• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Edifier MR4 Review (Budget Monitor)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 21 7.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 87 29.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 144 49.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 39 13.4%

• Total voters

Vict0r

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Can the people that voted "Not terrible" and "Poor" point the rest of us towards a better pair of active micro monitors with balanced inputs for $130?

tomtoo

Major Contributor
I just wanted to say the same thing.

For 130$ i guess it is "OK"

Can we see a tear down?

Yeah, whats in them? A adau and some tpa3116? Slaugther them we want to see the bloody guts. ;)

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Can the people that voted "Not terrible" and "Poor" point the rest of us towards a better pair of active micro monitors with balanced inputs for $130?
Guess one problem is that it isn't defined for these ratings whether they are absolute or price related which makes a big difference.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
It is not so clear to me if people vote with the price in mind or not.
To my understanding the performance evaluation is independent from the cost

This Speaker is fine for the money, sure.
but it is not a excellent speaker.

I say tda2050 or something.

Lets slaughter them. ;)

Vict0r

That's an interesting comment. I always "judge" a product on its value. So something affordable can be 10/10, even when there are pricier products out there that are much better, objectively. Those more expensive products could potentially score less than the cheaper product, because the more expensive one could have worse value compared to its similarly priced competitors. I think it wouldn't be fair otherwise, because you'd never be able to praise a product in a certain budget when there are much better (but much more expensive) products out there. I hope that makes sense. English isn't my forte. :p

tomtoo

Major Contributor

Independent from the cost? For my vote not. There is cost always a influence. You cant compare a 5k euro genelec with some 130 euro speaker and use the same standarts.That would not be fair. The Panther is a subjectivist. Influenced by many subjective parameters. And thats ok for me.

Lambda

Major Contributor
I always "judge" a product on its value. So something affordable can be 10/10, even when there are pricier products out there that are much better, objectively. Those more expensive products could potentially score less than the cheaper product, because the more expensive one could have worse value compared to its similarly priced competitors.
In the HiFi Wolrd and especialy with DACs this is not often true.
Often Cheaper ( like the 7$ apple dac) is objectively better then lots of other products even if they cost 100x.

Clear is we get diminishing returns fast in the audio world.
And value is hard to objectively measure since people from all over the world have vastly different income.

Also an old trick from manufactures is releases the product for lets say 50% of the Price.
So it gets lot of good reviews ( good for the price) and then they in increases the Price.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Vict0r

Clear is we get diminishing returns fast in the audio world.
And value is hard to objectively measure since people from all over the world have vastly different income.

Thanks! That makes a lot of sense.

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
FWIW, Edifier sent me a pair as well. I have been sitting on the data because I am still awaiting a response from them regarding their intended axis and settings. I was disappointed in the results I saw because they mention KLIPPEL as shown below and I was honestly hoping maybe they had intentional designs that might explain the non-linear response I was getting. But..

1639661681109.jpeg

... as per the reply shown below, the speaker itself wasn’t designed using the NFS. But, rather, the drivers were designed using Klippel product.

1639661706063.jpeg

At any rate, my results mimic Amir’s so no surprise there. I guess I was just hoping for better performance when I saw the Klippel name being used. All in all, it’s not bad when compared to others in its price/size class. But, for sure, the Neumi BS5P is a much better option for the exact same price (last I checked), albeit in a good bit larger size.

1639661408009.jpg

Last edited:

Vict0r

But, for sure, the Neumi BS5P is a much better option for the exact same price (last I checked), albeit in a good bit larger size.

Too bad the BS5P aren't for sale in Europe. :(

Koeitje

Major Contributor
I've had other cheaper Edifier loudspeakers and they are so SPL limited that I find it hard to recommend them beyond being used for Youtube. Even at lower volume levels they struggled with dynamics...Just get something with at least a 5" woofer I'd say.

Save your money and buy something that's worth it. Just because its cheap it doesn't mean its good value for money.

Last edited:

Vict0r

Save your money and buy something that's worth it. Just because its cheap it doesn't mean its good value for money.

I thought the measurements showed that it's actually pretty great value for $130? Maybe I'm misinterpreting the entire review.

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
I thought the measurements showed that it's actually pretty great value for $130? Maybe I'm misinterpreting the entire review.

It's a bit all over the place. For little monitors in this size/class, it might be the best I've seen. Definitely better than the PreSonus Eris 3.5 and Mackie CRX3 I tested earlier this year. But those two products are terrible so saying that the MR4 is better isn't necessarily as good as it would otherwise sound.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
In the end it is about being good enough to enjoy listening to. I had 1850's from Edifier and the low-end was just a bunch of distortion. Looking at this speaker we have the same issue here. Size would be the only argument for these, since you can spend $200 for a pair for JBL 305's which are FAR FAR FAR better.

Top Bottom