• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-9n Review (Balanced Stereo DAC)

Westsounds

Users and reviewer/s have stated that XLR and RCA outputs run at the same time. Can either of them be turned off? From my reading of the manual, I see no such option. Can any user confirm? It's a deal-breaker for me.
Why a deal breaker?

I actually thought it was a nice feature to have two outputs. There are not many sources which have that especially a choice of two connectors as well. There is so much more you could do with that.

daclogic

Why a deal breaker?

I actually thought it was a nice feature to have two outputs. There are not many sources which have that especially a choice of two connectors as well. There is so much more you could do with that.
It is a useful feature, I agree. I use something similar now. The XLR run the subs, RCA to the amp. But in bed about midnight I like to turn the subs off. And if I have to get out of bed to disconnect XLR cables, that's a deal-breaker.

Westsounds

It is a useful feature, I agree. I use something similar now. The XLR run the subs, RCA to the amp. But in bed about midnight I like to turn the subs off. And if I have to get out of bed to disconnect XLR cables, that's a deal-breaker.
Buy a smart Power strip for your subs it'll cost you roughly £20 on amazon or two plugs £5 each. You can switch off subs from your phone then. Or if you have amazon alexa you don't need a phone, you just program the plugs and say Alexa Subs Off, and your personal assistant does it for you :) That is actually exactly what I'm doing in my set up.

I have subs connected and neighbours complain at night so I reduce the output after a certain time. HiFi still sounds wonderful just less bass. The dual outputs on the 9n is just one of the few devices that allows extra outputs and gives you flexibility to use it for other things. Great if you are into analogue recording also or want to use a tube buffer. But with the filters on the 9n it can give the effect of a tube anyway but you still might like your own tubes.

daclogic

Buy a smart Power strip for your subs it'll cost you roughly £20 on amazon or two plugs £5 each. You can switch off subs from your phone then. Or if you have amazon alexa you don't need a phone, you just program the plugs and say Alexa Subs Off, and your personal assistant does it for you :) That is actually exactly what I'm doing in my set up.

I have subs connected and neighbours complain at night so I reduce the output after a certain time. HiFi still sounds wonderful just less bass. The dual outputs on the 9n is just one of the few devices that allows extra outputs and gives you flexibility to use it for other things. Great if you are into analogue recording also or want to use a tube buffer. But with the filters on the 9n it can give the effect of a tube anyway but you still might like your own tubes.
That's a cool way of doing it. So do you have the SU-9/n? Can the outputs be switched off?

Westsounds

You can even program your plugs to switch off at a certain time everyday no need to even switch them off it'll automatically do it for you.

dennyboy

Turn the sub gain to lowest from the remote.

FeliZ

I recently bought the new Topping PA 5. It is still otw.
Unfortunately my Chord Mojo doesnt have balanced Outputs , so i am thinking of selling it and getting the
SU9N or DX30 Pro

Which would you recommend?

Westsounds

I recently bought the new Topping PA 5. It is still otw.
Unfortunately my Chord Mojo doesnt have balanced Outputs , so i am thinking of selling it and getting the
SU9N or DX30 Pro

Which would you recommend?
So hard to recommend anything because everyone has a personal preference. I owned the Mojo and did not like it at all. All I can say is the SU9N measures extremely well and is a good all-around DAC with great functionality and connections. To my ear, it sounds very good as well.

FeliZ

Thanks for the fast reply.

Yeah , i think i like a somewhat "analogue" , warm sound, because my Horn speakers a very transparent and sometimes too honest.
My girlfriend is sometimes dissapointed when she hears Low quality, or overcompressed Music.

Westsounds

Thanks for the fast reply.

Yeah , i think i like a somewhat "analogue" , warm sound, because my Horn speakers a very transparent and sometimes too honest.
My girlfriend is sometimes dissapointed when she hears Low quality, or overcompressed Music.
Subjectively I wouldn't call the SU9N warm personally although many reviewers do seem to. I would call it accurate and true to the recording. It doesn't have much of a character of its own that adds to the recording although there are filters on it which can very (very) subtly add a bit of flavour to the sound signature, so you are not entirely limited to one presentation. But those filters are at best hardly noticeable and of course the better your other components the better you will hear those differences.

