• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What headphone(s) do you own ?

OP
solderdude

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I have black colored headphones, the sound of which is worth listening to ;)

Most of mine are also black and also worth listening to. :)

BoredErica

Addicted to Fun and Learning
HD800. Use an EQ and it's fine. Only thing is the pads wear out on my quickly and replacements are expensive. Friend's sending Orator his HD800 with Dekoni pads for an EQ. Imo HD800 is a fine headphone and I don't really get an itch to get another headphone.

Tremolo

hd580 precision (still my favourite) and sony mdr-v6. Recently I bought akg 612pro. Once I had a k240DF that I remember I liked but has fallen apart some years ago. I still have the drivers but I'm afraid one membrane is damaged

Bernard23

3 x Grado, 1 x Beyer, 1 x BASN, 1 x LZ-A4 (defunct) AKG 550/3 1 x Klipsch (also dead now). My sons have adopted some of them, but the Grados are my dailies.

Rayman30

Forum Donor
+1 Audeze LCD-X (2021) will be delivered Monday :)

OP
solderdude

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Don't be... I don't discriminate .. all colours are beautiful.

As with all black and coloured headphones: some are worth listening to others not so much.

Bernard23

some are worth listening to others not so much.
Indeed. The most useful single variable in a complex chain. I've loved all of my speakers and headphones from the day it all started, with all of their foibles, probable distortion and colour. So long as I can sleep happy knowing that the electronic stuff in front isn't messing with the party.

DavidEdwinAston

Forum Donor
I imagine the Jecklin Float Electrstatics will be the best transducer I will ever own.
Rather limply, I can only say they sounded perfect! In use, rather too delicate. After two sets and at least one repair for each, they were replaced by the current Beyer DT770's. These are just fine, and being closed back suit the Missus rather better! (Unless l forget, and start wowling out an attempt at whatever I happen to be listening to. And, my Thunder Road is most definitely NOT, to die for!)

Michel Forbes

Ollo S4X and S4R,
They fit my three conditions:
-Excellent for music (quite flat and not bass heavy)
-Excellent for recording-mixing-editing
-Spare parts available for repair

Rayman30

Forum Donor
So far really liking the LCD-X, strangely remind me of HD-650 and Ananda combined, crazy thing is they might be more detailed than the Ananda!

IMG_3654.jpeg

fun

In estimated chronological order based on ownerships: Grado SR80, Koss KSC75, Ultimate EarPro Super.Fi 5 Pro, Senn HD598, JayBird BlueBud X, Sony MDR-ZX770BN, HifiMan Ananda, and Apple AirPods Pro.

Over the years, these are used for mainly 3 use cases:
- Casual/Critical Listening: Grado, Koss, HD598, Ananda
- Workout: UE, JayBird, AirPods
- Airplane/Travel: Sony (because of the ANC)

Right now, the AirPods Pro pretty much satisfy all 3 use cases quite well, so it's my most used headphone now. I would go for Ananda if I want more spaciousness and bass.

Last edited:

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just pulled a Cyber Monday trigger and bought a pair of Sennheiser HD-6XX from Drop. I will use them at my sitting position for when I can't play the speakers, powered by a JDS Labs Atom amp tied to the Record Out bus of my main system's preamp.

Those go with the Bose QC-35's that I use for travel, connected via Bluetooth to my phone. My AKG K371 headphones have developed a problem in the right ear that causes breakup and distortion when pushed beyond moderate loudness (and no, it's not a hair under the grille), and they'll need to go back to Harman for warranty repair. And I have a pair of Koss Pro4S headphones, and though they sound fine to me, they are on-ear (at least on my ears) and not comfortable after a while. And then there are the Sennheiser RD-185 wireless headphones, which I sometimes use on my main system (they are fed by a TOSlink cable from my Benchmark ADC, which gets its analog signal from the Record Out bus of my preamp).

I've tried to stick with headphones that work well without EQ, and that don't cost a fortune. I see headphones as a listening compromise--I'd always rather be listening to speakers--so I don't optimize for them.

Rick "needed an update since the last entry" Denney

NewbieOne

I'm what my name suggests, so I'm only just getting into this. I do have one or two budget headphones, but my first real one, which happens to be the Tygr 300R, is on its way. I'm eyeballing the Sundaras and HE400SEs at this time and have notifications set on a popular auction site for used AKGs and Beyers that might interest me, along with Senns 560s.

tsanguine

Forum Donor
I'm sure I'm missing some but t his is what I've owned.

Grado 60s, 80, 125, 225, 325... I can't remember if these were e's or i's or what.
AKG K7XX, K371
Fostex T-X0
Koss Porta Pro, KPH40
Sennheiser HD 6XX
Oppo PM-3
Focal Elear
Dan Clark Aeon Flow Closed, Aeon2 Closed
Sony WH-1000XM3
Pioneer Monitor 10 II
Hifiman 400i (I hated these. Have never chosen a headphone with a round cup since these.)

Many of these have different pads.

I currently am trialing the Koss KPH40 a lot for daily use and while working. Using with Quedlix 5k. Currently EQ'd usingKPH30i and enjoying it for what it is. Think a cable modded Porta Pro might be perfect using my Oculus Quest 2 while working out with Supernatural. Really need to try sideloading to EQ in the Quest2.

Use my HD6XX the most. Connected to E1DA Powerdac and a first gen MS Surface on my nightstand.

My Focal Elear is my favorite just barely edging out Aeon2 Flow. My Aeon2 Flows or modded for 3.5mm instead of the stock connector at the cups.

I just paid to have my Foxtex T-X0's modded but their lead time is pretty long.

I enjoy my Sony's for the noise cancelling but can't stand the midbass bloat stock. I use SoundID on Android to EQ it.

Nearly all my content is through Spotify. I'm sure I'm missing something but this is what I remember.

MrBrainwash

UPDATE:
Hifiman Sundara (new)
Hifiman HE-4XX
Sennheiser HD650 (new)
Sennheiser HD58x
Beyerdynamic DT 1990 pro
Beyerdynamic Tygr 300R
Takstar HF-580 (new sendy pads)
Philips Fidelio X2
Superlux HD-668b
V-moda M80
TRN MT1 (new)
KZ-EDX
Another update:

End Game: Beyerdynamic DT 1990 pro / Hifiman Sundara

Back up: Hifiman HE-4XX / Philips Fidelio X2 (x2)

Fun:
Sennheiser HD650 / Takstar HF-580

Mobile: Creative Aurvana SE / EarFun Free Pro Oluv Edition

Storage:
KZ-EDX / TRN MT1 / AKG EO-IG955 / Superlux HD-668b / V-moda M80

----
I have also: Sennheiser HD560s, Sennheiser HD58x, Beyerdynamic Tygr 300r but propably I will sell them soon, great headphones but I don't need that many xD.

MrBrainwash

So the last update , since this is your endgame?
"End Game" wont change at least for a couple of years or so. This is becouse 1) I am satisfied. Both pairs have sound I was looked for. 2) I don't see anything interesting that give me big improvement for reasonable price and fullfil my criteria. I can't predict future but audio-illness is behind me and these babies ara my antibodies. :D

I have other headphones for practical reasons and this also helps to don't get bored with one sound signature. Something might change in case of them. But the propability is low. Therefore it might be my last update in this topic, yeah...

Do you find your end game?

Top Bottom