• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping PA5 Review (Amplifier)

mike70

Addicted to Fun and Learning
yeah, but none of them are close to 2k. The most expensive one here is atleast2 times powerful than the cheapest CLass ab from a branded amp.
You need to check the more "fancy" models ... from other brands, not audiophonics, i don´t like to post that because many are users here.
And ... i remember to check in the hypex PDFs that the "real" power in 8 ohms 1% THD was about 1/5 of the posted in the specifications.
Powerful?

Crosstalk

You need to check the more "fancy" models ... from other brands, not audiophonics, i don´t like to post that because many are users here.
And ... i remember to check in the hypex PDFs that the "real" power in 8 ohms 1% THD was about 1/5 of the posted in the specifications.
Powerful?
Can you link one 2k hypex based stereo amp here with similar specs? That would be an apples to apples comparison to an Accuphase. Also, I wonder when did this topic deviate to a hypex. Hypex is just one brand of class D.

F1308

Major Contributor
ok, but some people like other aspects of a consumer device. Open mind.
Are they wrong? Maybe
Are you wrong? Maybe

We now are using eletric cars and burning more fuel oil than never before ... to recharge batteries. Is not as simply.
Mine was a sincere question, just curious about any differences there, if any, to complete the listinng.
As for the rest, if I can have top notch performance, no excessive heating, a smaller size device, low weight, sufficient power and cables included, deal done.

No cables...? Well, never mind.

KSTR

Major Contributor

SylphAudio

Audio Company
Forum Donor
I recently sold a Goldenote amp for 1k to some guy. Honestly I wanted money and that amp had pathetic sound but some good reviews. The guy who picked it up called me and told it was amazing. I myself compared it to a new entry level denon and it was wrong at many places. Of course double mono transformers with some mirror finished heatsink sells. It was behind the denon on stereo desperation, also damping the woofers was bad and treble was way too rolled off. The guy who picked up said it sounded very close his tube amp. Anyway I got my money
That's the sound that his ears were used to for a long time, for him it might be perfect for the music genre that he listens with. :)

Crosstalk

That's the sound that his ears were used to for a long time, for him it might be perfect for the music genre that he listens with. :)
I guess so, yeah the vocals on that amp was more bumped up and the since timing wasnt perfect it gave the feel of some smoothness (analagous) as some may say, but on the cost of bass control. it sounds good when you listen to one instrument at a time. but soon some more instruments come into picture, or some drum roll is played, it doesnt have those sharp stops each drum hit makes. Instead it was a smooth mess - very tube like!

Crosstalk

Well, there's something that class D needs to prove: durability / reliability. An Accuphase will work an entire life with properly care, but if you look at the major class D components ... capacitors, case space, thermal protection, ...
and many noisy switching power supply (not the sound, I mean, acoustic noise) ... you can say this will last a good time?

So, I understand you can have a great subjective / objective sound from class D, I think that's real (not in the very cheap side) ... but, I also want an amplifier that I can power on without fear. Without having to worry on fixing / replacing a module with only some months or maybe a couple of years.

I think that's not delusional at all.
Its not CLASS D needs to improve, but the manufacturers who make it needs to improve. Same applies to any type of amps. If you buy a very cheap class A/B amp you would have the same problem.

Also, if you pick up an Accuphase used, you have no guarantee that it wont blow your speakers down. Like i mentioned earlier, a friend of mine imported a used Accuphase from Japan for cheap. The thing was cosmetically ok but had hell lot of DC in one of channels which blew his tweeter away. Yeah, if you buy it new there is some guarantee that they have better quality control. but we are talking about 10 x price more for something sounding similar.

BoredErica

Please take into account that it depends on load complex impedance and amplifier circuit topology. Please let me answer you by measurements of amplitude frequency response and phase frequency response of a conventional class AB amplifier vs. TPA3255 AIYIMA A07 - and think about it. If more discussion is needed, a separate thread would be an option, I can paste my measurements there. Is this audible in a DBT test? Yes, not easily, but with better than 5% uncertainty. Is this because of phase response? Just related to, as a derived parameter. Can we read this from 4/8 ohm resistive response? With difficulties.
If we can then, I notice in Aiyimia, the FR drop 20hz-20khz was 0.7db, for PA5 0.2db, a difference of x3.5.

