• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Uptone refusing to sell me ISO Regen!!!

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Does the device provide galvanic isolation? Not sure what isolation of the data lines would do for sound (should be nothing)...

If the original did nothing but add a little distortion, the new one should add... Better distortion? :)

Isolation could be good, but I do not know how other DACs deal with that and if it is a problem for them.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I have only found clear issues with isolation in Schiit DACs. So I had planned to test it with that. I consider that DAC to have a broken design so no, I don't expect any respected high-end DAC to need such isolation.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
I was referring to Harman Kardon products, Mark Levinson, Revel, ...
It's nothing important, really, just a small observation.

Your reporting is among the best; your pictures are clear, quality, you put few words, you share what you remember, and the best part to me is that you include the music selections for each room. You give us ♫ samples from youtube. All of it contributes to bring us closer in being there without our physical bodies being present.
The highest honor of the best audio writers, books, films, music, is the use of pictures and sounds to be the perfect word's companions. IMO

...And honesty, without any bias, prejudice; totally uninhibited, free.

I said before how much I appreciate your great work in reporting @ audio shows, with quality pictures you take. Keep it up; we all very appreciate it.
I have zero suggestion; it's all beautifully done what you do.

* I hope you have a chance to measure the ISO REGEN from UpTone; it is always a good support to have measurements with our listening audio/music sessions.
The more info we have on the products we buy and use, the better. I don't say this to you, I say this to myself and to whoever is reading correctly.
______

EDIT: "As it happens, right around the corner from lobby registration area was a massive suite for Harman and one for Sony. So no, I did not bias this because of my personal bias toward Harman products. :)"

I see now. I didn't read this ↑ text before. You can forget my simple observation; that totally eclipses it.

View attachment 7052

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
AJ is asking some good questions. His ban there is now imminent.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
AJ is asking some good questions. His ban there is now imminent.
Yeh, it won't take long.

FYI, I went there to correct what they were saying about my measurements of Sonore microRendu last yet but after just a day or two, they not only banned me on CA, they deleted all of my posts too!

upload_2017-6-6_8-57-56.png

Looks like they changed the reason as it used to say "you are a dealer and carry competitive products" or something to that effect. Now they come and complain that my testing methodology is not right. Well, I would be happy to go there and explain to them why it is right. But obviously they are not interested.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Think of it as a badge of honour, unless you are one of Chris' little sycophants...
Keith

Fitzcaraldo215

Major Contributor
Yeh, it won't take long.

FYI, I went there to correct what they were saying about my measurements of Sonore microRendu last yet but after just a day or two, they not only banned me on CA, they deleted all of my posts too!

View attachment 7399

Looks like they changed the reason as it used to say "you are a dealer and carry competitive products" or something to that effect. Now they come and complain that my testing methodology is not right. Well, I would be happy to go there and explain to them why it is right. But obviously they are not interested.
It is just as well you did not go there, believe me, unless you wished to start WWIII. I think you would have found it a huge time waster, convincing no one in this tribal warfare where loyalties to certain beliefs matter more than logic and reason.

Besides, Chris's server budget would have been totally blown by the ensuing torrent of posts.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Yeh, it won't take long.

View attachment 7399

I'm starting to understand why you had to start your own forum now...:D

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Your just a bad man----------
Can't allow your level of expertise to contaminate their believers code and financial agenda.

I'm very surprised I haven't been banned. I completely avoid being drug into the name calling mud slinging that goes on all the time but I don't pull any punches on the topics either. My day will come I'm sure. ;)

Last edited:

Fitzcaraldo215

Major Contributor
I do not know if there is a real difference, but my seat the pants in the infamous tidal wave thread at CA seems somewhat different about the ISO Regen than it was about the original Regen.

Then, Regen was a monstrous love-in and nobody had anything bad to say about the concept or the reality. Seldom was heard a discouraging word and the skies were not cloudy all day. Really, nobody dared even question it at CA.

But, now, with ISO Regen, it may only be a dozen or two rabble rousers, like Sal and I and a few others, but there seems significant questioning and cynicism about the concept, the need for it, the lack of measurements, etc.

ISO is about double the price, so it is a bit more of a consideration for many purchasers and loyalists. Still, there may be a ray of hope here.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I do not know if there is a real difference, but my seat the pants in the infamous tidal wave thread at CA seems somewhat different about the ISO Regen than it was about the original Regen.

Then, Regen was a monstrous love-in and nobody had anything bad to say about the concept or the reality. Seldom was heard a discouraging word and the skies were not cloudy all day. Really, nobody dared even question it at CA.

But, now, with ISO Regen, it may only be a dozen or two rabble rousers, like Sal and I and a few others, but there seems significant questioning and cynicism about the concept, the need for it, the lack of measurements, etc.

ISO is about double the price, so it is a bit more of a consideration for many purchasers and loyalists. Still, there may be a ray of hope here.
Possible that some of the owners, though hesitant in the past to admit publicly they didn't really hear all the promised improvements, are now taking a step back,? "We Won't Get Phooled Again!"

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Even the original Regen wasn't loved by all. It was not uncommon to see them listed for sale. Such was the clamor for them in those days, they moved quickly as there was a waiting list. Obviously these sellers thought they did little good. In time a few of them would mention such, but it would all be covered over by ten with glowing testimonials. So those people stopped bothering to say anything.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
100% guaranteed galvanic isolation. :p
Optical Digital Audio Cable: Mitsubishi Eska POF