• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Some pictures from Sound galleries in BMW world

OP
Phison Audio - Sonny

Phison Audio - Sonny

Industry Expert
Technical Expert
As long as the maximum CPU temperature at all times is far below the maximum temp the CPU can handle, I think this is okay. The 6700K has a 91W TDP. So in this situation, copper may have been needed to go fanless if using a simple heatpipe heatsink design.
I am sorry but i cannot tell you what they have done as i have not looked into the chassis.

Mivera

Major Contributor
I am sorry but i cannot tell you what they have done as i have not looked into the chassis.

It's obvious they use copper heat pipes. Probably off the shelf ones designed for general purpose computer use. These are extremely inefficient compared to direct coupling with the heatsink with silver bearing thermal paste. Have you even seen a class A or AB amp that uses heat pipes rather than direct coupling to the heatsink?

Mivera

Major Contributor

Mivera

Major Contributor
It is a legend!

Well I will admit it looks much more efficient than your typical fanless PC with side mounted heatsink heatpipe implementation. (I stole Amir's photo, but I can imagine it cost him less than 10000 Euro to build his :) )

Luxman heatsink.JPG
HTPC.jpg

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Have you even seen a class A or AB amp that uses heat pipes rather than direct coupling to the heatsink?

I haven't seen a Class A/AB amp that uses a CPU for amplification.

Mivera

Major Contributor
I haven't seen a Class A/AB amp that uses a CPU for amplification.

Yes but we are talking about dissipating heat. The way amplifiers dissipate heat from the transistors is exactly the same as how you do it with a CPU. You couple them to a heatsink with either thermal paste, or a thermal pad. The more efficient the system is, the better it cools. You could make the heat pipes out of pure silver if you wanted to. Then charge $20000 for the server. But still wouldn't likely be as good as coupling a big aluminum heatsink direct to the CPU.

Mivera

Major Contributor
Good example of how the transistors are cooled by the heat sink for the NC-500:

image1 (1).JPG

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Ah, transistors... heat sinks...

16020d1335552332-innmat-hva-du-vil-krell_pic6b.jpg

16021d1335552332-innmat-hva-du-vil-h_mra_explosion.jpg

Mivera

Major Contributor
No, he was preparing a presentation and I was there from 2 to 4pm

Did you meet Lampi Lukasz and offer any tips on DAC layouts? I was thinking I can just imagine the Golden gate if it used your Mirand DAC in the DAC section.

Mivera

Major Contributor
OP
Phison Audio - Sonny

Phison Audio - Sonny

Industry Expert
Technical Expert
we have a store where we live how makes high performance machine where an i7 quad core starts at ~7000€ in a cheap Chinese tower. With active cooling.

This B to C.

If it is B to B to C things add up quickly .. But still very very expensive... As I wrote "ouch"

Mivera

Major Contributor
we have a store where we live how makes high performance machine where an i7 quad core starts at ~7000€ in a cheap Chinese tower. With active cooling.

This B to C.

If it is B to B to C things add up quickly .. But still very very expensive... As I wrote "ouch"

Well I suppose my I7 quad core fanless server machined from a solid block of aluminum will be a bargain @ $2500 then. You also save money by not needing a mouse, keyboard or monitor. Also native quad DSD output with the PD2.

OP
Phison Audio - Sonny

Phison Audio - Sonny

Industry Expert
Technical Expert
I am very curious on how you would be able to keep the price at that level. Such a chassis from one block would alone in production cost be in the area of 600 - 1200USD + development cost of the chassis.

Just that you do not set the price to low for your own sake.

Mivera

Major Contributor
I am very curious on how you would be able to keep the price at that level. Such a chassis from one block would alone in production cost be in the area of 600 - 1200USD + development cost of the chassis.

Just that you do not set the price to low for your own sake.

I'm not going to be making much money off of this at all. The original plan was to make a very attractive complete package with the PD2 for $10000. The point is to offer a better product than the competition for the price. When your the new guy in town, this is essential.

Last edited:
OP
Phison Audio - Sonny

Phison Audio - Sonny

Industry Expert
Technical Expert
Why not?? under all circumstances I will purchase your server for use in demos especially for hifi surround show this fall.

People in Scandinavia will have something that works out of the box and that does not break down. It will most likely be a good market for you.

Mivera

Major Contributor
Why not?? under all circumstances I will purchase your server for use in demos especially for hifi surround show this fall.

People in Scandinavia will have something that works out of the box and that does not break down. It will most likely be a good market for you.

This is what everyone wants. Except for computer geeks. This would be a $10000 system if sold at typical Hifi margins through a dealer network. So there's no room at all for anyone to make profit at this price point.

Top Bottom