• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Alpine PDX-V9 Review (car amplifier)

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a review and detailed measurements of the Alpine PDX-V9 four channel amplifier plus subwoofer amp. It is on kind loan from a member and costs US $999.

Despite having one more channel than PDX-F6, The V9 is in the same box:
Alpine PDX-V9 Review subwoofer five channel car amplifier.jpg

Let's see if it measures as well as the F6 did.

Alpine PDX-V9 Measurements
Here is our usual dashboard:
Alpine PDX-V9 Measurements  five channel car amplifier.png

As with PDX-F6, there is some channel mismatch but not as much. Distortion though varies between the two with one channel weaker now. It lands the V9 slightly below the F6 as a result:

Best multichannel car audio review.png

This theme continues in SNR test:

Alpine PDX-V9 Measurements SNR five channel car amplifier.png

As well as crosstalk:
Alpine PDX-V9 Measurements Crosstalk  five channel car amplifier.png

Frequency response is improved though (although not in an audible way):

Alpine PDX-V9 Measurements Frequency Response  five channel car amplifier.png

There was ringing above audio band with PDX-F6 which is gone now with V9.

Multitone shows slightly more distortion again:

Alpine PDX-V9 Measurements Multitone five channel car amplifier.png

But very respectable in grand scheme of things.

I had a hell of a time getting consistent power vs distortion curve. I tightened all the connections and messed around for a couple of hours and this is the best I could get:

Alpine PDX-V9 Measurements Power into 4 ohm  five channel car amplifier.png

It seems to be a power delivery issue. Same shows up with 8 ohm load:
Alpine PDX-V9 Measurements Power into 8 ohm  five channel car amplifier.png

And dramatically as we change the frequencies:
Alpine PDX-V9 Measurements Power vs distortion vs frequency into 4 ohm  five channel car ampli...png

FFT spectrum shows more messiness than F6:

Alpine PDX-V9 Measurements FFT five channel car amplifier.png

Power output was a bit higher though than F6:

Alpine PDX-V9 Measurements Max and Peak Power into 4 ohm  five channel car amplifier.png

Conclusions
It appears that in the process of adding another amplifier module with high power output for the sub, the overall performance is degraded some compared to last generation. What we see here is still quite good for a car audio amplifier but we were spoiled with how good with the PDX-F6.

I am going to recommend the Alpine PDX-V9, just not super enthusiastically.

----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

Jdunk54nl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I purchased this amp used a couple years ago now for $200 used on offerup.

Here is the birth sheet for this amp
1EE9E90A-172A-46AB-9DFD-A618EB14729C.jpeg

Last edited:

GWolfman

Forum Donor
I tightened all the connections and messed around for a couple of hours and this is the best I could get
(emphasis added)

Thanks for your dedication for trying to provide reliable and accurate test results, even when the equipment doesn't want to behave.

Jdunk54nl

My truck always is about 14.2volts to 14.4volts according to my OBD tool that provides real time gauges (sct x4 device). That is also a 240amp alternator.

capslock

Clearly a dodgy power supply design, but I woudn't vouch for the four main channels using exactly the same design as in the F6. We have -78 dB to -85 dB for the third harmonic and -90-95 for the others whereas the F6 had them all at -102 or better dB. The F6 had also nearly frequency independent distortion while the V9 gets poorer a HF. This is not a power supply issue, it means there is less loop gain at high frequency, hence a different design.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Snag_5b08647f.png

What type of output (speaker) connectors are these (red circled)? Never had the pleasure to have worked with them...
Another ignorant question: When mobile amps are tested, is the nominal 'battery' power at 14.4Vdc or is it the customary (what is referred to as) "12.0Vdc"?
The two 40Amp fuses also confuse me >> is the 2nd fuse solely for the sub?

Jdunk54nl

They use these little speaker plug things that go into the red circled holes.
m95571880786_1.jpg

1639161048941.jpeg

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Ah what a shame it did not reach the full potention of the F6. Still good though.

PS: @amirm the power x THD+N graphs are written ICEpower instead of PDX-V9.

Jdunk54nl

I also wonder if something could be slightly messed up with the amp. I am at least the second owner of it.

michaelahess

I've had this amp in my BRZ since I bought it new in 2012. Cost around $460. It runs a single 10" sealed sub and bi-amped Morel Elates. It's been very good to me. Along with the 200+ pounds of dynamat and thinsulate I installed to deaden the car.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
PS: @amirm the power x THD+N graphs are written ICEpower instead of PDX-V9.
Oops. That is the default name in the template and I must have forgotten to update them. :)

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
....Along with the 200+ pounds of dynamat and thinsulate I installed to deaden the car.
Ouch!
That is the act of one resolute and dedicated audio nerd.
You are willing to take a >10% weight penalty (~10% performance reduction[?]) on your BRZ!
Truly admirable and a die-hard audio decision over performance hit!;)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm What's the measurement (Vout) of your voltage source?
I indicated them on the graphs:

index.php

As you see, it says 13.4 volts. I started with 14 volts but during the previous testing it drew it down to 13.4. On some amps, I can leave my lab supply connected so it can charge the batteries back up between tests. Here, it causes power supply spikes to show up so I could not do that and hence the power supply drain. I did charge the battery in between the power measurements but as I noted, stability was poor and I had to keep repeating the tests, causing the battery to droop.

So yes, companies do rate these amps at higher voltages (often 14+ volts). I think you need dedicated and strong feed to get that kind of voltage at the amplifier in a car. In my RV with its real-time volt meter, I only see 13.7 volts for example.

Jdunk54nl

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Some of us are a little bit crazy…
I gave up my union card!
My last Dynamat exercise was with a '96 Supra, and with great results but all my performance-minded cohorts grilled me for the sub (rear deck), amps, DSPs, etc.
Recently some of my left-over Dynamat was used to quiet down an Intel NUC10 (inside the A/V cabinet), which I use for serving us movies.

CoryGillmore

Along with the 200+ pounds of dynamat and thinsulate I installed to deaden the car
Jesus Christ dude....you added 200lbs of material (not including speakers, sub, wires) to your sports car for better car audio? I think you're doing sports car all wrong...

I drive a 370Z and I spent $1200 on two-piece brake rotors that save 10lbs per wheel. Reading your post gave me a twitch.

Top Bottom