• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why The "Best" Monitors Aren't Always The Best For Music Production

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
"Stereophile reviewer Herb Reichert in his natural habitat. Shot in Brooklyn, NY in February, 2017."

fas42

Major Contributor
Impressive! This is right on the mark ... when a system hits its straps, not just the speaker, you hear absolutely everything that's there - which can be fabulous when the rig is totally on top of it. The downside is that lesser setups are completely incapable of reproducing what's there with integrity - and you hear a congealed mess. My go to for this would be the Moulin Rouge soundtrack album - I only became aware of this gem because friends of ours brought it around to listen on our gear; because it sounded 'orrible on their hifi ...

A.wayne

I thought this was both very interesting (and maps reasonably well to my personal experience), as well as highlighting the huge impact the producing engineer has on the sound and how gear choice affects artistic decisions:

A good speaker will work in both environments , cant account for taste , preference and bias's thou ....

Regards

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
A good speaker will work in both environments , cant account for taste , preference and bias's thou ....

Regards

If it were that simple, mix and mastering engineers wouldn't need to use multiple speakers to account for the variety of playback scenarios.

A.wayne

If it were that simple, mix and mastering engineers wouldn't need to use multiple speakers to account for the variety of playback scenarios.

I have worked in that field before , it's almost that simple , whats not simple is taste and Biases, most engineers will choose the tools that works best for them and most times its not always what most would agree sounds good..

Since the mastering engineer has to be comfortable with his tools and what he hears from them, this all changes when they get consistent hits while using model X monitor, when this happens you're on back order until some other dynamics changes that ..

IMO, a good monitor will work in both environments , unfortunately most of those shown and discuss are not always capable ..

Regards

Last edited:
Top Bottom