• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Let's talk about food!

Katji

Major Contributor
My favourite cooking channel, that is not actually much about cooking - it's supposed to be, but...sort of. Overall it's more like a Cape Town kitchen vlog, Cape Malay.
Kaapse taal miskien interessant vir de Nederlanders. :p

Katji

Major Contributor
1638795574267.png

?

https://g.co/doodle/xds69wp

1638795716106.png

Trouble Maker

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I usually try a restaurant and just normal amounts of like or don't like it. Even if I really like it, I might go back later... a year later. There are just so many other good places to try. Very occasionally I find one I'm obsessed with and can't wait to go back. We've been here twice in about the last 2 months and are looking to go back again soon.

Qf9vayMuuF9xTUsyxFOJvLAnWaFmuX5yzwK6gjrGfKy9wNeTLLpxbbwI7gnO25yhfxcTEnFONojJwavm_aZj07UfGVGULsEL7aBrXPpjRk4JWZYkFIpJf5tPo-fe9Cxo4n_604hRCpvyNB_XazFS7Lmd2d0XHuN3URcEhf4eqbY2omF9mqk2giiQQqGWO-ztiJcX8siofepOlGhagWzSPoGzk-PwPua2Hqa0cqQQ_Os5kBwWkG8uBKzILUep5484d9FVv7vKympKEw0Ywe3XjzkzTBRik68-WvMgNafIVEgwfGn6RXdFTpTgv5Nh1Bka9fKdIVM66B-HQhf-A8_PobGxgip6FFqtEZ6DFm-wn3SK-iG70PBaE6rc62-8zdYivZ2R1hNwUJP4uWJZumxCYj-jGOWk3EF37CchSyvq-PvZDk4lhObjj0GRi7eE4eU7Om9MlbkOahQMp01nMlB9Y1cIotYVjJefNWhnrmSmWncZbClF2swDOmWBWwF_9zN8KNpnJFku5AdSsYh44OlgmXiIEqzEI3AbYKa1XAzJIliW-_tkHVWLdtNjgL38Dr8Ut3dmML2GJuCWlmOFgKytJ9WUOW1D0Zni8lq1OvYhAd2Wrz4-zquNCroZsb_C2bqMdB-M64KS1Q9RzbAVd3rc3w9POfb5X7s3TxyHrxiYwF-nh1sppbVhgna1uD8T3hOkK21u7R892BB6uMizQA=w1360-h469-no

Left to right 4 main dishes there: Mushroom on polenta, Lamb Biryani, Beef short rib w/curry, Salmon on (millet) khichdi.

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I usually try a restaurant and just normal amounts of like or don't like it. Even if I really like it, I might go back later... a year later. There are just so many other good places to try. Very occasionally I find one I'm obsessed with and can't wait to go back. We've been here twice in about the last 2 months and are looking to go back again soon.

Qf9vayMuuF9xTUsyxFOJvLAnWaFmuX5yzwK6gjrGfKy9wNeTLLpxbbwI7gnO25yhfxcTEnFONojJwavm_aZj07UfGVGULsEL7aBrXPpjRk4JWZYkFIpJf5tPo-fe9Cxo4n_604hRCpvyNB_XazFS7Lmd2d0XHuN3URcEhf4eqbY2omF9mqk2giiQQqGWO-ztiJcX8siofepOlGhagWzSPoGzk-PwPua2Hqa0cqQQ_Os5kBwWkG8uBKzILUep5484d9FVv7vKympKEw0Ywe3XjzkzTBRik68-WvMgNafIVEgwfGn6RXdFTpTgv5Nh1Bka9fKdIVM66B-HQhf-A8_PobGxgip6FFqtEZ6DFm-wn3SK-iG70PBaE6rc62-8zdYivZ2R1hNwUJP4uWJZumxCYj-jGOWk3EF37CchSyvq-PvZDk4lhObjj0GRi7eE4eU7Om9MlbkOahQMp01nMlB9Y1cIotYVjJefNWhnrmSmWncZbClF2swDOmWBWwF_9zN8KNpnJFku5AdSsYh44OlgmXiIEqzEI3AbYKa1XAzJIliW-_tkHVWLdtNjgL38Dr8Ut3dmML2GJuCWlmOFgKytJ9WUOW1D0Zni8lq1OvYhAd2Wrz4-zquNCroZsb_C2bqMdB-M64KS1Q9RzbAVd3rc3w9POfb5X7s3TxyHrxiYwF-nh1sppbVhgna1uD8T3hOkK21u7R892BB6uMizQA=w1360-h469-no
Is that chicken and pork chops or is it a convincing vegetarian selection? It all looks very wholesome.

