• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What headphone(s) do you own ?

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Do you find your end game?

End game would be something expensive, top tier for me.

I like my focal Elegia headphones.. so I would consider the Stellia or utopia "end game".

Or I really like my aeon 2 noire from Dan Clark , so endgame would be the DC stealth for me.

Dan Clark Aeon II Noire
Sennheiser HD650
Beyerdymanic DT770Pro 80 Ohm
AKG K3003i IEM
Sennheiser IE 100 Pro Clear IEM

Gotta love my DCAs!!

MrBrainwash

I like my focal Elegia headphones.. so I would consider the Stellia or utopia "end game".

Or I really like my aeon 2 noire from Dan Clark , so endgame would be the DC stealth for me.
I see your point. :)

Until I get rich I eliminete top of the line headphones from consideration. I think they might be great but not something that is worth that kind of money. I did a lot of research but I didn't hear many expensive headphones. I don't miss what I don't know. ;)

Carlo2AC

It gets so hard to find an upgrade after a certain price point, the Stellia and Elegia aren't two worlds a part compared to the difference in price ahahaha

Not even mentioning the Stealth (why did you do this to me @Dan Clark ? ahahaha)

YARE

I mainly use the Focal Elegia and the DT1990 as backup. My DT1770's just died about a year ago (didn't really liked them, but it's still sad).

As far as IEMs goes I use my Moondrop Starlight, AirPods Pro & Galaxy Buds+. I can't really use anything that's tuned in the Harman way since I've started using Sonarworks Reference (i'm using it for a year), the Harman curve is just to aggressive on my IEMs so after an hour my headache is usually starting (mostly of the bleeding highs).

Snoopy

Major Contributor
It gets so hard to find an upgrade after a certain price point, the Stellia and Elegia aren't two worlds a part compared to the difference in price ahahaha

Not even mentioning the Stealth (why did you do this to me @Dan Clark ? ahahaha)

Maybe that's why so many people do side-grades. A bunch of similar priced, similar sounding headphones. But still different enough to justify the purchase.

(I would probably try different pads and equilizer settings before I get yet another headphone between 500-1000€.)

But a few years ago I would have probably kicked myself in the nuts for even looking at 500€ headphones..

RHO

Major Contributor
But a few years ago I would have probably kicked myself in the nuts for even looking at 500€ headphones..
Same here.
Now that I own them: soooo worth it!
I just took my time looking at measurements and looking for user experiences regarding reliability and ergonomics.
But at the same time I get the impression that once you hot the ~€500 mark there is little reason to upgrade ... or you would want to spend a few €k to get a real TOTL set. But I still don't think the difference from a real good midrange to an TOTL warrants the huge price increase.

MCH

Major Contributor
hi all,
i want to buy my 12 yo nephew bluetooth headphones for xmas and need a recommendation (the few i own or know are wired...).
budget up to 100 eur ( my sister says he doesnt deserve more, he didnt do very good at school)
avilable in EU
on/over/in ear... no clue, if i ask him will ruin the surprise...
will be his first not freebie headphones
thanks for your suggestions

adama99

hi all,
i want to buy my 12 yo nephew bluetooth headphones for xmas and need a recommendation (the few i own or know are wired...).
budget up to 100 eur ( my sister says he doesnt deserve more, he didnt do very good at school)
avilable in EU

Received these as a Christmas present last year.

They fit comfortably despite my somewhat large ears and sound quite good for the price. The default sound profile is bass-heavy, but a companion app offers range of sound profiles and the option of creating your own. ANC works well and has a transparency mode for when you need to hear noise/conversation around you.

I wouldn't recommend them for running or other serious exercise, but they'd be fine for relaxing indoors or a casual walk.

Last edited:

jeffmackwood

Pioneer SE-505 (pure nostalgia; had a pair of these in the '70s; lent them to a friend twenty years ago and he lost them; bought another pair a few years ago)

Denon AH-D210 (three pairs) and AH-D310 (all great for traveling; outstanding bass response for their very cheap price)

AKG K240 (no additional letters in model name)

psb M4U 2 (an impulse buy on Boxing Day a few years ago - the least comfortable headphone I own)

Denon AH-D5000 (for critical listening; I've yet to try anything that sounds better to me; able to reproduce ultra-low bass with aplomb)

Jeff

PeteDzi

Beyerdynamic DT-150
Beyerdynamic DT-770 32 Ohm
Sony WH-1000X - original version
Stax Basic System SRS-2050 II - comprising SRM-252II energizer and SR-202 phones - my 2nd favorite cans
Hifiman Sundara
Audeze LCD-X
Hifiman HE-6se v2 (Adorama version) - easily my favorite, and everyday headphones

I love using headphones. I prefer them to loudspeakers.
Maybe it's nostalgia. I started listening to music on a Sanyo walkman my dad got in 1985, when i was a boy in communist Poland,
my walkman was the only quality source of music available to me.

