61.2 KB · Views: 240

Dmitri

Forum Donor
FYI, and knowing this from having just purchased a Monitor Audio C350 center channel for my system, that “mounting screw” is actually a through driver mount screw...The drivers are afixed to the front by a tensioning screw in the back. Note there are no screws attaching the drivers to the front baffle. My caveat with this system is not the design, but no mention of the fact in the enclosed manual that you are supposed to snug these screws once you have determined your speaker placement. No doubt, loose drivers might cause some resonance!

I can concur with the slightly overly bright presentation, but for movies...and ergo mainly dialogue for a center channel, I consider that an asset for older ears. ; )

Oh yeah! And thanks for the review Amirm! Kind of nice to get a fairly positive follow up that, though not specific to my latest purchase, confirms my impressions.

mightycicadalord

Addicted to Fun and Learning
FYI, and knowing this from having just purchased a Monitor Audio C350 center channel for my system, that “mounting screw” is actually a through driver mount screw...The drivers are afixed to the front by a tensioning screw in the back. Note there are no screws attaching the drivers to the front baffle.

Interesting decision :/

fcracer

Forum Donor
Great to see Monitor Audio’s Silver series represented here. I’ve been using them since the RX6 generation and currently have the Silver 6. The combination of build quality, frequency response, great looks, and availability is hard to beat. I’d like to try Revel next but they’re impossible to get where I live.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
FYI, and knowing this from having just purchased a Monitor Audio C350 center channel for my system, that “mounting screw” is actually a through driver mount screw...The drivers are afixed to the front by a tensioning screw in the back. Note there are no screws attaching the drivers to the front baffle. My caveat with this system is not the design, but no mention of the fact in the enclosed manual that you are supposed to snug these screws once you have determined your speaker placement. No doubt, loose drivers might cause some resonance!
Wow, had no idea that is what they were for! The top screw was extremely loose in this sample.

Beave

Major Contributor
Thanks for reviewing this. I've owned several Monitor Audio Silver speakers over the years (but not this one).

Among those I owned was the RX2, which was two generations prior to this model. IMO it had pretty impressive bass, and pretty nice highs, but there were a couple of things wrong in the mids - a scoop around the crossover and a resonance somewhere around there as well. This one appears to be quite similar but a little better in all respects.

Here are some non-Klippel measurements of the predecessor RX2:
Monitor Audio RX2 Measurements

Last edited:

pierre

Forum Donor
Nice little speaker.

Score would be 4.9 and climb to 5.4 with the eq below.

Code:
         SPK auEQ                                                                                              
-----------------                                                                                              
NBD  ON 0.54 0.54                                                                                              
NBD  LW 0.36 0.35                                                                                              
NBD PIR 0.34 0.30                                                                                              
SM  PIR 0.73 0.89                                                                                              
SM   SP 0.79 0.93                                                                                              
LFX       44   45                                                                                              
LFQ     0.75 0.74                                                                                              
-----------------                                                                                              
Score    4.9  5.4                                                                                              
-----------------                                                                                              
+4.94 +5.39 Monitor Audio Silver 100

the eq itself which optimise for a flat LW with some smoothing to remove sharp changes and a maxQ of 2. The eq is mostly trying to flatten small
peaks/dips and I am not sure it is very useful.

Code:
EQ for Monitor Audio Silver 100 computed from ASR data
Preference Score 4.9 with EQ 5.4
Generated from http://github.com/pierreaubert/spinorama/generate_peqs.py v0.14
Dated: 2021-12-20-21:38:14

Preamp: -1.7 dB

Filter  1: ON PK Fc   143 Hz Gain -1.17 dB Q 1.96
Filter  2: ON PK Fc   382 Hz Gain +0.97 dB Q 2.00
Filter  3: ON PK Fc  1670 Hz Gain +2.10 dB Q 1.98
Filter  4: ON PK Fc  4494 Hz Gain -0.81 dB Q 1.25
Filter  5: ON PK Fc  2579 Hz Gain +1.25 dB Q 1.98
Filter  6: ON PK Fc  1086 Hz Gain +0.85 dB Q 1.99
Filter  7: ON PK Fc  2111 Hz Gain -1.05 dB Q 0.56
Filter  8: ON PK Fc  2551 Hz Gain +1.45 dB Q 1.96
Filter  9: ON PK Fc  2459 Hz Gain -1.48 dB Q 1.99

filters_eq.png

Last edited:

Beave

Major Contributor
And Stereophile reviewed the much older, early generation version of this speaker, the Silver S2, back in 2003. The S2 had major resonances from the midwoofer that weren't well suppressed by the crossover. You can definitely see the improvements in the new model.

