• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The decline and fall of Reflex.

OP
Ron Texas

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
This thread was started after the reflex (mirror) was pronounced dead.

Next on the chopping block: the shutter.

The new Nikon Z 9 is all-electronic - no mechanical shutter. They went from being the last, to being the first.

I'm surprised no one has brought it up yet.
Z9's are flying off the shelves. It does have one quirk which is common to other Z series cameras which is the viewfinder is of lower resolution than some of the competition. This is a tradeoff to produce lower latency and some other advantages which I can't remember.

When this level of technology is packaged in a standard size body, I'm interested.

As for reflex being dead, the reports of its demise have been greatly exaggerated. Cameras like the D850 will be taking pictures until their 150,000 click shutters wear out. Lenses will be available used. It's not like when film went out and there were no labs left anywhere.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Z9's are flying off the shelves. It does have one quirk which is common to other Z series cameras which is the viewfinder is of lower resolution than some of the competition. This is a tradeoff to produce lower latency and some other advantages which I can't remember.

When this level of technology is packaged in a standard size body, I'm interested.

As for reflex being dead, the reports of its demise have been greatly exaggerated. Cameras like the D850 will be taking pictures until their 150,000 click shutters wear out. Lenses will be available used. It's not like when film went out and there were no labs left anywhere.
Right, but consumers aren't buying enough new models to justify the business anymore.

OP
Ron Texas

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Right, but consumers aren't buying enough new models to justify the business anymore.
DX DSLR is certainly dead. Full frame DSLR's still sell in reduced quantities. I wouldn't say the business isn't justified, but it is winding down.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have been thinking of buying myself a new camera for Christmas and it seems quite difficult to find SLR models here. It all seems to be mirrorless. I quite fancy an Olympus OM-D M5 iii, we'll see.

Newman

Major Contributor
That would be a very nice camera, knowing how much I like my M5 II

Roland68

Major Contributor
I have been thinking of buying myself a new camera for Christmas and it seems quite difficult to find SLR models here. It all seems to be mirrorless. I quite fancy an Olympus OM-D M5 iii, we'll see.
A great camera with many options and customizations. Great, bright and fast viewfinder with which you can focus manually at any distance. In addition, cheap and sharp lenses, very well-functioning tethering software and regular updates with functional expansions.
The imaging performance with a tripod with High Res Shot brings tears to everyone's eyes with a full-frame camera ...

The other manufacturers can actually be happy that Olympus does not offer its cameras in full format.

I have photographed with professional Canon equipment (analog and digital) for over 20 years.
But since my first Olympus E-M5, I no longer need a mirror in the camera (and it fell out of my EOS 5D MK i and II).

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the Olympus feedback! It seems to be a nice camera at a reasonable price, and I liked how it felt in the hand, compact and lightweight but with a nice substantial feel.

OP
Ron Texas

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Thanks for the Olympus feedback! It seems to be a nice camera at a reasonable price, and I liked how it felt in the hand, compact and lightweight but with a nice substantial feel.
Check out the Fuji cameras. The sensor is larger and they have some nice small prime lenses.

Newman

Major Contributor
Check out the Fuji cameras. The sensor is larger and they have some nice small prime lenses.
In that case, check out Sony A7. The sensor is larger again, and they have some nice small prime lenses.

Or, nothing wrong with Olympus.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I looked at Fuji, Nikon, Canon and Sony and clearly they all make some excellent kit. To be frank any of the mirrorless or DSLR cameras these companies make would meet my needs perfectly well (my limitations as a photographer are much more relevant), so it comes down to price and preference. Out of the models in the budget I feel comfortable with the M5 iii just felt right when I had a demo. I know this is subjective, but how a camera handles is important to me, and that's quite a personal thing. The 4/3 sensor is fine for anything I will ever do. I view camera equipment similar to hi-fi in that what matters is whether something meets what I need and like, rather than chasing metrics beyond what makes a difference to me. On lenses, at some point I will buy a 90 - 100mm eqv macro prime but these days zoom lenses are excellent and more than good enough for my needs. There are good deals on the M5 body with a Zuiko 12 - 45mm zoom, it looks like a nice general purpose lens, complement it with a telephoto zoom and most of my shooting is covered.
The one that disappointed me slightly was the Nikon zfc, the one designed to look like the old Nikon FM. I loved those old Nikon models, they were all substance, however the zfc seems to be all style and it didn't have any like the feel of bomb proof indestructibility of the FM.

OP
Ron Texas

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
In that case, check out Sony A7. The sensor is larger again, and they have some nice small prime lenses.

Or, nothing wrong with Olympus.
He's looking at 2x crop factor and you are suggesting full frame. How much sense does that make?

Newman

Major Contributor
I actually endorsed his 2x crop factor camera — twice! You are the one who suggest he look at bigger sensors. I was actually responding to your bigger sensor suggestion.

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I love my Fuji mirrorless APS-C cameras, X-T2 and X-T10: best cameras I've owned in 65+ years.

Yeah, I'm strictly a amateur, personal satisfaction only, photographer, so the APs-C format is quite adequate for me. Fiji lens are excellent though a bit expensive and the selection is relatively limited compared to Canon or Nikon.

What I really like about my Fuji cameras is their use of (some) only fashioned switches and dials versus virtually all setting via view screen.

[Edit] I, of course, learned photography when aperture, shutter speed, and focus all had to be selected manually by dials, so I suppose that was a factor in my choice of the Fuji models and enjoyment of them. :)

Last edited:

Roland68

Major Contributor
On lenses, at some point I will buy a 90 - 100mm eqv macro prime but these days zoom lenses are excellent and more than good enough for my needs. There are good deals on the M5 body with a Zuiko 12 - 45mm zoom, it looks like a nice general purpose lens, complement it with a telephoto zoom and most of my shooting is covered.
Especially in the macro area, the E-M5 MK III with its special functions is unrivaled (with the Olympus macro lenses).

Roland68

Major Contributor
[Edit] I, of course, learned photography when aperture, shutter speed, and focus all had to be selected manually by dials, so I suppose that was a factor in my choice of the Fuji models and enjoyment of them. :)
You forget the analogue selection of the ISO value via the film material ...;)

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Although I also own Sony FF, I like Olympus because there are some very interesting lens choices available for M43 systems which would simply be too large and heavy for me in the FF world, while some of the smaller M43 lenses seem scarcely larger than a body cap; in fact, some of them are body caps!

Newman

Major Contributor
I like Olympus because there are some very interesting lens choices available for M43 systems which would simply be too large and heavy for me in the FF world
1639590311224.jpeg

I used the Oly 75mm for this candid portrait. A full frame 150mm that is just as sharp across the frame would be huge.

cheers

Roland68

Major Contributor
I used the Oly 75mm for this candid portrait. A full frame 150mm that is just as sharp across the frame would be huge.

cheers
Is also my favorite lens and is very sharp. The only silver one in my collection because there weren't any black ones in the beginning.
The Sigma ART 135mm 1.8 is similarly sharp in full frame.

Newman

Major Contributor
while some of the smaller M43 lenses seem scarcely larger than a body cap
Untitled.jpg

And I used the Oly 45mm ƒ/1.8 for this candid portrait. Weighs 110g and looks like a toy with its tiny size and 37mm filter thread, but delivers like a champ.

Top Bottom