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Being Indian they have some good vegetarian stuff, but most of that had some meat in it. Updated above with what the dishes are.
I've never had Indo food without meat. There was always a chicken leg or something in it. Yummy stuFF for sure. :D I've tried a bunch of the after dinner sweets and found they where pretty tame compared to something like a Nanaimo Bar or pecan pie etc etc.

Trouble Maker

I've never had Indo food without meat. There was always a chicken leg or something in it.
I could entirely be misunderstanding the (Indian) food culture. And the reason they have some vegetarian/vegan options is just due to hipster (modern/progressive?) restaurant in hipster area in this town. There many great progressive and 'international' (I kind of hate the term ethnic here, but it's what most use) food here. :D

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I could entirely be misunderstanding the (Indian) food culture. And the reason they have some vegetarian/vegan options is just due to hipster (modern/progressive?) restaurant in hipster area in this town. There many great progressive and 'international' (I kind of hate the term ethnic here, but it's what most use) food here. :D
I had a Sikh friend and he was a staunch vegetarian. Nothing fleshy as he referred to it as. Then I was friends with a Indo Bhangra band and they all ate meat. I think it's hit and miss as far as who is and isn't vegetarian in the old country. The term ethnic is OK here. :DNo issues with that yet. :facepalm:

Katji

Major Contributor
Sikhs not particularly inclined to vegetarian. And the other side of the "cow belt" region is not either.
However, there is langar - big food at the temples, is vegetarian like any Hindu temple and any wedding, and if there is much of a Sikh community around, you'll find that when there is some natural disaster situation, they will be the first to provide food. (Like truck drivers stuck for days at the Channel crossing in UK a year or so ago.)
[ Edit: found. Will put in separate post. ]

1638806484366.png

Find a Gujurati restaurant/takeaway and it'll be vegetarian.

"PURE VEG" means no onion or garlic.

One striking thing about India (...well, maybe not striking compared to other things, I suppose) is that restaurants/food places that do meat have big NON-VEG on the sign outside, some say PURE VEG, but you can almost assume that it's vegetarian unless it says NON-VEG. Or, like many, it says CHINESE and EUROPEAN; that means non-veg.

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
you'll find that when there is some natural disaster situation, they will be the first to provide food. (Like truck drivers stuck for days at the Channel crossing in UK a year or so ago.)
Yes, they did that in Nov 2021 in British Columbia with the recent floods isolating people. The roads where washed out so they cooked the food and flew it in by helicopter until a road could be opened when they started trucking the food to people in need.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I traveled to India twice on business and it's the one cuisine I could eat vegetarian. Fantastic curries. But I also love non-veg.

I've been trying to find some good Indian curries (masala, vindaloo, rogan josh and korma) on YouTube.

I've recently gotten hooked on Sam the Cooking Guy. I'll be cooking this next weekend:

I haven't had a good Chili Colorado since I left California 11-1/2 years ago.

Martin

Katji

Major Contributor
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...s-lorry-drivers-kent-sikh-meals-b1778160.html

Sikh community cooks hundreds of meals for stuck lorry drivers​

sikh%20feeding%20drivers.JPG

Members of the Sikh community in Kent have delivered hundreds of hot meals to lorry drivers stranded in Dover waiting to cross the English Channel.
Thousands of truckers have been stuck at the port since France closed its border on Sunday in response to the discovery of a new variant of Covid-19 spreading across the UK.
Some drivers have slept in their trucks for at least two nights as they were forced to queue for miles along the M20.

