• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Shootout between JBL M2 and Revel Salon 2

Mivera

Major Contributor
From what I hear the Salon's are better for music as they can be paired with premium electronics. The M2's are better for home theater due to their Cerwin Vega like dynamics. But the major bottleneck is the cheap electronics. This is coming from someone who owns both. Me personally haven't heard either.

Mivera

Major Contributor
Any audiophile knows you gotta have a speaker weighing a quarter ton due to the enclosure. Why do you think all those Majerco customers never sell their speakers?

My client from Seattle who owns the Salon's and M2's replaced his Magico's with the Salon's. But not sure if it was because of a blow out sale in the region or what it was.

Last edited:

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
From what I hear the Salon's are better for music as they can be paired with premium electronics. The M2's are better for home theater due to their Cerwin Vega like dynamics. But the major bottleneck is the cheap electronics. This is coming from someone who owns both. Me personally haven't heard either.
As an M2 owner who listened to both I disagree.

Mivera

Major Contributor
As an M2 owner who listened to both I disagree.

The problem is likely the caliber of gear he has before the Salon's compared with what you heard. The electronics are an important part of the equation. What were the Salons connected to? Mark Levinson?

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The problem is likely the caliber of gear he has before the Salon's compared with what you heard. The electronics are an important part of the equation. What were the Salons connected to? Mark Levinson?
Sorry but I don't play into that crap. That's audiophile talk there.

Mivera

Major Contributor
Sorry but I don't play into that crap. That's audiophile talk there.

So the Salon's are crap? I hear they measure well. In fact they are what Amir uses himself connected to those anaconda thick Audiophile cables he has.

Last edited:

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So the Salon's are crap? I hear they measure well. In fact that are what Amir uses himself connected to those anaconda thick cables he has.
Are you kidding me? No, your talk of electronics is crap. You really should take a trip to Harman like I did and maybe that will change your perspective on what really matters.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=149780.0

Mivera

Major Contributor

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So you're saying the electronics before the speakers have absolutely no influence on the end result of the complete system?
In general terms, yes. Use well designed equipment and it really doesn't matter.

Mivera

Major Contributor
In general terms, yes. Use well designed equipment and it really doesn't matter.

Well designed is pretty vague. But then again I haven't been brainwashed by Harman's marketing boot camp.

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well designed is pretty vague. But then again I haven't been brainwashed by Harman's marketing boot camp.
That's an insult. They actually do real science dude. Read their papers. If you don't believe them, read Dr. Geddes' papers.

Mivera

Major Contributor
That's an insult. They actually do real science dude. Read their papers. If you don't believe them, read Dr. Geddes' papers.

Like I said I haven't personally compared the 2. Only sharing results from someone who personally owns both. There's nothing in it for him to lie about his preference. If he liked the M2's better, that's what he would have in his 2 channel room.

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Like I said I haven't personally compared the 2. Only sharing results from someone who personally owns both. There's nothing in it for him to lie about his preference. If he liked the M2's better, that's what he would have in his 2 channel room.
The reality is that you have to look at the polar plots. Forget that subjective stuff. Look at the polar plots and understand why it matters unless you want to Eq the heck out of the response. The M2's are by far my preferred preference for the most honest reproduction.

Mivera

Major Contributor
The reality is that you have to look at the polar plots. Forget that subjective stuff. Look at the polar plots and understand why it matters unless you want to Eq the heck out of the response. The M2's are by far my preferred preference for the most honest reproduction.

This guy doesn't care about polar plots. All he cares about is what brings him the best listening pleasure. For movies he likes the explosive dynamics of the M2's. For music he prefers the sound of speakers that can be paired with premium electronics. Because to him this brings him more listening pleasure.

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This guy doesn't care about polar plots. All he cares about is what brings him the best listening pleasure. For movies he likes the explosive dynamics of the M2's. For music he prefers the sound of speakers that can be paired with premium electronics. Because to him this brings him more listening pleasure.
Good for him. enjoy.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Totally agree about the electronics but if you really want the best polar plot you need to look at the Beolab 90's!
Keith

Mivera

Major Contributor
Totally agree about the electronics but if you really want the best polar plot you need to look at the Beolab 90's!
Keith

Yes look like well designed speakers. I've yet to hear anything from Harman I've liked. But then again I haven't heard everything.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
jtwrace, please don't feed the trolls. ;)
Simpler just to put them on your ignore list than to listen to the bull schitt.

Mivera

Major Contributor
jtwrace, please don't feed the trolls. ;)
Simpler just to put them on your ignore list than to listen to the bull schitt.

So if someone has an opinion that differed with you based on experience that's trolling? I guess that makes Amir a troll as well as he chose the Salon's over the M2's as well. But maybe the Audiophile cables are what gave them the edge. Can never be too sure.

Top Bottom