• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

boXem ARTHUR 2408/N2 Review (Stereo Amplifier)

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 9 3.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 141 59.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 87 36.6%

• Total voters

pma

Major Contributor
If anodized orange it's great although in paint it will be cheesy and difficult to control paint flow in the front panel machined text.
You can always, even as a DIYer, order the job at the qualified company. You pay the money, of course, and DIY is not about any savings, then. It is about pleasure and good feeling from the finished job. Much better then if you buy the thing.

JDS

The boxem website lists a special bridging cable, suggesting that these amps can be bridged. But the descriptions and specs of their individual amps do not discuss that. Can it be done? What are the specs in bridge mode?

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Yes it can be

Now days, its easy to find a chinese supplier
Box is from china, tell them what you want, they do it for cheap
Case design is by myself, manufactured in France, by the same company that manufactures Atoll front plates and Trinov cases.
Audio sense board design and firmware programming by myself, SMT in Luxembourg.
Harnesses and amp assembly in Luxembourg.

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
If anodized orange it's great although in paint it will be cheesy and difficult to control paint flow in the front panel machined text.
It is painted. It is extremely difficult if not impossible to get the same color between two anodizing batches.

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
The boxem website lists a special bridging cable, suggesting that these amps can be bridged. But the descriptions and specs of their individual amps do not discuss that. Can it be done? What are the specs in bridge mode?
Yes, all three stereo amps can be bridged. The specs listed are the ones tested, bridged mode is not tested.
For the record, @1%THD+N:
2408/N2: 200W @4Ohm, 250W @8Ohm, min load 4Ohm
3409/N2: 400W @4Ohm, 500W @8Ohm, min load 4Ohm
4215/E2: 900W @4Ohm, 600W @8Ohm, min load 2Ohm

gsp1971

Forum Donor
@Gremlins
Welcome to ASR, Gremlins.
I understand you are excited to participate but it would help if you took the time to familiarize yourself a little more with the website, the forums, and the members.

storing

Forum Donor
408/N2: 200W @4Ohm, 250W @8Ohm, min load 4Ohm

Can you clarify what these numbers are exactly, and the difference with the numbers shown on your website?

JDS

Yes, all three stereo amps can be bridged. The specs listed are the ones tested, bridged mode is not tested.
For the record, @1%THD+N:
2408/N2: 200W @4Ohm, 250W @8Ohm, min load 4Ohm
Thanks!

Dmitri

Forum Donor
In terms of aesthetics and build quality... I find the pricing of the Arthur though maybe a bit on the high side, within acceptable range. I’d just rather not pay extra for something that I would rarely be seeing in my set up, and this particular model the power output wouldn’t fulfill my requirements. Frankly, as I get older everything seems more and more overpriced nowadays...my references being from a previous life... ; )
It’s a gorgeous little amp...And if the aesthetics were important to me...as opposed to the basic build of the Buckeye amps, I’d definitely give them a harder look. Different modules aside, I don’t see Buckeye/boXem audio as apples to apples comparisons. They are both well built, appear to have excellent support and communication, but ultimately serve different market niches.

So boXem, AKA Hans Solo...Nicely done!

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Right

But the measurements are good, ans similar to hypex module

The guy doesn't make magic . So we canot say the measuremenst belongs to him.

Its a hypex module

Implementation, is no magic. A minilum clever guy that wantvtonopen business will study a little before and " industrialise" processes .

At the end , its a hypex amp
We have seen clumsy soldered amps with a lot of flaws.
So that there is a minimum of implementation, well cabled, soldiered, machined and good service with a sense of responsibility.

So all that together makes the brand and from the experience here at ASR, I can attest that boXem is certainly one of them.

It's easy to criticize, it's wiser if it's constructive ;)

AdamG

Debunking the “Infomercial” hawkers & fabricators
Forum Donor
Nit certain why we should compliment this brand as it is using hypex modules.

The guy is just assembling moduled, isnt it?
This is a Technical product review thread. Not a DIY conversation. You are welcome to start a New DIY Thread about this product or any other product reviewed here. Your continued diy focused comments are off topic in this particular thread. Please stay on topic about the review and results of the testing conducted. Please and thank you.

Reply ban issued.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Could only see a real reduction at 8Hz in my tests:
grafik.png.e0fa4538382fc06eb373a975b05f0b02.png
8 Hertz?

peniku8

Forum Donor
There are large sealed subs that can run into the single digits, mostly seen in a dual opposed configuration, but many also run tacticle transducers in their home theaters. Both use cases require good power down to 5Hz for some. There are people out there who run 8 sealed 21" subs or more, you can start chasing after single digits once you reach a few square meters of cone area :)
Edit: just to add, no you won't be hooking up a bunch of 21-inchers to an amp like this, but tactile systems can sometimes run with relatively moderate amounts of power, in which case it's good to know if a smaller amp would suffice if it can handle frequencies that low.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There are large sealed subs that can run into the single digits, mostly seen in a dual opposed configuration…
The length of a 8Hz sound wave is 42 meters. Even at quarter wavelength you need a room with 10m wide/deep. It’s not possible to create 8Hz in a standard residential listening room.

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
The length of a 8Hz sound wave is 42 meters. Even at quarter wavelength you need a room with 10m wide/deep. It’s not possible to create 8Hz in a standard residential listening room.

And the point being?

Amplifiers are measured across their rated bandwidth and in the case of the Hypex modules, they specify down to 0Hz.

Top Bottom