Ravinder Singh, the founder and chief executive of Khalsa Aid, an international NGO providing humanitarian aid globally, said he decided to take action after watching a distressed driver on the news say he had little food in his cab to sustain him.

Manpreet Singh Dhaliwal, the president of the gurdwara, said a team of volunteers came together with Khalsa Aid to produce 800 meals of pasta and curry and rice in two-and-a-hours on Tuesday.
They were working to deliver a further 1,000 meals on Wednesday.

Getting a team together to produce enormous volumes of food was relatively straightforward, Mr Singh Dhaliwal said, because the temple had already provided more than 60,000 hot meals to vulnerable people and NHS staff in the local community over the course of the pandemic.

He explained how feeding those in need is a key part of Sikhism.
“An important concept in Sikhism is langar, the free communal kitchen, in the gurdwara,” Mr Singh Dhaliwal told The Independent.

“Anybody needing a free meal is more than welcome to come to the gurdwara on any day and will be given a meal.
“Providing meals to those lorry drivers stranded in cold, wet weather is just doing our part to help those in need. It was a wonderful opportunity for us to uplift those drivers and a hot meal is the perfect way of doing that.”

Katji

Major Contributor
I traveled to India twice on business and it's the one cuisine I could eat vegetarian. Fantastic curries. But I also love non-veg.

I've been trying to find some good Indian curries (masala, vindaloo, rogan josh and korma) on YouTube.

I've recently gotten hooked on Sam the Cooking Guy. I'll be cooking this next weekend:
[...]
I haven't had a good Chili Colorado since I left California 11-1/2 years ago.
Co-worker friend went to India a few years ago, to the POS software company whose software we were using...Instead of domestic flight from Mumbai to Bangalore, he said he'd always wanted to ride along that coast, so he arranged a rental bike... One of the things he said when he was back was "Their veg food is better than our meat food!" That was from many food at dhabas along the way. (Roadside food places, shack-like + shadecloth places but nowadays, with new national highways, toll roads, there are big "Western-style" places.)

Katji

Major Contributor

Good luck. There are thousands. :)

Masala actually means mix/mixture - iow, curry powder, the English term. So you get fish masala and so on - blend of spices suited to whatever food.
The famous thing at the old Indian market here in Durban is the "MOTHER-IN-LAWS TONGUE" masala :) ...in countless tourist photos.

Part of the spices shelves at my local supermarket...

1638810019874.png

Last edited:

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Co-worker friend went to India a few years ago, to the POS software company whose software we were using...Instead of domestic flight from Mumbai to Bangalore, he said he'd always wanted to ride along that coast, so he arranged a rental bike... One of the things he said when he was back was "Their veg food is better than our meat food!" That was from many food at dhabas along the way. (Roadside food places, shack-like + shadecloth places but nowadays, with new national highways, toll roads, there are big "Western-style" places.)

I made good friends with several of my Indian coworkers while visiting Mumbai and Pune. On one trip I carpooled with one from Mumbai to Pune instead of flying. That was an interesting drive. When going out to eat I would get my friends to take me to restaurants they would go to with their families. They weren't roadside stands but they also weren't the restaurants westerners frequented. I'd love to go back someday and travel on my own.

Martin

TLEDDY

Forum Donor
What brine do you use for pork chops? And yes, they sure dry out easy.
Try Heirloom pork with marbling instead of grocery store pork. There are streaks of fat marble that make it very juicy…yum!

TLEDDY

Forum Donor
When dining out in strange places does does the thought of fecal matter, matter?
Yes… locals acclimate to the flora; we get the Tijuana Two-step*!

*Or other ethnic equivalent:oops::oops:

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am not vegetarian but I enjoy vegetarian food. Some Asian cultures do vegetarian food really well, much better than European food traditions in my experience. I am fortunate to be living and working in Singapore which is one of the world's great foodie centres. The food here is superb, it's a bit of a mixing pot with several cultures brought together ( Chinese, Malay, Indonesian, Indian especially) as well as the usual International options. And if you eat in food courts and hawker centres standards are very high and prices cheap

Top Bottom