• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amplifier Bakeoff: Purifi Eval1, McIntosh MA252 & Benchmark AHB2

DHT 845

Interesting comparison esp. purify vs AHB2...
I am curious how Starkrimson GaN amp would place in the subjective ranking...

Willem

Major Contributor
Notwithstanding the laudible intentions of the OP, after 120 answers we are still pondering uncontrollled and thus ultimately subjective impressions.

pogo

Major Contributor
Notwithstanding the laudible intentions of the OP, after 120 answers we are still pondering uncontrollled and thus ultimately subjective impressions.
That always seems to be used as a killer argument here. I can only advise you to try it out on your own equipment. Before I now again 'advertising' and could be tempted to list amps with a switchable DF, I would be very interested in how the new T+A I mentioned would present itself in a listening test at different good speakers in this forum.

For me, the result is actually already known, since I have been making the same experiences with different amps on the same loudspeakers for about 30 years.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
That always seems to be used as a killer argument here.

Because controls actually do matter.

Without them, you are in anecdote land.

Not sure why that upsets people.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That always seems to be used as a killer argument here. I can only advise you to try it out on your own equipment. Before I now again 'advertising' and could be tempted to list amps with a switchable DF, I would be very interested in how the new T+A I mentioned would present itself in a listening test at different good speakers in this forum.

For me, the result is actually already known, since I have been making the same experiences with different amps on the same loudspeakers for about 30 years.

I don't think anyone would argue with that.. To me it is like the action-reaction thing, that each time someone claimed hearing a difference, it would invariably prompted questions on whether it was done in a controlled test that could remove any bias, the latter seems almost always a reaction.:D

Regardless, imo people deserve to enjoy any perceived improvements though I also share some concerns that when stated as though it is a fact that product A sounds better than product B with or without citing the perceived reasons, it may in fact be important to ask questions especially on forum such as ASR (the name science..). If simply stated as one's experience, preference, subjective opinion etc., then people should just leave it alone and avoid potentially spoiling the fun and enjoyment people are having.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Regardless, imo people deserve to enjoy any perceived improvements though I also share some concerns that when stated as though it is a fact that product A sounds better than product B with or without citing the perceived reasons, it may in fact be important to ask questions especially on forum such as ASR (the name science..).

That's exactly it to me. If presented as part of the joy of a new toy, or whatever, that's fine with me.

When they start with the 'shallow bass and recessed midrange' kind of talk, or I hated the sound of the D70, but loved the sound of the (fill in the blank with another competent DAC), effectively trying to talk others OUT of buying something, it becomes something different.

Gueco

Hello.

I own the audiophonics purifi eigentakt and later bought a benchmark ahb2.
My speakers are kef r3.

Some people here commented on the Kef r3 topic they find the kef r3 boring, including Amir. I reached the same conclusing and was not happy. I was shopping for new speakers. My purifi was driving the kef r3 at the time. But then I bought the benchmark ahb2. The Kef r3 changed completely. A lot more life and dynamics. My kef r3 became amazing.

So I am positive when I say the sound of the purifi is compressed in combination with the Kef R3. As far as I am concerned the purifi is an inferior product. I dont care how much people love Bruno, the purifi is crap. The Kef are probably hard to drive and that explains why so many people find them boring. With the purifi they lacked dynamics, very slow sound. Funny thing is the benchmark claims 100W and the purifi 200W.

For last I just want to say the benchmark ahb2 is amazing.

Last edited:

Ataraxia

Hello.

I own the purifi eigentakt and later bought a benchmark ahb2.
My speakers are kef r3.

Some people here commented on the Kef r3 topic they find the kef r3 boring, including Amir. I reached the same conclusing and was not happy. I was shopping for new speakers. My purifi was driving the kef r3 at the time. But then I bought the benchmark ahb2. The Kef r3 changed completely. A lot more liveliness and dynamics. My kef r3 became amazing.

So I am positive when I say the sound of the purifi is compressed in combination with the Kef R3. As far as I am concerned the purifi is an inferior product. I dont care how muck people love Bruno, the purifi is crap. The Kef are probably hard to drive and that explains why so many people find them boring. With the purifi they lacked dynamics, very slow sound. Funny thing is the benchmark claims 100W and the purifi 200W.

This guy loves his AHB2's in mono, KEF Ref 3.

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
Hello.

I own the audiophonics purifi eigentakt and later bought a benchmark ahb2.
My speakers are kef r3.

Some people here commented on the Kef r3 topic they find the kef r3 boring, including Amir. I reached the same conclusing and was not happy. I was shopping for new speakers. My purifi was driving the kef r3 at the time. But then I bought the benchmark ahb2. The Kef r3 changed completely. A lot more life and dynamics. My kef r3 became amazing.

So I am positive when I say the sound of the purifi is compressed in combination with the Kef R3. As far as I am concerned the purifi is an inferior product. I dont care how much people love Bruno, the purifi is crap. The Kef are probably hard to drive and that explains why so many people find them boring. With the purifi they lacked dynamics, very slow sound. Funny thing is the benchmark claims 100W and the purifi 200W.

Just placebo, it's always the same. People get the new toy and omg it's amazing how much it change ! and then in 3 months there is another upgrade. MEH.

The R3 sounds like that because of their aggresive slope in their 100hz-20hz, for fix that thing you are going to need a low shelf filter.

Gueco

Its not placebo at all, its very noticeble how slow the KEF sound with the purifi.

If you did not test the sound don't say things like that. If almost like you are part of a cult

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
Its not placebo at all, its very noticebla how slow the KEF sound with the purifi.

If you did not test the sound don't say things like that. If almost like you are part of a cult
I have the KEF R7 + purifi, i can confirm it's 100% placebo.

Now the purifi it's slow? my god.

Gueco

I am very sensitive to microdynamics. Maybe you are not. And maybe you like the slow sound you have now
I also need a special cable that you have?

Better stop talking and start posting measurements why the Purifi it's a slow power amp, please.
I also need a special cable that you have?

Better stop talking and start posting measurements why the Purifi it's a slow power amp, please.
you are a cult follower pretending to be scientific, its always the same

Gueco

Oh yeah boy, you are the very special golden ear here.
LMAO.
Not special ears at all, its very noticeble. Do you really think that what measures well sounds so similar we cant notice the differences? You have no experience then. Maybe buy more equipment before commenting

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
Not special ears at all, its very noticeble. Do you really think that what measures well sounds so similar we cant notice the differences? You have no experience then. Maybe buy more equipment before commenting
Yes, golden ears boy.

Gueco

I like this forum but some people here are complete cultists. Why do you think even Amir does a sound test using his... golden ears?
Cult boy, make some more money and buy more equipment before commenting further.

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
I like this forum but some people here are complete cultists. Why do you think even Amir does a sound test using his... golden ears?
Cult boy, make some more money and buy more equipment before commenting further.
Sure, Golden ear boy.

Top Bottom