• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF LS50 Meta vs KEF R3

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
Then I take it as a stickman argument. Meanwhile you can check kef.de and see the 20% discount I mentioned. R11 can be had for 4K and b stock items for around or even less than 3,5k. That’s a huge discount of 1k on r11!
XD
Ok, im from South america
Are you happy?
Funny enough, i checked the website of my local dealer and the Metas are in discount but not the R series.

Ask to your local dealer if you can measure is room and correct them because the listening impression of you is very important:p

Crosstalk

Then I take it as a stickman argument. Meanwhile you can check kef.de and see the 20% discount I mentioned. R11 can be had for 4K and b stock items for around or even less than 3,5k. That’s a huge discount of 1k on r11!
XD
Ok, im from South america
Are you happy?
Funny enough, i checked the website of my local dealer and the Metas are in discount but not the R series.

Ask to your local dealer if you can measure is room and correct them because the listening impression of you is very important:p
Yeah a local dealer story without any objective data to prove. You can visit the link I posted and see the offers there for real.

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
Yeah a local dealer story without any objective data to prove. You can visit the link I posted and see the offers there for real.
I feel the stupidity every second in myself but.. i can be that but not a lier.

R series: Not discount.

Metas: Yes.

What i won?
1639756775461.png
1639756818029.png

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
I don’t want it, I will be happy with a meta. Not with anything with R.
You don't deserve anything, because i won the internet discuss.
The Kef Reference is for me :facepalm::p

Traditional rooms do weird thing to normal speakers like the Reference or R.
They aren't the d&d 8c, for example.
This is the room EQ for my R7.
1639759575927.png

buz

Forum Donor
That’s a screenshot it could be photoshopped. Post then link. I will consider you win then
*headscratch*
He deserves that Blade already.

FWIW, I have 4 OG LS50 and 4 R3 (two still in wrapped box), so could't care less. My main system, as soon as I move next year will be the R3 plus R2C (sub I will consider once I hear the room)

Last edited:

alitomr1979

Things like this are the room :)

One reads about psychoacoustics and how overemphasized bass affects our perception of other frequencies and it is still shocking when you actually experience it. Also, the impact of the huge cancelations at all frequencies in untreated rooms with lots of reflective surfaces.

R3s can sound like with broken tweeters when with open port and in a small room. I have experienced it. Fix the problems with the room by treatment and/or closing the ports and you will be shocked. In my case, treating early reflections from the side made probably the biggest difference in my perception of the highs. I am now testing treating the front wall behind the speakers and will receive some foam "bass traps" which I will try just because I ordered them and because I know there are opportunities for improvement, especially in the details in lows (by reducing RT60 in lower bass).

If you don’t want to deal with all that just grab the metas and it is very likely you will love them because they are great.

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
One reads about psychoacoustics and how overemphasized bass affects our perception of other frequencies and it is still shocking when you actually experience it. Also, the impact of the huge cancelations at all frequencies in untreated rooms with lots of reflective surfaces.

R3s can sound like with broken tweeters when with open port and in a small room. I have experienced it. Fix the problems with the room by treatment and/or closing the ports and you will be shocked. In my case, treating early reflections from the side made probably the biggest difference in my perception of the highs. I am now testing treating the front wall behind the speakers and will receive some foam "bass traps" which I will try just because I ordered them and because I know there are opportunities for improvement, especially in the details in lows (by reducing RT60 in lower bass).

If you don’t want to deal with all that just grab the metas and it is very likely you will love them because they are great.
Yes

That happen to me too, when I use the port open with my R7 the highs tend to hide, with the '' o '' the high end became much more prominent, but you also need the room correction, these ''room enhancements'' affect the mids and highs.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I can celebrate with the R side, but I don’t have to change my opinion for them. To me metas are newer, kef worked some magic on them and accidentally made it better than their OLDER higher end series.
Not that it really matters, as preference is individual, but just as a funny fact, in the KEF hierarchy the LS50 is placed in their highest flagship category together with the Blades and Muon and not only over the R but even the Reference series:

1639762930907.png

Source: https://www.shop.us.kef.com/

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:

alitomr1979

What else should categories be? ;-) But in the end from "historic" and collectability point of view LS50 was the anniversary project for the 50 years of KEF while R series just a "normal series" so it has a more "special status".

It is definitely a very special speaker. And if they did a “LS60” with 6.5” woofers they would probably superior to the R series. But there is so much that can be done with their size. I like way more the OG LS50 than the R300, for example. I compared the R300 to both OG LS50 and LS50W and to me the R300 was not up there. Although it was without a doubt something with its voicing/tuning, basically preference, than some actual qualities that one had and the other didn’t. To me the R300 was too dark, and I always found myself missing that sparkle that is the high energy in the highs.

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
It is definitely a very special speaker. And if they did a “LS60” with 6.5” woofers they would probably superior to the R series. But there is so much that can be done with their size. I like way more the OG LS50 than the R300, for example. I compared the R300 to both OG LS50 and LS50W and to me the R300 was not up there. Although it was without a doubt something with its voicing/tuning, basically preference, than some actual qualities that one had and the other didn’t. To me the R300 was too dark, and I always found myself missing that sparkle that is the high energy in the highs.
I find more interesting if they use the ls50m drivers in the new references but cross them at 200hz~250hz~, that going to sound even more point source and easy to integrate

alitomr1979

I don’t see myself spending Reference money, but who knows, because what we know as a fact is that the BUG is real.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The previous R series was really dark, darker than the current one. Personally the OG LS50 have a too elevated presence region for me but with EQ they are still the loudspeakers I listen to the most hours per day as they have become my desktop system since I got also a pair of Metas.

alitomr1979

The previous R series was really dark, darker than the current one. Personally the OG LS50 have a too elevated presence region for me but with EQ they are still the loudspeakers I listen to the most hours per day as they have become my desktop system since I own also the Metas.
The Topping Pre90 preamp in the chain makes for very easy testing of speakers. I can turn off subwoofers with a click, and I can turn off EQ also with a click in Roon.

The night before yesterday I brought my OG LS50 To the main room because I hadn’t tried them with the new electronics and amazing as they are, they are not close to the R3 in any setting. Not even the clarity. Before the Pre90 the LS50 with their prominent vocals were really better for a very specific use case: you want to focus specifically in singers’ voices. After the Pre90 what I’m hearing with the R3 I cannot describe.

Top Bottom