In the last few years I wanted to come back to headphones, especially since my living arrangements don't really allow me to enjoy music
on a full blown hi fi system.

I bough DT-770 and DT-150, and whilst at the time I thought they were OK, I was not amazed by either of them.
Many years ago I read about Stax electrostatic headphones, and was really intreagued by the idea. About a year ago,
I was telling a work coleague about the idea of electrostatic speakers and headphones, and was overheard by another chap at work.
He said he owned a Stax system, and offered to lend it to me. He added that if I liked them, I could have them for a 100 quid (£100 or about $140)
I borrowed that set, and was amazed by it! Needles to say I bought it straight away. What a bargain!

Whilst I love that Stax system, it was a bit of a hassle to use whilst working, with it having it's own special energiser an' all. Also, I find its tonality a bit suspect, the sound, while wonderully clear, does not sound all that realistic. Also the bass, which hasa good punch, lacks lower registers.

I bought the Hifiman Sundara to see what planar phones are like. Much better than the above mentioned Beyerdynamic cans, and overall more realistic tonality than Stax, but ultimately lacking clarity and spaciousness of the Stax system.

I still wanted a more detailed open sound (from the Sundaras), and I upgraded to Audeze LCD-X, and shortly after I spoted an open box deal on HE-6SE v2 directly from Hifiman.

The HE-6sev2 are amazing. Definitely my favorite can. They tick all the boxes! The dynamics, the bass, the clarity! Frequently I get goosepimples, and every day they bring a smile to my face.
For now these are my endgame.

I drive all my phones from RME ADI-2 DAC, and I do use moderate eq for all my phones (obviously different settings for each can)

I would be interested if other members had any suggestions regarding an upgrade for the HE-6SE v2. Realistically, is there really anything better?

Bernd

Forum Donor
So far really liking the LCD-X, strangely remind me of HD-650 and Ananda combined, crazy thing is they might be more detailed than the Ananda!

View attachment 168898
Hi, this is really an interesting observation. I also own the HD6XX and the Arya, and I even for the the latter your statement holds true. I absolutely love the LCD-X. However, it throws so much detail at yours ears that I cannot do anything else but listen intensively. The Arya is, well, shall we say 'more relaxed' in its music restitution and allows for taking your attention off your ears. Both are great headphones and complement each other. However if I could keep only one pair of headphones it would be the LCD-X.
And last but not least: my fourth pair of cans is the Sundara which team up nicely with the HD6XX

Rayman30

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hi, this is really an interesting observation. I also own the HD6XX and the Arya, and I even for the the latter your statement holds true. I absolutely love the LCD-X. However, it throws so much detail at yours ears that I cannot do anything else but listen intensively. The Arya is, well, shall we say 'more relaxed' in its music restitution and allows for taking your attention off your ears. Both are great headphones and complement each other. However if I could keep only one pair of headphones it would be the LCD-X.
And last but not least: my fourth pair of cans is the Sundara which team up nicely with the HD6XX

I returned the LCD-X, I found them to be to heavy, not only was this an issue with comfort but they almost felt precious, as if I could drop and break them. I did not see myself throwing them on after a day at work and relaxing, so they were never going to be a primary set, and for the price I thought that was not acceptable.

They presented detail in an intense way, If headphones were a drug, I would consider the LCD-X cocaine and the Ananda/Arya as weed. You can do weed every day, but not cocaine. I could not believe the detail retrieval and bass quality, it was a step up from the Ananda in both regards, but it just was not as enjoyable as the Hifiman.

So its back to the drawing board, I am looking for a tertiary set to compliment my HD-650 and Ananda, but they need to provide something those other cans do not, any suggestions would be appreciated, I was considering the Noire.

Limopard

Sennheiser HD 560s, HD 660s, HD 650 (assembled from spare parts, the headband lost so much paint, I removed the rest, grilles are HD 600), HD 569, Beyer DT1990 pro (for sale), Sony WH1000xm3, UE 900s.

Fiio K5pro, Tempotec Sonata HD pro, Creative E5
Update: The DT 1990 and the HD 660s are gone. A HD 600 became my main headphone, the HD 560s with the microphone cable from the HD 569 is the home office tool for music, phone & MS Teams.
The mobile rig was expanded by a Sony WF 1000 XM3, a steal for the 100 EUR I paid. The amp collection was expanded by a Topping NX 4.

Bernd

Forum Donor
@Rayman30 "If headphones were a drug, I would consider the LCD-X cocaine and the Ananda/Arya as weed. You can do weed every day, but not cocaine." My dear friend, that is a brilliant analogy/image - just perfect. However, I have a problem - I am addicted !

ManuMaker

this is a eq setting i made for equlizer apo for sennheiser hd 280 pro mkII based on measurements and it sounds very good omg it completelly changed the microphone it made it wider and sounding open back a little which is stange and this clarity i believe i can only achieve that due to the very low thd of the hd 280 mkii i am dropping a list of my recommendation after based on low thd and non skewed frequency response for eq.

sennheiser hd 280 pro mkii equlizer apo settings:

Preamp: -4.9 dB
Filter: ON PK Fc 20 Hz Gain 5.5 dB Q 1.2
Filter: ON PK Fc 50 Hz Gain -2 dB Q 0.5
Filter: ON PK Fc 130 Hz Gain 9 dB Q 2.5
Filter: ON PK Fc 1050 Hz Gain -2.3 dB Q 1.5
Filter: ON PK Fc 3300 Hz Gain 5.4 dB Q 2.7
Filter: ON PK Fc 3500 Hz Gain 2 dB Q 1
Filter: ON PK Fc 5100 Hz Gain 6 dB Q 3
Filter: ON PK Fc 7300 Hz Gain -3.5 dB Q 2.1
Filter: ON PK Fc 8500 Hz Gain 1.5 dB Q 2.3
Filter: ON PK Fc 15000 Hz Gain 4 dB Q 0.7
Man, thanks a lot, a was already for leaving this headphones!! (sorry bad englsish)

Andykay

Just curious ...
What headphone(s) do you currently own ?
Which one(s) is(are) used the most, or is your favorite ?
1More Quad Driver IEM, Sony WH-1000XM3, Samsung Beans, Altec Sport IEM, Sennheiser Drop HD6XX, Plantronics Go410 BT.

Fav Wired 6XX
Fav BT Sony WH-1000XM3

Attachments

• 20210504_134356.jpg
    20210504_134356.jpg
    330.2 KB · Views: 87

Bow_Wazoo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Focal Clear MG

20220102_152240 (1).jpg

Very similar performance compared to the Utopia.
I am absolutely thrilled with the MG.
Of course, both need Harman target.

martymcfly3004

Thought this would be a good thread for my first post. Here is a list of my current headphones:

Beyerdynamic T5P.2
Dan Clark Aeon 2 Open
Audeze LCD-2 Closed Back
Focal Elegia
Focal Clear Mg
Sennheiser 599SE
Moondrop Starfield
Final B2
AirPod Pro
AirPod Pro Max

I really like all of them! My favourites are probably the Clear Mg, mainly due to the detail and I love the Focal bass. Favourite close backs would probably be the Elegia for the same reason but I really like the LCD-2 Closed back when they are EQ'd - they are my only headphone that I use EQ on.

I really like the T5P's but find them a little bright, they are really nice on 'warm' less transparent amps as they take the edge off without having to apply EQ. The Mjolnir 2 <> T5P.2 pairing is one of my favourites.

The AirPods Pro's where the biggest surprise, I love them and I'm not a big fan of items normally. Biggest let down was probably the AirPod Pro Max as I was expected something similar to the AirPod Pros (but better) but they really aren't.

Purified_Water

Over ears: Focal Elear w/ Elex pads, Sennheiser HD6XX, Audio-Technica ATH-M40X w/ Brainwavz angled pads, Audeze LCD-2 Classic, Grado x Pokemon SR80x, Shure Aonic 50

In ears: Kinera Norn

Top Bottom