KSTR

Major Contributor
@BoredErica ,
Well, that x3.5 difference doesn't translate to "3.5 times more audible". In a controlled test that 0.5dB difference will hardly be noticed, maybe only by the younger ones who still can hear 18kHz++, and with white or pink noise as a test signal.

BoredErica

@BoredErica ,
Well, that x3.5 difference doesn't translate to "3.5 times more audible". In a controlled test that 0.5dB difference will hardly be noticed, maybe only by the younger ones who still can hear 18kHz++, and with white or pink noise as a test signal.
I understand, but PMA was originally posting a difference of up to 3db with Aiyima with complex loads (2db above 15khz). If I take 2-3db and I halve it to 1-1.5db, that takes something from potentially audible to basically inaudible.

edit:
Your point is good too though. 15khz+ it's harder to hear.

Last edited:

BadAudioAdvice

I hooked my Kill A Watt up and the resting draw of the PA50 and DAC is 5 - 6 Watts

I had been meaning to get a power meter for a while, your post was the nudge I needed.

Lucky for me there was a Harbour Freight Tools close by, and I got the P3 4400 meter ($27USD).

Running just the PA5 (not the DAC) into the meter - idle draw ~6 Watts.

With the volume dial at the 12 o'clock position, playing The Crystal Method, I would say it was subjectively "loud enough" - I didn't see it peak higher than 13 Watts. (limitation of the meter is that it only updates maybe twice per second - so I might be missing high short duration peaks). Most of the time it was around 10 Watts +/- 2 Watts.

BadAudioAdvice

so they reached NJ. :) good. then mine not faroff.
FYI, I picked the free shipping option - which was shipped via 4PX.

4PX has a less-than-great tracking system / website.

Instead, if you plug your tracking number into https://parcelsapp.com/en/tracking it shows all the different companies involved in shipping your package with much more detailed updates.

jools

Forum Donor
I understand, but PMA was originally posting a difference of up to 3db with Aiyima with complex loads (2db above 15khz). If I take 2-3db and I halve it to 1-1.5db, that takes something from potentially audible to basically inaudible.

edit:
Your point is good too though. 15khz+ it's harder to hear.
Others can explain it much better than I could but the Aiyimas vary depending on what speakers you use - which makes testing tricky. When I went from an A04 to an NCore I compared with two sets of speakers that I had around. With one set, the Aiyima and NCore sounded very similar, with the other, the Aiyima was a lot brighter - and for both of these observations, please take into account that I'm nearly 60 so my high end hearing is shot.

BoredErica

Others can explain it much better than I could but the Aiyimas vary depending on what speakers you use - which makes testing tricky. When I went from an A04 to an NCore I compared with two sets of speakers that I had around. With one set, the Aiyima and NCore sounded very similar, with the other, the Aiyima was a lot brighter - and for both of these observations, please take into account that I'm nearly 60 so my high end hearing is shot.
I looked at the impedance curve PMA used for the measurement and it was somewhat close to LS50 Meta's measurements.

Makes me wonder. There are many class D amps out, so have people run this kind of test on multiple other amps yet?

DanielT

Major Contributor
DIY nowadays, mostly because it's a fun hobby. However, in the past:

Anmpr1:
Really, in the early days of hi-fi, unless you had a lot of money, building it yourself was the way to go. That's why David Hafler (and others like HH Scott) were important. They gave you 9 / 10ths of whatever McIntosh and Marantz were offering, for half the dollars.

Kal Rubinson:
Yes, in fact, in the very early days, you had no choice regardless of your budget. If you could not DIY, you commissioned someone to do it for you. Empty speaker and equipment cabinets were available along with custom cabinetry

Last edited:

Sudin

I really cannot understand why people are bellyaching about the $350 price when performance is equivalent to $1000-$2000 Purifi-based amps and approaches the $3500 Benchmark AHB2.

I guess because of the small size people are calling it a “toy amp” and cannot wrap their heads around its SOTA performance. What is this place, Stereophile?
I think Stereophile also reviews cheap amplifier too (AkitikA GT-102 : $314 kit, $488 fully assembled)
AkitikA GT-102 power amplifier
Recommended Components 2021 Edition Two-Channel Power Amplifiers

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom