• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sony Returns To Making Vinyl Records After 28-Year Break

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
Record scratch: Sony is making vinyl once again
Click on ↑
It's all over the news, in all the analog forums of the Internet! Vinyl Forever, CD is dead!

When/where there's money there's hope...the housing market is in good shape, people stay home more, computers are selling, turntables are resurging, people are living the analog dream.

Me I think it's great; what do YOU think? Don't be shy, tell it the way you see/hear/read it.

Happy Long Weekend; Canada's 150th and USA's 4th. Do it with sparkles, all the works.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I don't have a modern turntable nor phono preamp, and only bought about 10 LPs in my whole life.

There are 50 or more in the garage, Dad's LPs. All of which I listened to repeatedly as a child.

I think it is fine the analog people will have more new choices. There's nothing wrong with it, and, I can certainly say I enjoyed it myself in the past.

Occasionally I hear digitized LP on the HDRadio. It is distinguishable by its additional noises in the quiet sections (classical stations).

Many YouTube presentations are digitized vinyl. I've downloaded a few of those otherwise often unobtainable tracks.

I don't see myself changing course from what I do now just because Sony sees the chance to resurrect an old profit center, though.

It is equally unlikely to affect my only Audio Buddy either, so...

tomelex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Wonder how long before they bail out, but the Japanese make some great pure, heavy weight quality vinyl though.

OP
NorthSky

NorthSky

Major Contributor
That's the thing; Japan makes great quality music recordings. ...LPs, CDs and SACDs too, and Crystal discs.
These are good times to be into vinyl. They were always good times since the 78s, but now it's getting better and better with time.
The statistics don't lie, they tell what people like...which music medium best.

I feel some real good vibes about this. ...Love vibes.

OP
NorthSky

NorthSky

Major Contributor
It's a good time to live in Japan, with their music and culture.
Ready? http://www.euronews.com/2017/07/02/...of-japanese-men-are-turning-to-rubber-romance
____

On a more humorous note:

"It should be a glorious moment for all — proof that capitalism sometimes can yield positive results that honor the nostalgic feelings of the public and bring back a beloved, inarguably superior medium that simply didn’t fit into the corporate interests of the past.

Look, vinyl records are beautiful, necessary things. They represent the pinnacle of the available listening medium despite being a technology that’s exactly 140 years old. That’s impressive in of itself. It’s also an indication of how much work has to be done in compression in the digital world."

• The Darker Side of the Moon: http://www.salon.com/2017/07/02/sony-is-making-vinyl-records-again-and-im-so-very-very-tired/

Last edited:

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Not to worry digital-files can always buy one of those little record players that convert to digital. When it's not in use you can store it in the closet with the other remnants of the analog era.

Nightlord

I don't have a modern turntable nor phono preamp, and only bought about 10 LPs in my whole life.

There are 50 or more in the garage, Dad's LPs. All of which I listened to repeatedly as a child.

Besides my Dad still having his in the same place they've always been, that could have been my post...

I did go and get myself a used turntable a very short while ago... Because there are too many records coming out that has a, not on all parameters but definitely on the compression one, better mastering than CD. Not interested in going all geeky on it, so I went for an oddity instead which can make it a fun thing to have around - the NAD with the flat circuitboard-material tonearm. I'm still allergic to pops and such, but I'm more allergic to overdone master compression. (Compression should be done on each instrument by itself if wanted by the artist on musical terms. Compressing the entire mix is pure evil....)

I'd rather see better CD masters, but I now can opt for the vinyl - if only to sample it at first playback. (Not done that yet, but might if that's the only option going forwards (in time)).

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
On a more serious note-will Sony press vinyl from analog or digital files?
I don't think the pressing plant cares. I think a lot of this is created by demand for modern artists who think it would be cool to have LPs and require the label to produce them. Those will of course be produced in digital. Older titles in Japanese, I am sure some are in analog.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A few years ago SONY was an innovative and forward thinking company , to get some relevance .. It bolts to the past..

How the mighty have fallen :(

I inherited a bunch of Vinyl ... I decided to go High End on LP.. I bought a "serious" table (technics SP-10 MKII) got a serious plinth and a serious arm, serious cartridge and serious Phono preamp.. Started playing a few records... stopped .. have not bothered to even play one LP for the past year or so .. Tidal, Spotify and Roon have seen to that ...

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I think what is ironic is that the major Japanese audio companies have waited so long to "go to the past/their roots!" High-end audio happened and they were all absent. They get killed in mass market home theater yet they remain there for the sake of being there.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I think what is ironic is that the major Japanese audio companies have waited so long to "go to the past/their roots!" High-end audio happened and they were all absent. They get killed in mass market home theater yet they remain there for the sake of being there.
They love copies of 1960's American designs..

Top Bottom