• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping PA5 Review (Amplifier)

DanielT

Major Contributor
Flat response is to 40 kHz. Actual bandwidth is over 200 khz.
Superb. Thanks for the reply Amir.:)
It seems to be a really competent machine.

PA5 feels like a game changer. I'm waiting, like others (I have read this thread), for Topping to come out with someone similarly good but with preferably twice as much effect.:D

However, this one with fairly sensitive speakers (depends on the type of music and how loud you listen), smaller rooms. Secondary system, summer cottage (easy to take with you). Hmm. Just the imagination that sets the limits .Very interesting!:)

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In the link you posted you gave part of the answer where the PA5 is measured at 5W 8 Ohm with both 20 and 80kHz BW. But measuring A switcher at 80kHz is going to make it look worse than it is, if at all possible to measure.
The L7 filters are 10Hz-20KHz and A-weighting, aren't they? I think the A-weighted numbers are pretty much apples to apples. If not, maybe Amir has the measurements to do good apples to apples noise comparison. I think he measured the AHB2 with the AUX040 filter somewhere along the line.

DS23MAN

For bandwidth I thought defined by the A-weighting. Would there be more to it?

On the disadvantage, that's what I am wondering. I don't think it's wide open but still not apples to apples. 20Hz-20KHz bandwidth on the one case, and 20Hz-20KHz plus AUX040 on the other, if I understand correctly.
Actually the Class D amp is not in favour with the brick wall filter because it also adds distortion:

1ap.PNG

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Actually the Class D amp is not in favour with the brick wall filter because it also adds distortion:

It's funny isn't it. The filter adds distortion, but you can't measure distortion without the filter. Poor Class Ds.

Calleberg

View attachment 170312

Those are not as brickwall as an AES17 would be(-60dB@24kHz), so I would avoid calling them that to avoid confusion. Anyhow, since the PA5 measures -60-65 THD+N at 15kHz those filters are going to help a lot more than they hurt.

Last edited:

Calleberg

The L7 filters are 10Hz-20KHz and A-weighting, aren't they? I think the A-weighted numbers are pretty much apples to apples. If not, maybe Amir has the measurements to do good apples to apples noise comparison. I think he measured the AHB2 with the AUX040 filter somewhere along the line.
Why do you think they are A weighted? I think the 20kHz BW measurement is with the AES17 filter, because that's what it says in the pictures where the settings are visible.

daniboun

Major Contributor

jangpol

No,
They made a composite amp like this, replace the Lm3886 for the TPA.
Well, it still is an external feedback loop. Anyway, it's nice to see what can be achieved with a TPA3251 and additional loop. It's funny though that Topping brushed the amp chip and hid the loop under D-01 hood.

Mulder

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I wonder, with class D, isn’t there a risk the filter also removes IMD from higer frequenses which trickle down into the lower audible frequencies

maty

Major Contributor
Thanks a lot.
I read in Amir’s review that the sensitivity of the Kef LS50 Meta is 93db instead of the 95db stated in the specs.

Will the Topping PA5 the still be sufficient to reach the 96db (the level at which the Kef’s start to distort)?

Double checking as Amir writes that the Kef LS50 Meta’s need a beefy amplifier to drive them.

96db would by the way be sufficient for my listening purposes (mainly background in kitchen).

Thanks for your help!

maty

Major Contributor
Now with true 83 dB (KEF LS50 Meta, measured by Amir). 4 Ohms.

You know, I want 95 dBSPL peak at 3 meters.

KEF-LS50-Meta-power.png

MarkWinston

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Screw it, its only 350, (i can get of for 335), one of the best we've got and I will grab one to compare it to my DA-9. Its ugly as sin though but I dont care. Its 350 and not 3500, stop being cheap or just get a damn A07 and play marbles in a corner.

maty

Major Contributor
4 meters -> 94 dB SPL

4.5 meters -> 92.9 dB SPL

Loudspeakers with only 5.25" coaxial driver or woofer driver (without subwoofer) are for distances up to 3 meters if you listen to good recordings.

Last edited:

douede

...Stick this amp in a 15lb CNC chassis and have an internal PSU with IEC inlet and it will sell for $2000.
And then it would be usual Hifi business, targeting the max price some people would accept to pay for its mesures/power/sound ratio.
When the Chinese and India Hifi market blessing disruption is to make us pay only for the parts+engineering (moderated), not for the maximum possible "Hifi" market price...
The fact is that this amp is at least 100$ too expensive for a Chinese Class-D mono TPA chip & PSU based amp, even if optimized.
Soundwise, will it not be soon outperformed by some Merus based amp with optimized technical implementation ?.

Last edited:

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I wonder, with class D, isn’t there a risk the filter also removes IMD from higer frequenses which trickle down into the lower audible frequencies

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom