• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What music servers do members use

Jerry Sobel

Forum Donor
My music server just crashed because of a power failure. It runs Windows Home Server 2011 and some of the files got corrupted either when power went off or back on. I am not able to find a copy of the program as it was last supported about 5 years ago. So I need to get something that runs Roon. I am currently using my QNAP NAS drive and it works fine but am I losing something in the audio quality vs all of the other products on market. I have no doubt that the law of diminishing returns applies to music servers so that the more you spend the less incremental improvement you will hear. Bottom line, is running my music from a computer or NAS drive any worse than let's say a Roon nucleus or the very overpriced music serves on the market

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I use LMS running on my laptop in the study, with the audio files on an external USB HD backed up to a second drive locally and a third drive kept off-site.

Player is a Squeezebox Touch. I also use Squeezeplay on various other PCs and tablets round the house if I want music elsewhere. It's always been very reliable, even though it's all on wifi, and never had an issue with it at all.

S.

Krunok

Major Contributor
Media server on Synology NAS. It doesn't perform any transcoding so no loss in quality.

sideways2

Serviio along with the app on our phones to Bluetooth to the main living room speakers...samba share for my laptop...

Not sure on Roon requirements...sorry :)

bakker_be

Running LMS, just like @sergeauckland Server is a repurposed Lenovo T540p laptop with 16GB RAM running Ubuntu Server 18.04. Storage is direct attached, ±30 TB :) of which around 4 TB is music, mainly 16/44 FLAC. Music + photos are backed up to Crashplan.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Roon is my daily driver, however I also use Serviio for non roon clients.

I have run this on a NAS but recently I have acquired a 24 core Xeon (for things like video rendering) which now does the job. Music is backed up to One drive accounts.

Last edited:

bakker_be

What does LMS stand for?
Logitech Media Server. It's the platform that was originally designed by Slimdevices for the Squeezebox. They got taken over by Logitech who finally discontinued production. The server platform is open source though and is still under active development, by Logitech employees amongst others. The most active forum (https://forums.slimdevices.com) still runs on Logitech infrastructure as well.

OP
Jerry Sobel

Jerry Sobel

Forum Donor
Does anyone know how I can get a copy of Windows home server 2011?

bakker_be

Does anyone know how I can get a copy of Windows home server 2011?
I would advise against it. The core OS for it is no longer supported by Microsoft I believe, so it's no longer secure. I'd advise moving to a Linux-flavor for your server needs. Roon Bridge can be installed rather easily.

Apesbrain

Addicted to Fun and Learning
LMS is an alternative to Roon so I'm not sure it meets your needs. What model QNAP do you have, and what hardware were you running WHS on?

derp1n

OpenBSD 2.8

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
My music server just crashed because of a power failure. It runs Windows Home Server 2011 and some of the files got corrupted either when power went off or back on. I am not able to find a copy of the program as it was last supported about 5 years ago. So I need to get something that runs Roon. I am currently using my QNAP NAS drive and it works fine but am I losing something in the audio quality vs all of the other products on market. I have no doubt that the law of diminishing returns applies to music servers so that the more you spend the less incremental improvement you will hear. Bottom line, is running my music from a computer or NAS drive any worse than let's say a Roon nucleus or the very overpriced music serves on the market
A NAS can run Roon just fine, however it does depend upon how powerful the nas is as to how "snappy" Roon runs. The database particularly benefits from being on a SSD. But no, you are not losing anything in audio quality by doing so.
Roon Nucleus is just Roon cashing in on a market. Nothing wrong in doing so, but making out it sounds better is just nonsense. Its just a computer. Your DAC should not be sensitive to the differences, if it is then changing the DAC is the answer, not changing the server.

Last edited:

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What is the budget? What are the storage needs?

OP
Jerry Sobel

Jerry Sobel

Forum Donor
I would advise against it. The core OS for it is no longer supported by Microsoft I believe, so it's no longer secure. I'd advise moving to a Linux-flavor for your server needs. Roon Bridge can be installed rather easily.
Will Roon Bridge run my server?

OP
Jerry Sobel

Jerry Sobel

Forum Donor
LMS is an alternative to Roon so I'm not sure it meets your needs. What model QNAP do you have, and what hardware were you running WHS on?
I was running WHS 2011 on a,device called AssetNAS. I had a recent power outage and the OS got corrupted and I can longer access the desktop so it is useless. I had copy of my music on my QNAP so I added Roon core to that and started using it the other night. It would be nice to recover my server though and use it. I emailed the company but I am not getting any response.

OP
Jerry Sobel

Jerry Sobel

Forum Donor
A NAS can run Roon just fine, however it does depend upon how powerful the nas is as to how "snappy" Roon runs. The database particularly benefits from being on a SSD. But no, you are not losing anything in audio quality by doing so.
Roon Nucleus is just Roon cashing in on a market. Nothing wrong in doing so, but making out it sounds better is just nonsense. Its just a computer. Your DAC should not be sensitive to the differences, if it is then changing the DAC is the answer, not changing the server.
My QNAP is not SSD. I care about sound quality as Roon interface runs just fine with QNAP. I have a Benchmark DAC and am very happy with it. Thank you

OP
Jerry Sobel

Jerry Sobel

Forum Donor
What is the budget? What are the storage needs?
I have money to spend but I do not want to buy something if it will be no better than what I have. I have learned the hard way but this forum has set me straight and educated me.

Top Bottom