• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Okto 8 Owner’s Thread

poopy

I'm also on firmware 1.0 and got popping on aes input.
I would like to upgrade firmware, but it seems not possible because of hardware design defect on the firmware upgrade process.
Sad.
Pavel was working on trialing firmware upgrades, but I lost track of what became of that.
Let us know if you have any updates on this question of firmware in the coming weeks/months.
I have FW version 1.42 (SN 94) - Not sure if there is a more recent version given Machismo post:
...arrived today :)

Serial number 168, the firmware version is 1.42
In terms of functionalities, 1 spdif +1 optical input would have been useful (for some people).

Feyire

I'm SN 20-something, FW 1.2
I get a short brief sharp pop on start up (w/hypex amps), and occasionally others during playback.
B/C of the 'lost it's mind' occurences I've had with my setup requiring A4All and JRiver re-installs (and failing memories) I've never quite (yet) chased down all the cases that cause it.
IRCC, setting the ASIO4ALL to 24 bit reduced but didn't elminate it completely?
So I'm still chasing that one down - I dont have a lot of super hi-rez titles, so not a huge concern for me.
For now I've just set JRiver for 24-192 for anything higher res than that?
Pavel was working on trialing firmware upgrades, but I lost track of what became of that.
But I definietley agree - aside from these really minor glitches, it's a VERY impressive bit of equipment - No Regrets, and many thanks to Pavel.
WIll be curious to see if/how you manage to tame the Pops, though.
Thanks!
I'm SN 0-something with FW 1.0 and I also get a brief 'pop' on start up with my Hypex amps. This can be avoided by switching amps on while DAC is off. The only time I get any kind of 'pop' sound while the DAC is on, is when I switch from say optical input to the streamer/raspberry pie connected via USB.

I'm also on firmware 1.0 and got popping on aes input.
I would like to upgrade firmware, but it seems not possible because of hardware design defect on the firmware upgrade process.
Sad.
@Vincentponcet is it really a hardware design defect confirmed by Pavel? When I last spoke with him back in July 2021, he said the following:

The situation with firmware update is unfortunately complicated. We have found a bug in some firmware versions that prevents the update from being able to install to the device. We are now investigating alternative ways of firmware update for the units in question.

Which to me sounded like it was a more of software issue. Anyway, if it really is a hardware issue, then he should allow us to send back our affected units in order to get it fixed. I'm planning to e-mail him about the firmware issue again in the new year.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I'm SN 0-something with FW 1.0 and I also get a brief 'pop' on start up with my Hypex amps.
I am S/N 32 with FW1.3 and I get pop on start with my AHB2s.

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am S/N 32 with FW1.3 and I get pop on start with my AHB2s.
I use the Dac 8 pro to trigger by AHB2s (which have a delayed start) so no pops.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Not using the trigger?
Not using the trigger and not relevant. I get the pop (more like a tick), not consistently, when I start playback via the DAC8. It is not the only source for the amps so it makes no sense to have it trigger the amps.

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not using the trigger and not relevant. I get the pop (more like a tick), not consistently, when I start playback via the DAC8. It is not the only source for the amps so it makes no sense to have it trigger the amps.
The benchmark amps have 2 triggers, I use one with my DAC 8 and one with an AVR. If either one is on then the amps turn on. I use the AVR trigger signal to switch the input of the amps between the sources to the amp.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
The benchmark amps have 2 triggers, I use one with my DAC 8 and one with an AVR. If either one is on then the amps turn on. I use the AVR trigger signal to switch the input of the amps between the sources to the amp.
How do you "switch inputs" when there's only one stereo pair of inputs or, in monobloc, one input in bridged mode? (Are you using a Y-cable?)

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How do you "switch inputs" when there's only one stereo pair of inputs or, in monobloc, one input in bridged mode? (Are you using a Y-cable?)
I use an ARX RS-1 to automatically switch with the AVR trigger:

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I always do the simple rationale straightforward (at least for me with much pleasure;)) "Start-up (Ignition) Sequences" and "Shutdown Sequences" of my audio system including DAC8PRO, both with the volume (gain) of DAC8PRO set in less than -75 dB, as shared here.

I have showed and instructed the sequences several times to my wife, but she never never would like to do the sequences by herself...

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I use an ARX RS-1 to automatically switch with the AVR trigger:
Ah. I've seen that but I'd need 4 of them so I am using a Coleman 7.1SW Switch.

Neddy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm using a SurgeX SEQ for power control, using the OktoDAC for the trigger, so I can try the suggestion of powering up the amps first by changing the sequencing. Will report back if it makes a difference or not.
Thanks!

Keened

Forum Donor
I went back a few pages and didn't see any thing on an expected resumption of orders.The closer we get to 2022 without significant TX-RZ50 shipments and any additional info on the RZ-70 the more I suspect Q2/Q3 for majority fulfillment. So If I'm going to wait a few months anyways might as well build a better system.

I suspect they are spending time making sure the firmware issue is fixed which is good, but will there be an email notification list or something soon?

Keened

Forum Donor
5y0s2f.jpg

AudioJester

Forum Donor
Hi all, is there a specific asio driver for the okto dac8 pro for windows 10? Iam using asio4all and having timing issues between channels when using audiolense for a multichannel setup.

poopy

Hi all, is there a specific asio driver for the okto dac8 pro for windows 10? Iam using asio4all and having timing issues between channels when using audiolense for a multichannel setup.

Have you tried the Thesycon ASIO driver? When you ordered from Okto, they provided a link to download the drivers. If the link has expired, send an email to Okto they will provide you another link (otherwise I don't think the drivers are free).

Have you tried in your software different settings for buffer and things like that?

AudioJester

Forum Donor
Have you tried the Thesycon ASIO driver? When you ordered from Okto, they provided a link to download the drivers. If the link has expired, send an email to Okto they will provide you another link (otherwise I don't think the drivers are free).

Have you tried in your software different settings for buffer and things like that?

Thanks, I could not order a new dac so found a local seller - Iam not the original owner, and never got the drivers. Have emailed Okto a couple of weeks ago but no response.
I will try the Thesycon driver.

Have tried buffers and other settings etc with no luck. When I centre the microphone for the left and right mid range drivers using Acourate mic alignment I still get a delay in Audiolense.

poopy

Thanks, I could not order a new dac so found a local seller - Iam not the original owner, and never got the drivers. Have emailed Okto a couple of weeks ago but no response.
I will try the Thesycon driver.

Have tried buffers and other settings etc with no luck. When I centre the microphone for the left and right mid range drivers using Acourate mic alignment I still get a delay in Audiolense.

I emailed Okto during Summer time to get the drivers one more time. They responded me within a day with a new link to download.

If you need, please PM me with your email I can send you a link for you to download.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello @AudioJester,

The download link to the installer (.exe) of Thesycon ASIO DIYIHNK driver may have time limit to get it.

I use the Thesycon ASIO driver DIYINHK_UsbAudio_v4.59.0_2019-02-28 which OKTO sent me the download link when they shipped my DAC8PRO in May 2020.

Incase if you would still have difficulties, please just PM me.

As for the use of ASIO4ALL with DIYINHK ASIO driver together with JRiver MC and/or Room (and the buffer/latency issues), my posts here and here may be of your reference.

Last edited:
Top Bottom