Monitor Audio Silver S2 Stereophile Measurements

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
The top screw connects to a housing that backs up the tweeter.

The bottom screw goes directly into the back of the woofer magnet.
Yah, my old pair had loose screws.
All that effort to decouple the drivers is lost if the screws get loose.
Oh well.

Great review as always @amirm nice to see a MA sample. Prolly not my jam but these do well in the subjective/reviewer press.

Maiky76

This is a review and detailed measurements of the Monitor Audio Silver 100 bookshelf speaker. It is on kind loan from a member and was just discontinued. It still sells for $799.
View attachment 173493
As you see, the Silver 100 is a very attractive speaker. It feels substantial compared to more budget speakers. Back panel shows the obligatory bi-wire binding posts:
View attachment 173494

When I was testing the speaker, I could readily hear resonances from the cabinet. I traced most of it to the upper screw for wall mounting. It was loose. I tightened it and got rid of 80% of it.

Measurements that you are about to see were performed using the Klippel Near-field Scanner (NFS). This is a robotic measurement system that analyzes the speaker all around and is able (using advanced mathematics and dual scan) to subtract room reflections (so where I measure it doesn't matter). It also measures the speaker at close distance ("near-field") which sharply reduces the impact of room noise. Both of these factors enable testing in ordinary rooms yet results that can be more accurate than an anechoic chamber. In a nutshell, the measurements show the actual sound coming out of the speaker independent of the room.

Measurements are compliant with latest speaker research into what can predict the speaker preference and is standardized in CEA/CTA-2034 ANSI specifications. Likewise listening tests are performed per research that shows mono listening is much more revealing of differences between speakers than stereo or multichannel.

Reference axis was the center of the tweeter (aligned by eye). The grill was not used. It is getting colder with the measurement room temp at 14 degrees C. Accuracy is better than 1% for almost entire audio spectrum indicating a well designed speaker.

Monitor Audio Silver 100 Measurements
Acoustic measurements can be grouped in a way that can be perceptually analyzed to determine how good a speaker is and how it can be used in a room. This so called spinorama shows us just about everything we need to know about the speaker with respect to tonality and some flaws:

View attachment 173495

Seems like good attempt was made to create a flat on-axis response. We do have some droop above 300 Hz though. And there is a pronounced resonance around 2.5 kHz as indicated. In the same region, we see the directivity become much wider showing a mismatch between the beam pattern of the woofer and tweeter. This causes a broad dip in off-axis response:
View attachment 173496

Impacting the predicted in-room response:

View attachment 173497

Still, not too bad.

Looking at near-field response of the drivers we see that the woofer response is to blame for the off-axis response errors:

View attachment 173498

As mentioned, there is directivity mismatch between the woofer and tweeter:

View attachment 173499

View attachment 173500

Fixing that would have required narrower beamwidth through use of a larger waveguide for the tweeter.

Vertical directivity is usually not great in 2-way speakers but here is more acute:

View attachment 173502

So make sure to point the tweeter axis at your ear. Otherwise you will have even a larger hole in response around 2 kHz.

Distortion is well controlled in bass but there is some error around crossover (I am guessing it is the woofer):

View attachment 173504
View attachment 173505

Impedance measurement shows some resonances as usual and minimum impedance which is slightly above average:
View attachment 173509

For fans of timing measurements, here are the waterfall, impulse and step responses:

View attachment 173506

View attachment 173507

View attachment 173508

Monitor Audio Silver 100 Speaker Listening Tests and Equalization
The first impression was of slight brightness. But otherwise not too bad. My chops were busted when I tried to develop an EQ for it though. I must have spent an hour creating various filters and abandoning them because they did not in balance improve the sound across multiple music tracks. Eventually, I landed on this simple set of two filters:

View attachment 173510

It was developed by following the predicted in-room response. I don't have huge confidence in it though but thought I share it.

I found the sound with EQ in place to be spatially large, likely due to wide dispersion of the tweeter. I swapped the Revel M16 in its place and it definitely had a smaller halo around it (but also did not sound bright).

Conclusions
The Silver 100 looks gorgeous and seems to have good engineering behind it to create a good response. It does however have a few small scale flaws. Because their scale was small, it was hard to evaluate their impact and develop correction for it. All else being equal, I rather see a speaker with larger error that are easy to identify and fix. :) Such was not the case here. I let you judge its performance then based on data you see as my subjective assessment is weak in this regard.

I am going to give a recommendation to Monitor Audio Silver 100 with the bit of EQ in place. Hopefully we can get our hands on the "G7" version to see if they have made any refinements that mitigate the issues I found.
-----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

Hi,

Here is my take on the EQ.

The following EQs are “anechoic” EQs to get the speaker right before room integration. If you able to implement these EQs you must add EQ at LF for room integration, that is usually not optional… see hints there: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...helf-speaker-review.11144/page-26#post-800725

The raw data with corrected ER and PIR:

Score no EQ: 4.8
With Sub: 7.0

Spinorama with no EQ:
  • Not Smooth
  • Directivity issue
  • Some resonances
  • Not horrible
Monitor Audio Silver 100 No EQ Spinorama.png

Directivity:

Better stay at tweeter height
Horizontally, better toe-in the speakers by 10/20deg and have the axis crossing in front of the listening location, might help dosing the upper range.
Monitor Audio Silver 100 2D surface Directivity Contour Only Data.png
Monitor Audio Silver 100 LW Better data.png

EQ design:

I have generated two EQs. The APO config files are attached.
  • The first one, labelled, LW is targeted at making the LW flat
  • The second, labelled Score, starts with the first one and adds the score as an optimization variable.
  • The EQs are designed in the context of regular stereo use i.e. domestic environment, no warranty is provided for a near field use in a studio environment although the LW might be better suited for this purpose.
Score EQ LW: 5.4
with sub: 7.4

Score EQ Score: 5.9
with sub: 7.9

Code:
Monitor Audio Silver 100 APO EQ LW 96000Hz
December202021-133023

Preamp: -2.4 dB

Filter 1: ON HPQ Fc 45.91,    0.00,    1.30
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 129.88,    -2.54,    0.90
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 439.06,    0.78,    2.46
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 640.29,    -2.12,    2.23
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 2464.09,    -2.55,    9.92
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 4252.46,    -1.40,    5.90
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 9252.46,    -0.70,    1.90
Filter 8: ON PK Fc 17203.23,    2.00,    3.64

Monitor Audio Silver 100 APO EQ Score 96000Hz
December202021-132926

Preamp: -2.3 dB

Filter 1: ON HPQ Fc 45.86,    0.00,    1.30
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 130.88,    -2.70,    0.90
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 496.76,    0.99,    3.99
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 627.78,    -2.61,    2.23
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 1627.78,    -1.00,    4.23
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 2486.31,    -3.06,    9.92
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 4379.09,    -1.50,    3.27
Filter 8: ON PK Fc 6644.06,    -1.38,    1.36
Filter 9: ON PK Fc 11098.65,    -1.40,    1.95
Filter 10: ON PK Fc 17911.42,    2.00,    4.00

Monitor Audio Silver 100 EQ Design.png

Spinorama EQ LW
Monitor Audio Silver 100 EQ LW Spinorama.png

Spinorama EQ Score
Monitor Audio Silver 100 EQ Score Spinorama.png

Zoom PIR-LW-ON
Monitor Audio Silver 100 Zoom.png

Regression - Tonal
Monitor Audio Silver 100 Regression-Tonal.png

Radar no EQ vs EQ score
Some improvements
Monitor Audio Silver 100 Radar.png
The rest of the plots is attached.

