• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Distortion/rattle on Adam a77x

YSC

Major Contributor
HS series is mid-range heavy. Never understood why they are so popular in home-studio circles. OK, mid-range focus can make sense for balancing a mix (if you know how it should sound), but imo this is more of a goal you should think of with a second pair of monitors, not the primary
but it's the HS8, according to this: https://www.audioappraisal.com/yamaha-hs-8-8-active-studio-monitor-speakers-reviewed/
it seems like they are pretty flat and can go down to like 50hz flat, with wall loading it shouldn't be too bass shy?

OP
F

fmessier6

but it's the HS8, according to this: https://www.audioappraisal.com/yamaha-hs-8-8-active-studio-monitor-speakers-reviewed/
it seems like they are pretty flat and can go down to like 50hz flat, with wall loading it shouldn't be too bass shy?

No idea, but in terms of bass presence and volume, the a77x blew my HS8 out of the water.
I still know very little about studio monitors, but this should be mainly thanks to a higher power output, correct? Regardless of the fact that Adam's woofer is 7'' and Yamaha's is one inch bigger.

Anti-Climacus

Regardless of the fact that Adam's woofer is 7'' and Yamaha's is one inch bigger.
Actually, the A77X has two 7'' woofers, no? So that is the equivalent of (I don't know, say) a 10''woofer?

Funny thing is both have their F10 (-10 db) point at exactly 38 Hz, according to the official specs, so I wonder why you perceived the Adam as more bass prominent. Perhaps the perception of bass is not only about extension. Maybe the A77X has a peak in mid-bass which makes it more bass-heavy? Just speculating here, I know next to nothing about the matter!

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
No idea, but in terms of bass presence and volume, the a77x blew my HS8 out of the water.
I still know very little about studio monitors, but this should be mainly thanks to a higher power output, correct? Regardless of the fact that Adam's woofer is 7'' and Yamaha's is one inch bigger.
It would be interesting to know what the ROOM CONTROL switch on the Yamahas is set to and how they are positioned.

Frequency response on these in free space (and room control at 0 dB) ought to be pretty flat and extending a good bit below 50 Hz. S&R again:

https://www.soundandrecording.de/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Yamaha-HS8-Welligkeit.jpg

So the amount of bass should not differ too much from other decent monitors in the same position. Level handling may be a different story.

The most likely explanation I can come up with is that you may have been comparing apples and oranges... either room control not flat (unlike the brand new A77X) or you're getting fooled by different gains on the two speaker types... I would suggest matching one A77X and one HS8 in level using pink noise. An old trick is using the same signal on L and R but inverting one channel and putting both speakers face to face, then you can match their input levels very accurately by ear.

JRS

Major Contributor
Custom made for them by Peerless, IIRC.

As for "Domes Other Than ATC": Bliesma M74S-6 and Volt VM752. Bliesma can go a hair lower, both are good.
Thanks. Those Bliesma mids look well--extraordinary (and priced as much). Cant wait to see some reviews.

Last edited:

dfuller

Major Contributor
Thanks. Those Bliesma mids look well--extraordinary (and priced as much). Cant wait to see some reviews.
Mid domes cost a bloody fortune, for some reason. Could be they're harder to make. I dunno.

OP
F

fmessier6

It would be interesting to know what the ROOM CONTROL switch on the Yamahas is set to and how they are positioned.

Room control is set to zero, none of the parameters on the back of the speakers have been touched.

So the amount of bass should not differ too much from other decent monitors in the same position. Level handling may be a different story.

I'm not following here. You mean price range, so €250 each? Or woofer size?

My priority here is purchasing a pair of speakers with a good low end without subwoofer. I can go up to €2500/3000 for the pair but the last thing I need is being disappointed by the presence and delivery of the low end.

Or you're getting fooled by different gains on the two speaker types

One of the first things I did was to connect the right a77x, leave the left HS8 connected and pan music first on the left and then on the right. Volume of the speakers set on factory defaults (knobs on 0). With the Hs8 I was feeling some bass, with the a77x my stomach was shaking.

That probably wasn't the most scientific approach on measuring bass and we're still in the anecdotal territoy, but I think it was worth mentioning. Also, the Adams are gone now, so I'm just trying to find out what is the best option for my price range and needs.
Opening another topic would be better at this point.

YSC

Major Contributor
Room control is set to zero, none of the parameters on the back of the speakers have been touched.

I'm not following here. You mean price range, so €250 each? Or woofer size?

My priority here is purchasing a pair of speakers with a good low end without subwoofer. I can go up to €2500/3000 for the pair but the last thing I need is being disappointed by the presence and delivery of the low end.

One of the first things I did was to connect the right a77x, leave the left HS8 connected and pan music first on the left and then on the right. Volume of the speakers set on factory defaults (knobs on 0). With the Hs8 I was feeling some bass, with the a77x my stomach was shaking.

That probably wasn't the most scientific approach on measuring bass and we're still in the anecdotal territoy, but I think it was worth mentioning. Also, the Adams are gone now, so I'm just trying to find out what is the best option for my price range and needs.
Opening another topic would be better at this point.
I think with new speakers you better off get some room correction gear, say GLM for genelec or buy a UMIK and Minidsp to do it manually for others. given their SPL and FR the bass shouldn't differ that much, I am guessing it's room mode dominant variation here

JRS

Major Contributor
Mid domes cost a bloody fortune, for some reason. Could be they're harder to make. I dunno.
I thought the Volt might be more of a DIY friendly price, but it was almost as expensive as the Bliesma's, at least the mids with the less expensive materials. The Beryllium were a cool 1000 USD apiece. Over at DIY one of the guys who was able to get an early run pair, said something to the effect: "I have never heard vocals sound that way," in a truly astonished way that someone might just have said, say after a UFO ride or a visit with Abe Lincoln. I spent the night running sims to see if I could make a 450Hz XO from my 15" woofers work. Turns out not only doable, but done to great effect. I would have to hear the Al--Mg alloy first. Those are about 1/2 the price. In any event, I really appreciate the heads up. May be a game changer and a super easy build as the woofers are in their pwn cabs--leaving me only needing baffles to support the closed back mid and tweeter. That there is an invitation to think well outside the box. :cool:

Top Bottom