• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-9n Review (Balanced Stereo DAC)

ahender

There is a difference between saying "I really like the DAC using Fast Minimum, Rich 1" which is fine really, and something like "It sound natural and cool" which means a whole lot of nothing. The first would be an opinion. The second is just perpetuating myths.

The DAC I own does not sound "warm" nor "cool".
I’m looking for a DAC. I have read close to 50 pages of DAC responses today in several threads. Negative responses were leveled against anyone voicing a subjective opinion. Warm and cool terms did not have to be included in the comments. If a person said they could hear the difference between DACs, they were immediately attacked. Why is a simple opinion a threat to many on this website, including the moderator?

ahender

That's why I encourage people to do some controlled testing, so it doesn't come up as often.
So you are fine with personal attacks for differing opinions? I encountered many uncalled for responses in my reading today and you never once moderated. Just the opposite.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I’m looking for a DAC. I have read close to 50 pages of DAC responses today in several threads. Negative responses were leveled against anyone voicing a subjective opinion. Warm and cool terms did not have to be included in the comments. If a person said they could hear the difference between DACs, they were immediately attacked. Why is a simple opinion a threat to many on this website, including the moderator?

Because the idea that there are meaningful audible differences between two competent DAC's, that both can measure impeccably across whatever means one might choose to characterize the device, but that there are still all kinds of artistic descriptions about how one has a slight improvement in the whatever but overblows the whatever else, and that the other one has a much more up front something, but you give up front to back depth of something else...is why there are people buying $10k DAC's (or aspire to) because they believe it will sound better.

This site was set up not just to chat about our common hobby, but to be a place where a lot of the BS in the audio world is called out, like the thought that DAC's are more musical instruments than engineered devices is part of that BS. As you've seen, we try to cut through BS so it doesn't perpetuate.

As I have said, there are lots and lots of audio sites where anecdotal impressions are encouraged, but this site isn't going to turn into one of them.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
So you are fine with personal attacks for differing opinions? I encountered many uncalled for responses in my reading today and you never once moderated. Just the opposite.

Did you report any? Do you think I keep up with every thread or post?

This is primarily a member moderated site. I'm just another member who happens to have the privilege of being one of the two official mod's on the site, but for the most part it is self moderated. If you feel that you are being treated inappropriately, hit the report button, and that will bring it to the attention of one of us.

ahender

Did you report any? Do you think I keep up with every thread or post?

This is primarily a member moderated site. I'm just another member who happens to have the privilege of being one of the two official mod's on the site, but for the most part it is self moderated. If you feel that you are being treated inappropriately, hit the report button, and that will bring it to the attention of one of us.
You were posting in every thread, multiple times. I did not report anything. Why should I since the you were fine with these comments. It was not me on the end of these personal attacks. I'm not going to drag this out. Have a great day.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
You were posting in every thread, multiple times. I did not report anything. Why should I since the you were fine with these comments. It was not me on the end of these personal attacks. I'm not going to drag this out. Have a great day.

Some days its more like whack-a-mole than others.

Funny thing...some join simply to discredit our host, the site, whatever...with very little in the way of good faith contribution to the community (like, maybe 2 out of your total post count as an example), and it does make the job more difficult, but I do what I can. Funny what people describe as an attack. If you are going to confuse being challenged with being attacked, this is definitely not the right place.

daclogic

Show me how you could perform that, I'm aware to see :)
Nor it does not make coffee

Maybe it will be usefull to ask SMSL about Firmware mods, what could be done...
See #207 above. Maybe they are wrong? Sure seems like no one around knows how to use this thing.

Rover

would give 100 likes. but you can only 1. thanks for the review and for your opinion!
Thanks !SU-9n unexpectedly excellent dac.Its increased output voltage is perfectly suited to the power amplifier.And a huge selection of filters and a choice of sound color makes it possible to adjust the sound to your technique.

Wuzel

Fun fact:
I can hear a difference between some DAC's (not all of course) to and im not crazy :) (ok, i think im not...)
In special ESS<>AKM Chips.

Firmware related Topic:
I sign up for voluntarily in case of software engineering :)

ABSNimes

Firmware related Topic:
I sign up for voluntarily in case of software engineering :)
Maybe it's time to open a new thread relative to SU-9n users.
We could share about settings, tips, whishes...

SMSL-mandy from SMSL, member here, wrote "Software of su9n can be upgraded by customer" (post #132)

@Wuzel, nice to read your signup :cool:
This could be quite interresting to see what could be done.
Is there anyone from SMSL to jump in ?

Last edited:

CtheArgie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Very stupid question! How do you pair the remote control to the 9n? It is a different one to the 8, so no "C" button.
Sorry!
Thanks.

ABSNimes

No, I don't think it's a stupid question, maybe I'm missing something.
But for the coffe, I'm quite confident ;)

daclogic

Hi @daclogic, please show me how you do that...
SU-9n remote can control your subs ?
Can't figure how you do that trick ;)
There's some misunderstanding with @dennyboy post #207
No. I asked a simple question - can the XLR or RCA outputs be turned off? @dennyboy suggested I turn the subs off from my remote. Given that we were taking about the SU-9n and its remote, you would presume he meant its remote. Maybe the volume of the RCA and XLR outputs can be operated independently of each other. Who knows? There is no logic in him presuming my subs have a remote - of course they don't. So I asked him for clarification, but none was forthcoming. And so other people got confused too. Thread pollution. But as no one has answered yes, I can only conclude that no, you cant turn off XLR or RCA outputs. Pity. Such a simple question, so hard to get an answer, so much confusion. Sorry about that.

FeliZ

Measurements arent the only "truth".
Ess Dacs Sound different than AKM
Class D Sounds different than Class A
And even cables can have different sound signatures.

Everybody loves good measuring equipment, i also switched my Class A Amp to the new Topping PA-5

With my Genelec monitors it is really hard to hear these differences, with the horn speakers it is much easier.

Back to the topic:
I am selling my Chord Mojo selling atm and buying the SU-9N then

ABSNimes

No. I asked a simple question - can the XLR or RCA outputs be turned off? @dennyboy suggested I turn the subs off from my remote. Given that we were taking about the SU-9n and its remote, you would presume he meant its remote. Maybe the volume of the RCA and XLR outputs can be operated independently of each other. Who knows? There is no logic in him presuming my subs have a remote - of course they don't. So I asked him for clarification, but none was forthcoming. And so other people got confused too. Thread pollution. But as no one has answered yes, I can only conclude that no, you cant turn off XLR or RCA outputs. Pity. Such a simple question, so hard to get an answer, so much confusion. Sorry about that.
I'm using a SU-9n for about 45 days, previsously SU-9, and you can't mute XLR or RCA outputs.
SU-9n has a new remote "RC-8C". You can mute both outputs (XLR/RCA).
There is no output selector you can configure using "Menu" options.

I don't know if this kind of feature could be added to current FW.
First requirement is to know if the device is equiped with hardware that can achieve this goal.

Once more, schematics and functions diagrams of the unit could help.

Last edited:

pwn87

i tried so hard but couldn't hear a difference between my focusrite 2i2 2nd gen (on unbalanced and with a dual transformer/isolator in between!) and this.
maybe ever so slightly more "air" ("ethereal" or "wider stereo"), but i think i'm just imagining it (maybe because im using speakers?)
and i think the volume is more consistent, as if my focusrite is not getting enough power in some passages.
only paid 305€ but that's just too much money for optical and xmos asio. (xmos is pretty decent right?)
ordered su-6 for 185€ now, hope it's just as good

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
i tried so hard but couldn't hear a difference between my focusrite 2i2 2nd gen (on unbalanced and with a dual transformer/isolator in between!) and this.
maybe ever so slightly more "air" ("ethereal" or "wider stereo"), but i think i'm just imagining it (maybe because im using speakers?)
and i think the volume is more consistent, as if my focusrite is not getting enough power in some passages.
only paid 305€ but that's just too much money for optical and xmos asio. (xmos is pretty decent right?)
ordered su-6 for 185€ now, hope it's just as good
At least you seem immune to the joy of plugging in a brand new toy making miniscule differences seem more massive, applaud you for that.. but it can be an expensive lesson :)

Diminishing returns, placebo/expectation bias are very real. Doubly so in this audiophile context!

Rover

At least you seem immune to the joy of plugging in a brand new toy making miniscule differences seem more massive, applaud you for that.. but it can be an expensive lesson :)

Diminishing returns, placebo/expectation bias are very real. Doubly so in this audiophile context!
You contradict this forum.Where it is clear and understandable, the better the SINAD, the higher the quality.You play along with a person who has proved to your ear that there is no difference between a bad SINAD and a chic SINAD!!!Everything sounds the same,By his ear.:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

2i2 2nd gen--------------------------SU-9n

Dynamic Range110.5dB -----------------125dB
THD+N<0.002%--------------------------0.00006%
Why do you offer to buy with the worst characteristics when there are available with the best characteristics.

Last edited:
Top Bottom