• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best (affordable) way to decouple my speaker stands?

JaccoW

So I moved my Argon Audio Forte A5 active speakers from the classic Ikea Kallax cabinets to the matching speakers stands today and while I certainly like how they sound and look I do need to look into a better way to decouple them from the floor.

The supplied 1cm silicon half balls do work but there is a lot of bass going into the floor right now and I kind of want to keep my neighbours happy.
Inverting the Soundcare superspikes that I used before helps a bit (basically you make it really hard for the sound to travel from the stand into the floor) but it is still coupled this way. Filling them with sand is not an option here unfortunately unless I close up the holes and run the cables externally.

Should I grab something like Audio Solution dampeners or Tonar no rumble pads? Grab lots of sorbothane sheets and start layering? Anything else?

The speakers (4.1kg/9lbs) + stands (4.9kg/10.8lbs) weigh about 9kg/19.8lbs each.

Old setup

New setup (WIP)

Lambda

Major Contributor
plattenspieler-entkoppeln-tennisbaelle-betonplatte.jpg

Put something heavy on something soft.
More layers more better

Mechanical equivalent of an LC filter

OP
JaccoW

JaccoW

plattenspieler-entkoppeln-tennisbaelle-betonplatte.jpg

Put something heavy on something soft.
More layers more better

Mechanical equivalent of an LC filter
Something like a marble or granite plate? The platform/feet of the stand are 22cm wide and 30cm deep so a 30cm x 40cm x 2cm cutting board could work when used with another layer of dampening in between right?

spiral scratch

Spikes couple, doesn't matter which way you point 'em. The stuff about them draining vibration is I think audiofoolery, but somebody who understands vibrational physics would likely have a more correct response. Definitely go with springy if you want decoupling. The tennis balls work, I seem to remember this discussed here somewhere that tennis balls only decouple in a horizontal plane, so not complete decoupling but better than nothing (and cheap to try).

I use these under my speaker stands:

I use the cork pads and cut one 4" pad into 16x1" pieces to place on corners. They can be found in plumbing and HVAC shops for about $3 each.

or you can pay these guys $400 to put a plank of maple on top for you too

Last edited:

deprogrammed

So I moved my Argon Audio Forte A5 active speakers from the classic Ikea Kallax cabinets to the matching speakers stands today and while I certainly like how they sound and look I do need to look into a better way to decouple them from the floor.

The supplied 1cm silicon half balls do work but there is a lot of bass going into the floor right now and I kind of want to keep my neighbours happy.
Inverting the Soundcare superspikes that I used before helps a bit (basically you make it really hard for the sound to travel from the stand into the floor) but it is still coupled this way. Filling them with sand is not an option here unfortunately unless I close up the holes and run the cables externally.

Should I grab something like Audio Solution dampeners or Tonar no rumble pads? Grab lots of sorbothane sheets and start layering? Anything else?

The speakers (4.1kg/9lbs) + stands (4.9kg/10.8lbs) weigh about 9kg/19.8lbs each.

Old setup

New setup (WIP)
I put Yoga blocks under my powered monitors on my desk. Desk stopped vibrating. I know there is 2" thick and 4" thick. Probably more. Tons of colors. Seen people use them to hold headphones as well.

Lambda

Major Contributor
Granite is maybe close to ideal because its hard and heavy

But Concrete is would be about the same. You can chose what you think looks best.

For the Soft and Springy Damping Material you want as soft as possible if loaded with the wait from the speaker and gratin block.
Some say on tennis some say squash ball Some say a ring of silicone tubing.
Or just some foam or sponge blocks https://hackaday.com/2020/05/20/bricking-your-3d-printer-in-a-good-way/

or maybe something
293cb4c1d8b508560b436890478e2353--wuxi-mechanical-design.jpg

1PC-Mini-Steel-Wire-Rope-Shock-Absorber-Damper-Vibration-Dampeners-Aviod-Shake-Mount-for-UAV-Drone.jpg

fdbb2d1223f74acaf998f639ad5d4afb.jpg

"wire rope vibration absorber" the video Guys use it alle the time

Adam Bernau

Forum Donor

Old setup

New setup (WIP)
I have done this many times, and this is what always works best for me and costs a few bucks and one hour of work:
First of all, i would strongly advise against any spikes or exotic and overpriced "isolators", they are mostly isolating you from your money, forever, providing nothing in exchange :) I would personally recommend to:
1. dampen the resonances of the upper metal plate- from bellow i would apply this self-gluing sandwich of bitumen and aluminium, if you cut in the exact shape it will just add another 2 milimeters to the thickness, it is easy to cut by sharp knife or scissors.
2. Add some isolating and vibration absorbing layer on the top of the plate- i would make the same shape again from this bitumen foam and glue it on the top, so it would create absorbing and also isolating layer between the speakers and the top plate. 5 mm thickness will do, 10mm will be even better.
3. I really couldn´t find what is the lower plate of the stands standing on, if there are just some non-adjustable feet and your floor is flat enough, I would glue one more layer of the Stp gold bellow, perhaps leaving a little space around the edges so it won´t be visible, and i would do the same again and glue the same shaped sheet of the Biplast foam, again in 5, or preferably 10mm thickness (it will compress to around half under load).
4. The beginning of the resonances is obviously in the speakers boxes themselves. If the enclosures of your Argon active speakers are vibrating during playback, i would also highly recommend to take the drivers and possible dampening stuff out, make a few pre-measured rectangles of pre-glued sandwich which you would make from gluing the 5 or 10mm biplast foam on the Stp gold and cover all the available walls of the speakers inside with this , making sure that it is in contact with the inner walls surface as much as it can be.
You would be very surprised with the changes and improvements, if you do all this, thank me later! . :)

