• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel Concerta C10 Review (center speaker)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 48 25.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 63 33.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 68 36.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 9 4.8%

• Total voters
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
For that particular use, is the target curve different then ?
No. The Predicted-in-room response is excellent above bass.

Think of it this way. Take a perfect speaker that has 20 to 20 kHz response. Then high pass it at 200 Hz. Does it become a terrible speaker?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
But the Polk was Terrible????
For a center speaker, yes:

index.php

That is laser focused beam. The Revel is much better in this regard:

index.php

TeeMann

Its a pretty (and likely expensive) Squawk Box that has No Place in a HiFi arena. Mate it to your favorite CB radio and have at it. But PLEASE kick it out of your living room!

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No. The Predicted-in-room response is excellent above bass.

Think of it this way. Take a perfect speaker that has 20 to 20 kHz response. Then high pass it at 200 Hz. Does it become a terrible speaker?
True.
But did you try to listen to it this way ?

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Still giving a headless panther due to insufficient horizontal directivity. I don't think anyone should buy a center channel with such a narrow beam width even if the response is great.

respice finem

Major Contributor
"Horses for courses". IMHO nobody in his right mind will buy mini-speakers for a big home cinema. But, some people have "home cinema" setups on 15 m2. Such a mini-center for a mini-system should be judged in its intended context, for which it isn't bad.
The other question, if such a system could be better off with a "phantom center" - I think it is sometimes the case, at least when correct center placement is also problematic.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Still giving a headless panther due to insufficient horizontal directivity. I don't think anyone should buy a center channel with such a narrow beam width even if the response is great
Shouldn’t buyers consider the directivity width (in this case 40 degrees) and their listening distance, and how many seats they want to sound good? And sometimes it is about TV speakers or something this size... You could get a pretty nice sounding system with this C10 and the M10s (vertical counterparts) for LR mounted on a wall and a small sub on the front wall. I agree that if you can fit a larger alternative it opens up a lot of other options that wouldn’t compromise directivity...

TeeMann

For a center speaker, yes:

index.php

That is laser focused beam. The Revel is much better in this regard:

index.php
The tradeoff for the Polk is a small sweet spot. At least it aims to be a full-range speaker, and does so with relatively low distortion Many of us covet the center seat anyhow, so would be a a non issue for small sitting areas and/or small audiences. This Revel unit, on the other hand, has no obvious redeemable quality...that I would value. Narrow bandwidth and high distortion are immediate disqualifications in my book.

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
The purpose of this speaker a supplement to help center voices, is it not? So there is no need for much energy below 300 Hz, which is realistically where the rolloff is. By eye the -6 point is about 140 Hz.
Plentry of human of voices go below 300hrz. Many/most.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The tradeoff for the Polk is a small sweet spot. At least it aims to be a full-range speaker, and does so with relatively low distortion Many of us covet the center seat anyhow, so would be a a non issue for small sitting areas and/or small audiences. This Revel unit, on the other hand, has no obvious redeemable quality...that I would value. Narrow bandwidth and high distortion are immediate disqualifications in my book
Funny, that is what I thought about the Polk....Revel C10 PIR shows a much totally better speaker in my opinion as well. In addition, I actually thought the distortion was better on the Revel as well. Both are full of compromises due to their size but I don’t see anything the Polk does better than the revel except for playing lower which can be mitigated with a small sub up front in such a system.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Shouldn’t buyers consider the directivity width (in this case 40 degrees) and their listening distance, and how many seats they want to sound good? And sometimes it is about TV speakers or something this size... You could get a pretty nice sounding system with this C10 and the M10s (vertical counterparts) for LR mounted on a wall and a small sub on the front wall. I agree that if you can fit a larger alternative it opens up a lot of other options that wouldn’t compromise directivity...
I don't think the acceptable criteria change because it's a center channel. The preference score equation still holds for this type of speaker. People should realize the severe sound quality compromise inherent in this type of design. I never realized until Amir's measurements the impact on directivity with these middle tweeter designs. Most of us buying home theater systems think this is how center channels are supposed to be designed. That now needs to be aggressively challenged to break that long held belief.

H-713

Why is that? It comes with brackets that let you wall mount them vertically.
Okay, didn't realize it came with brackets. If you mentioned that in the review, forgive me, I'm sleepy.

That said, this thing rolls off pretty early... subwoofer integration isn't going to be the easiest with this one.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Also, as this speaker for many would be mounted on wall with the bracket, it is important to note the affect on frequency response when mounted on the wall. Below is from the spec sheet of the JBL Control 25av (small 5 inch woofer) that can be mounted on wall with included bracket. Note the added bass starting at around 700hz which is in the ball park of where this speaker rolls off. I don’t think that is a coincidence. When installed on wall as intended, it can have a pretty dramatic affect on the bass.
69C625B6-DE72-4DCB-84C8-66E342822376.jpeg

Last edited:

GWolfman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Mni, yet compotent (considering its size).

DanTheMan

Wall mounting is why I voted “not terrible”. That said, since my first home theater I’ve used 3 identical speakers across the front. That’s why I settled for 5” speakers crossed over at180Hz. There’s always compromises and money can be spent to minimize them. you can’t locate my subs using your ears Which has been a criticism of such an approach. The sideways MTM or MMTMM wouldn’t work well at my viewing distance.

FeddyLost

Addicted to Fun and Learning
This speaker again relies on wall gain and it can't be evaluated correctly when measured in free field. Obviously it's a good example of speaker engineering, but applying metrics made for standard stereo speakers is just useless.

Top Bottom