Attachments

• Monitor Audio Silver 100 3D surface Vertical Directivity Data.png
    Monitor Audio Silver 100 3D surface Vertical Directivity Data.png
    449.8 KB · Views: 187
  • Monitor Audio Silver 100 2D surface Directivity Contour Data.png
    Monitor Audio Silver 100 2D surface Directivity Contour Data.png
    299.4 KB · Views: 175
  • Monitor Audio Silver 100 3D surface Horizontal Directivity Data.png
    Monitor Audio Silver 100 3D surface Horizontal Directivity Data.png
    463.9 KB · Views: 107
  • Monitor Audio Silver 100 Vertical 3D Directivity data.png
    Monitor Audio Silver 100 Vertical 3D Directivity data.png
    526.1 KB · Views: 181
  • Monitor Audio Silver 100 Horizontal 3D Directivity data.png
    Monitor Audio Silver 100 Horizontal 3D Directivity data.png
    549.1 KB · Views: 109
  • Monitor Audio Silver 100 Normalized Directivity data.png
    Monitor Audio Silver 100 Normalized Directivity data.png
    317.4 KB · Views: 189
  • Monitor Audio Silver 100 Raw Directivity data.png
    Monitor Audio Silver 100 Raw Directivity data.png
    497.9 KB · Views: 178
  • Monitor Audio Silver 100 Reflexion data.png
    Monitor Audio Silver 100 Reflexion data.png
    144 KB · Views: 103
  • Monitor Audio Silver 100 APO EQ LW 96000Hz.txt
    445 bytes · Views: 85
  • Monitor Audio Silver 100 APO EQ Score 96000Hz.txt
    542 bytes · Views: 74
  • Monitor Audio Silver 100 LW data.png
    Monitor Audio Silver 100 LW data.png
    144.3 KB · Views: 248

YSC

Major Contributor
I'd say it's a great pair of passives, basically means without internal calibration or tweaking in the active domain it did able to produce a neutral +/- 1.5db speaker with the crossover being +/-3db, and it do so in a great looking design and "only" $799 a pair, so really a bargain in it's performance class, no idea about the power handling and if they can be driven well with some decent chip amp like the topping one it would be a low cost yet stylish product

fcracer

Forum Donor
Wow, had no idea that is what they were for! The top screw was extremely loose in this sample.
Monitor Audio has pretty specific instruction on over-tightening as well:

Retention Bolt Adjustment

The new Silver Series has a bolt-through driver fixing to reduce cabinet colouration. Each bolt acts as a rigid brace, but also removes the need for conventional driver fixings as well, effectively decoupling the driver and front baffle to eliminate a further source of resonance.

NOTE: Should this bolt become loose over time, or has worked loose during transit, then please use the supplied hex key to tighten the bolt back up. This only needs to be a quarter turn after the strain has been taken by the bolt.

respice finem

Major Contributor
Maybe it should be sold bundled :D
But seriously, I've already had a similar experience - not a screw, but a "stray" wire touching a bass/midrange driver membrane (in a B&W speaker).

Last edited:

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My chops were busted when I tried to develop an EQ for it though. I must have spent an hour creating various filters and abandoning them because they did not in balance improve the sound across multiple music tracks.
That matches to what Toole says and my personal experience with EQing loudspeaker, namely that using EQ trying to smooth the (predicted) listening position response won't still sound as right if the directivity isn't smooth, so for me it does not deserve a fine panther, especially at that price.

Hopefully we can get our hands on the "G7" version to see if they have made any refinements that mitigate the issues I found.
Would recommend getting the 3-way models as due to the smaller mid driver they don't have that large directivity discontinuity:

115MAS8fig5.jpg

https://www.stereophile.com/content/monitor-audio-silver-8-loudspeaker-measurements (5th gen)

318MS300fig6.jpg

https://www.stereophile.com/content/monitor-audio-silver-300-loudspeaker-measurements (6th gen)

1121monitor.lab1.jpg

(unfortunately no directivity measurements but could be even better due to the even smaller mid)

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Doesn't look that different from the predecessor Silver 1.

A good waveguide and a notch filter on the woofer breakup would make this such an amazing speaker.

GWolfman

Forum Donor
Thanks for the review and submission!

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Many thanks @amirm ! At last, some MA reviewed!:)

I owned previous Silver RX2 et Silver 2 models and also know this one (Silver 100) very well. As long as subjectivity is going, these all sounded very good to me. Fits and finish are also second to none in this price class.

These (6G) are actually discontinued, but last pairs in stock go on sale for 570€ shipped in France. Would be curious to see the new 7G measured with complete Spin.
I traced most of it to the upper screw for wall mounting.
The upper screw is actually there to hold the tweeter. The one beneath the port, for the woofer.;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom