• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tesla Model 3 Gets Good Reivew

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/auto/2018-tesla-model-3-review/

Pricing and performance
Tesla's Model 3 will start at $35,000. That's before federal or state incentives, which could subtract thousands more from the price of the car. Its formal range is 220 miles, but those wanting more can step up to the Long Range edition. That adds $9,000 to the price and 90 miles to the tank, meaning you're starting at $44,000 if you want to go 310 miles on a charge.

Elon Musk had originally said there would be few configurations of the Model 3 available initially, and indeed there are, with only the Long Range car available at launch. Buyers will have a choice of six colors -- black is standard, but there are two silvers, a blue, a red and a white if you're willing to spend $1,000 more. You can then spend an extra $1,500 for 19-inch wheels and pay a further $5,000 for the Premium Upgrades package, which includes power-adjustable and heated seats, a better sound system, LED lighting and a tinted glass roof -- which you're probably going to want if you plan to drive anywhere the sun rises.

But you're not done yet. Tesla's Autopilot, which allows for advanced driver assistance on the highway and well-marked back roads, will set you back $5,000. If you want to roll the dice and add the extra sensors to enable future full autonomy when Tesla finishes developing it, that'll be another $3,000.

All told, if you tick all the boxes you come in at $59,500. That's about $10,000 cheaper than the most affordable Model S that is currently available, the 249-mile Model S 75. I'd still call that a very good deal for what you get, though not quite the value proposition of that $35,000 starter edition.

The Model 3 will accelerate to 60 miles per hour in 5.6 seconds by default and whirr its way up to a top speed of 130 mph. If you opt for the Long Range edition, however, that drops to 5.1 seconds with the top speed rising modestly to 140 mph. Compare that to a top-shelf Model S P100D's 2.4-second 0 to 60 time and it may sound slow, but 5.1 seconds is more than respectable and, since this is an EV, the immediate pedal response means it feels much quicker.

[...]

Only time will tell on reliability of the car, and there will be some inevitable teething issues, but overall I'm impressed with what I've seen and felt. This is an EV that drives as good as it looks and is competitively priced. We've come to expect the first two things from Tesla cars of the past. It's good to finally add that third part to the equation.

iridium

Addicted to Fun and Learning

JoeWhip

I have the 75D. When considering long range driving, you really need to factor in the availability of the Tesla Superchargers. I can fully charge my car in about 25 minutes. Can't do that with a Bolt. Furthermore, the Tesla Supercharger is free. Have an all wheel drive 3 on order. Hope to have one by 2019.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I have the 75D. When considering long range driving, you really need to factor in the availability of the Tesla Superchargers. I can fully charge my car in about 25 minutes. Can't do that with a Bolt. Furthermore, the Tesla Supercharger is free. Have an all wheel drive 3 on order. Hope to have one by 2019.
Good points but I thought I heard supercharge is no longer free for new owners.

JoeWhip

It is free for the S and X's delivered prior to April of this year. Those delivered after that have credits up to what works out to be about 1000 miles of total charging, which is reset each year. After that, there is a very small fee to charge. The Model 3 will not have that credit program. Not sure what the cost to charge will be for a 3 as we have gave never encountered a fee to charge the S.

Last edited:

JoeWhip

By the way, our 75D does 0 to 60 in 4.2 seconds. It is incredibly quick. 2.6 seconds is insane and frankly, will never be used by a driver other than to freak out some buddies while showing off.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The thing about Tesla is the software.. I am not dismissing how the car runs, is smooth beyond belief, handles well, corners well accelerates like a rocket and is just fun to drive... No! The software seems to to be geared toward the driver. Driving to work , for fun or running errands it 's there at your disposal, making sense and being good at it. The list of Luxury /Sci-Fi features is long and many features are unique.
The Tela software and how it integrates with the car is what makes the experience so extraordinary. The beauty of this is very similar to what one gets with a properly designed software. You just use it, it becomes second nature .. a "what didn't the other thought about this" thing that you quickly forget so smooth and "natural" the feature is... That seems to be what many are missing...
.. There are other electric cars.. The Chevy Volt being one of these.. The experience from a Volt simply can't compare nor would any hybrid experience I am aware of, having experienced ; Prius, Hyundai, Ford and even Mercedes hybrid...These are mere cars some of these very good cars.. Tesla is a different experience.
Willget mine in about a year or so :(

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
what's the charge time?

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area

Mivera

Major Contributor
Don't forget it took thinking "inside the box" and following the "status quo" to achieve this.

JoeWhip

25 to 35 minutes on a supercharger. At home, with a 240 line, we get 30 miles of charge per hour. We can fully charge the car overnight.

Don Hills

Mivera

Major Contributor
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I think it's a appropriate company car for a moderator on a 'science ' forum .. @amirm ??
I use my car mostly as a truck to hall things back and forth. My large SUV (Land Rover LR4) suites me very well. So even though I love the ride in the Tesla, it just isn't the car for me.

I do have a Quad that I have converted to Lithium so I get a taste of it every time I drive up to the garden and back :). Such a pleasure to not have a small engine klug up, need oil changes, etc.

Don Hills

Seems like a reliable source. The lack of advertising adds immensely to the credibility.

If some of the words in the article are too big for you, here it is in pictures:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Somehow, I'm not tempted to trade in my '95 Maxima quite yet. I got 535 miles on a tank, once, and didn't have to pay extra for the privilege.

It does need a new radio, though. Only one speaker still working reliably.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That the Tesla X (or any model) can be hacked is a serious concern but we're living in a world where everything is controlled by computers from our foods to our electrical system .. our roads, our rivers, our purchasing our lives. We are unto uncharted territory and there will be bad people... just like there were bandits chasing the wagons in the far west or pirates in the High seas. Controlling them will be key to our survival as a society. We have done that in the past and will likely do it in this present/future.
So yes I worry about this and am concerned but this is not a deal breaker for me. it can /will happen to many other cars and devices.

Top Bottom