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Way overthought in most cases IMO as far as purchasing a solution and when I see your speakers I'm wondering just what's being transferred and if it's significant. You should experiment with some household padding materials first and compare with your neighbor....

astolfo

NobSound or not so affordable Townshend Seismic Pod the best out there. Look what they did for my sound.
The Nobsound springs get you 1/4 there.
I cant explain the change, SO much better. All that energy from 285Hz and lower is gone.

LP= left channel plus podiums.

Attachments

• Left-No_podiums.jpg
    Left-No_podiums.jpg
    888.9 KB · Views: 147
  • Left-podiums.jpg
    Left-podiums.jpg
    953.4 KB · Views: 132
  • LPspectogram.jpg
    LPspectogram.jpg
    534.7 KB · Views: 155
  • LSpectogram.jpg
    LSpectogram.jpg
    585.7 KB · Views: 136
OP
JaccoW

JaccoW

Spikes couple, doesn't matter which way you point 'em. The stuff about them draining vibration is I think audiofoolery, but somebody who understands vibrational physics would likely have a more correct response. Definitely go with springy if you want decoupling. The tennis balls work, I seem to remember this discussed here somewhere that tennis balls only decouple in a horizontal plane, so not complete decoupling but better than nothing (and cheap to try).

I use these under my speaker stands:

I use the cork pads and cut one 4" pad into 16x1" pieces to place on corners. They can be found in plumbing and HVAC shops for about $3 each.

or you can pay these guys $400 to put a plank of maple on top for you too

That could be true. I just tried what I had on hand first but like you said, I don't know enough about how that works either.
I put Yoga blocks under my powered monitors on my desk. Desk stopped vibrating. I know there is 2" thick and 4" thick. Probably more. Tons of colors. Seen people use them to hold headphones as well.
I'll keep that in mind. For the living room I probably just want black but I have a desk upstairs that could use some treatment later.

Granite is maybe close to ideal because its hard and heavy

But Concrete is would be about the same. You can chose what you think looks best.

For the Soft and Springy Damping Material you want as soft as possible if loaded with the wait from the speaker and gratin block.
Some say on tennis some say squash ball Some say a ring of silicone tubing.
Or just some foam or sponge blocks https://hackaday.com/2020/05/20/bricking-your-3d-printer-in-a-good-way/
Yeah I figured as much. Concrete being about 2.3 g/cm3 and marble is 2.7 g/cm³.

I can get two 30 x 40cm marble cutting boards at about 5.1kg (11.2lbs) each for €36 ($41) and 8 pieces of resonance dampeners for another €11 ($12.50). That should be a good starting point.

I will report back once I receive them later this week.

OP
JaccoW

JaccoW

Way overthought in most cases IMO as far as purchasing a solution and when I see your speakers I'm wondering just what's being transferred and if it's significant. You should experiment with some household padding materials first and compare with your neighbor....
I'm going relatively simple first with some heavy plates and dampeners in between. No need to rebuild the house (or speakers) just yet.

When I listened tonight with some relatively bass-heavy music at modest levels I could feel it coming up from the floor through my feet. But we're talking jazz with some bass, not even techno at this point. And my living room is located right above my downstairs neighbour bedroom.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm going relatively simple first with some heavy plates and dampeners in between. No need to rebuild the house (or speakers) just yet.

When I listened tonight with some relatively bass-heavy music at modest levels I could feel it coming up from the floor through my feet. But we're talking jazz with some bass, not even techno at this point. And my living room is located right above my downstairs neighbour bedroom.
I'm not used to floors that resonant! I'd still experiment with things like towels/blankets and see how the isolation works or not....

UCrazyKid

Sorbothane is what you want. Search Amazon or eBay for generic Sorbothane hemispheres, place them under your speakers.

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
BlueTack adhesive "gum" would get my vote.

It won't leave much of a mark on furniture finishes.

I've had good luck with this as well, except now I can't get my speakers off the stands! If anyone has any tips, would appreciate it!

OP
JaccoW

JaccoW

I'm not used to floors that resonant! I'd still experiment with things like towels/blankets and see how the isolation works or not....
It's a tiled floor (former chappel) on concrete that has had another floor built on top of it with laminate flooring on top of that. Generally it is very well isolated towards my neighbours but there will be a bit of a soundboard going on underneath it. :p

OP
JaccoW

JaccoW

Sorbothane is what you want. Search Amazon or eBay for generic Sorbothane hemispheres, place them under your speakers.
I found some and put them on my wishlist. I'll try out the parts that are on their way here first.
BlueTack adhesive "gum" would get my vote.

It won't leave much of a mark on furniture finishes.
The speakers are mounted to the stands with a BlueTack equivalent.

Lambda

Major Contributor
i have something like this for my Subwoofer:
91WUDFN79BL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

And it was a stupid choice and don't relay work. it is way to hard/stiff.

Maybe something like yoga matt or soft foam, Neopren or Sponge would be way better

Top Bottom