• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping PA5 Review (Amplifier)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Maybe a year ago this product would have been priced less than $300 but today, there is incredible pressure as far part costs, shipping, etc. And this product is sold through dealers which requires margin for them. So don't compare it to direct sellers like AIYIMA and such.

Mulder

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
As I wrote before, an Apples to Apples comparable measurement would be the 19+20kHz IMD plot.
Amir does a multitone plot that addresses the same thing, but for comparison reasons the two tone would be a good complement as that has atleast historically been more used.
But isn’t the issue here IMD that might trickle down from above 20 khz? Isn’t the lowpass filter filtering any IMD away, i.e. it wont show up because of he filter? Musn’t the 19+20 khz be measured without a filter if any IMD is to be detected?

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
But isn’t the issue here IMD that might trickle down from above 20 khz? Isn’t the lowpass filter filtering any IMD away, i.e. it wont show up because of he filter? Musn’t the 19+20 khz be measured without a filter if any IMD is to be detected?
No, because the IMD is a product of the amplifier, not the measuring kit. If there is a product of IMD from >20KHz frequencies that appear within the 20KHz bandwidth then that product won't be filtered out of the measurement - even if the frequencies that create it are.

Basically the multitone test gives a realistic view of the IMD frequencies you can expect including those modulalting from out of band frequencies. (actually much worst than you can expect because real music doen't have such high level tones at the higer frequencies)

Sharpi31

Forum Donor
Few notes after getting the PA5 up and running:

The speaker binding posts are small (as you’d expect). It took quite a lot of work to get my 1.5mm2 cable into the drilled horizontal hole. Also, the depth of the 6mm plug hole appears pretty shallow. One pair of posts became a bit loose while I was trying to install cables - it feels very much like loose internal locking nuts. No complaints, but I’m going to open the amp up to tighten the nuts on the inside and have a look at other things while I’m doing it.

The amp sounds great, but my setup is a bit compromised so I can‘t make any proper judgements. I have an ADI-2 DAC that would be a great match (balanced output with plenty of voltage), but that‘s found a home beside my bed as I love the EQ/loudness/crossfeed for night time headphone listening. So right now I’m using my only other active preamp (Elekit TU-8500) connecting via my Music First Classic V2 transformer ’preamp’ (unbalanced connection from Elekit, balanced output to PA5). I‘ve pre-ordered a miniDSP Flex so that will be swapped in within a few weeks/months.

I’m sure that the PA5 is passing through the full character of my valve preamp and transformer ;)

gvl

Major Contributor
That'd be significantly worse value than paying £350 for one you needed.

I mean, I could certainly find some use for it, just not at this price. I’d rather save this money for a nice vintage Yamaha power amp that will pop up sooner or later than on my radar screen.

gvl

Major Contributor
Maybe a year ago this product would have been priced less than $300 but today, there is incredible pressure as far part costs, shipping, etc. And this product is sold through dealers which requires margin for them. So don't compare it to direct sellers like AIYIMA and such.

Maybe. Or maybe they use ASR as a platform to improve their margins, actually scratch maybe, because they do.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe. Or maybe they use ASR as a platform to improve their margins, actually scratch maybe, because they do.

By your own admission, you are "grumpy" because Topping isn't pricing the amp at a "I don't have any need for it but at this cheap of a price I will pick one up just to have around" level. I'm mystified as to why you think that's a basis for making an argument that would be taken seriously by anyone here.

pma

Major Contributor
The speaker binding posts are small (as you’d expect). It took quite a lot of work to get my 1.5mm2 cable into the drilled horizontal hole.
That’s a problem of these too small amplifier toys.

Bruce Morgen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
That’s a problem of these too small amplifier toys.

It's only "a problem" for certain folks with certain bits of "kit" that they already own. Use appropriately-dimensioned cables and connectors and that "problem" disappears. That said, there's no excuse for a loosely mounted binding post even in a sub-$100USD product, let alone one that costs 3.5x as much.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
What? How on earth could they accomplish that?

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How would ASR improve their margins? Perhaps ASR can be used to improve their product and increase their visibility and sales, but increase their margins?

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's only "a problem" for certain folks with certain bits of "kit" that they already own. Use appropriately-dimensioned cables and connectors and that "problem" disappears. That said, there's no excuse for a loosely mounted binding post even in a sub-$100USD product, let alone one that costs 3.5x as much.
I’ve had to open $1500 amplifiers to tighten the internal speaker post mounting nuts. It’s a common point of failure. Not even failure, really—it’s almost just maintenance.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

gvl

Major Contributor
What? How on earth could they accomplish that?

Your positive reviews increase demand. Topping knew the PA5 was going to score well here and generate buzz, it would be silly off them to not capitalize on that knowledge, and clearly this is reflected in the price. I don’t mean it to come across as a negative, but I feel there’s some truth to it.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Your positive reviews increase demand. Topping knew the PA5 was going to score well here and generate buzz, it would be silly off them to not capitalize on that knowledge, and clearly this is reflected in the price. I don’t mean it to come across as a negative, but I feel there’s some truth to it.

Maybe.

I also believe John's design can be sold at a premium with a greater GP. Until someone else catches up or copies it, they can make good money out of the product. And right now, if people want the best in a desktop amplifier- that is the one to buy.

Top Bottom