• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Douk VU2 Review (VU Meter/Input Selector)

brikabrak

Thank you as well. Your pictures of the internals were helpful in determining what replacement meters to buy.

Those above are a direct replacement but are a bit thicker due to the led panel backlight. So some slight tinkering is needed with the existing standoffs. Also, before you remove the old meters, be sure to turn the brightness potentiometers on the board to the lowest level to get in range of what the new LEDs need.

A night shot, actual shade of blue is more like that in the desk reflection.

fu6JYPD.jpg

Hayabusa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thank you as well. Your pictures of the internals were helpful in determining what replacement meters to buy.

Those above are a direct replacement but are a bit thicker due to the led panel backlight. So some slight tinkering is needed with the existing standoffs. Also, before you remove the old meters, be sure to turn the brightness potentiometers on the board to the lowest level to get in range of what the new LEDs need.

A night shot, actual shade of blue is more like that in the desk reflection.

fu6JYPD.jpg

It looks like the dB indication is not matching power indication?
every 10 dB is a factor 10 in power.
then it should be:
0dB 250w
-10dB 25w
-20dB 2.5w
-30dB 0.25w
-40dB 25mw
-50dB 2.5mw

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I purchased one of these to scratch my meter itch and immediately changed out the meters for blue. ($20 from Aliexpress) Using it in Mic input mode so it's not in the signal path at all, and for my purposes (desktop bling) it works outstandingly.

Don't you just love well balanced products where the level pots line up? ;)

1638783607746.png

Bru87tr

I purchased one of these to scratch my meter itch and immediately changed out the meters for blue. ($20 from Aliexpress) Using it in Mic input mode so it's not in the signal path at all, and for my purposes (desktop bling) it works outstandingly.

I just split my signal.

brikabrak

I just split my signal.
I'm could be wrong, but I think Amirm's review mentioned that using a splitter could still induce distortion into the signal via backfeed.

"So not only can't you use this as a switcher, but you can't use a wired connection to sample your audio as that distorts that source. Maybe you have a buffered output in your pre-amp or something but if you don't, watch out."

Using the built in mic to sample works really well though with no potential for downside. The mic seems sensitive enough to pick up detail even with low volume.

Last edited:

brikabrak

It looks like the dB indication is not matching power indication?
every 10 dB is a factor 10 in power.
then it should be:
0dB 250w
-10dB 25w
-20dB 2.5w
-30dB 0.25w
-40dB 25mw
-50dB 2.5mw

You mean these numbers are supposed to actually mean something ? ;). I just like the blue color and watching the needles move to music, which I'm guessing is the majority use case AND it's cheaper than a McClock ($1800)

layer_1_8.jpg

Last edited:

Hayabusa

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
You mean these numbers are supposed to actually mean something ? ;). I just like the blue color and watching the needles move to music, which I'm guessing is the majority use case AND it's cheaper than a McClock ($1800)
It does look really cool and looks like a fun project.
On the other hand, I already have too many led's and whatnots lighting up my listening room at night.
I don't even want to count the number of these little spotlights I have on my gear.
I prefer it to be as dark as possible when I'm tuned into my rig. ;)

Music1969

Major Contributor
Using it in Mic input mode so it's not in the signal path at all, and for my purposes (desktop bling) it works outstandingly.

Hi, is the Mic input an actual microphone built into the unit, that just listens?

Where about is the microphone on the unit?

Thanks !

Top Bottom