An analogue sound presentation with digital is also something that is quite rare as well. Analogue is old technology and a different listening experience altogether. They both have their place if you ask me and are both great in their own ways. Analogue can add distortion that some find pleasing. Digital distortion is not as pleasing hence why you need something with as little distortion as possible. The SU9U achieves that but I wouldn't call it analogue sounding per se, it's more like good digital.

daclogic

So hard to recommend anything because everyone has a personal preference. I owned the Mojo and did not like it at all. All I can say is the SU9N measures extremely well and is a good all-around DAC with great functionality and connections. To my ear, it sounds very good as well.
It lets you turn down the subs, so yes, it does have great functionality.

ABSNimes

It lets you turn down the subs, so yes, it does have great functionality.
Show me how you could perform that, I'm aware to see :)
Nor it does not make coffee

Maybe it will be usefull to ask SMSL about Firmware mods, what could be done...

Last edited:

Rover

Replaced Topping-D90 (the first version.)with SMSL-9n.The sound is more Natural, more drive, more patch, more punch.The built-in volume control also plays more efficiently.No"Standard".
The ideal sound is to turn on the filter to"Fast minimym", and set the sound color to "Rich1".It plays great as a preamp together with a power amplifier!I liked the USB input with P4.Who likes a lot of bass-here it is!
The price is great.It's great that there is no MQA.Gorgeous sound-gorgeous measurements.:)

Last edited:

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
You guys should try some controlled tests...all this warmer/cooler stuff will almost surely disappear.

Get into the spirit of the place and actually put your ears to the test.

An analogue sound presentation with digital is also something that is quite rare as well. Analogue is old technology and a different listening experience altogether.

Do you believe you could tell the difference between a vinyl record being played, and a recording of the record after being ripped into a digital file?

I'm not sure what analog sound is other than pops and surface noise.

ahender

You guys should try some controlled tests...all this warmer/cooler stuff will almost surely disappear.

Get into the spirit of the place and actually put your ears to the test.

Do you believe you could tell the difference between a vinyl record being played, and a recording of the record after being ripped into a digital file?

I'm not sure what analog sound is other than pops and surface noise.
I don‘t understand this obsession of putting down every poster who dares mention listening to something. You are doing the exact opposite of what a moderator should do. Every single thread in this sub-category is littered with condescending comments against people who do not march in step with your philosophy. Your responsibility should limiting this not fueling the fire. This website is a cesspool of negativity against posters who simply have a differing opinion from your opinion.

Veri

Master Contributor
This website is a cesspool of negativity against posters who simply have a differing opinion from your opinion.
There is a difference between saying "I really like the DAC using Fast Minimum, Rich 1" which is fine really, and something like "It sound natural and cool" which means a whole lot of nothing. The first would be an opinion. The second is just perpetuating myths.

The DAC I own does not sound "warm" nor "cool".

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Your responsibility should limiting this not fueling the fire.

That's why I encourage people to do some controlled testing, so it doesn't come up as often.

cap1980

Заменил Topping-D90 (первая версия.) На SMSL-9n. Звук стал круче. Звук более естественный, больше драйв, больше патчей, больше пробивности. Встроенный регулятор громкости тоже играет более качественно. Нет "Стандарт" .
Идеальный звук - это включить фильтр на "Fast Minimym" и установить цвет звука на "Rich1". Он отлично играет в качестве предусилителя вместе с усилителем мощности! Мне понравился вход USB с P4. Кому нравится много бас-вот он!
Цена отличная. Замечательно, что нет MQA. Великолепный звук - шикарные замеры.:)
would give 100 likes. but you can only 1. thanks for the review and for your opinion!

Top Bottom