• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Shakti Hallograph's, are you a believer??

D

Deleted member 12

I recently added a pair of Shakti Hallograph room tuning devices to my system. Many of you, upon viewing the wooden sticks will proclaim them to be a 'BS' piece of gear. None of you who have actually heard them will be proclaiming that. Amazing what these devices can do...and IMHO almost indispensable in room treatment!

Along with the Real Traps Mondo traps and Mini Traps..I consider these to be a major improvement in my room acoustics. Highly recommended!!

astr0b0y

Of course I agree, no-one that looks at them would think anything other than BS. But, being skeptical means we really should listen and research the subject so we can maybe learn something or have our minds changed.
The great thing about the scientific process is that complicated ideas can be laid out fully and reviewed to confirm whether there's any data to support the claims. I was so happy to see a white paper linked, until I read it of course.
http://www.shakti-innovations.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/Hallograph-white-paper.pdf
One conclusion I can come to here is that confirmation bias would be a big part of the effect noticed. $1500 is a lot to pay for something that has no data to demonstrate how it works. With limited avenue for resale I'd probably convince myself they were working.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't be so open minded your brain falls out. I'll call snake oil and would not bother listening to them unless I just happened upon a set. Show us some measurements at your listening position that indicate these devices make a change of some sort. The white paper is baloney.

OP
D

Deleted member 12

Here's the thing of it...these things actually do work...in my room, in studios around the world and in many other a'phile systems. Is it possible that expectation bias is a factor...maybe, except I don't typically fall into that trap and I hear a pretty significant difference with them in the system vs. without.
Don't be so closed minded that you cannot envision listening to these....just saying.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Here's the thing of it...these things actually do work...in my room, in studios around the world and in many other a'phile systems. Is it possible that expectation bias is a factor...maybe, except I don't typically fall into that trap and I hear a pretty significant difference with them in the system vs. without.
Don't be so closed minded that you cannot envision listening to these....just saying.
If expectation bias is the reason you hear a change then they don't work, you just think they do.
Some stuff deserves the time for a serious investigation, others such as this just screams RIP OFF.
Anything you introduce into the free air of a room can possibly effect what you hear at the listening chair, but there's no magic in those sticks, or specially any science/technology. And then $1500 for a couple sticks goes beyond snake oil marketing and defines the term audiophool.
Sorry.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Look deep into my eyes ------------------------------:eek: :D
Hoffman-pic-1.jpg
ces_13.jpg

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Errr... need to work on your definition of 'work' , at least if your going to claim something 'works' on this forum;)

So..., umm... where's the evidence they 'work' :)

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
right now I'm thinking ' just hang some pasta shapes off your ceiling and save $1499'...
If you put it up raw I believe the sound could take on a edgy, hard type detail. Now if you cook it, a warmer, softer type, more forgiving response might be expected?

Mivera

Major Contributor
You guys need a few assholes around here to shake things up a bit. Things have gotten about as boring as a line dance at an old folks home.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

They're all 25 years older now...

Let me know if you aren't a day older yourself, tomorrow.

OP
D

Deleted member 12

If expectation bias is the reason you hear a change then they don't work, you just think they do.
Some stuff deserves the time for a serious investigation, others such as this just screams RIP OFF.
Anything you introduce into the free air of a room can possibly effect what you hear at the listening chair, but there's no magic in those sticks, or specially any science/technology. And then $1500 for a couple sticks goes beyond snake oil marketing and defines the term audiophool.
Sorry.

Nothing to be sorry about. If you have heard these and have that conclusion, so be it. OTOH, if you have not heard them, then all you are doing is posting supposition...which i really couldn't care less about.

OP
D

Deleted member 12

Errr... need to work on your definition of 'work' , at least if your going to claim something 'works' on this forum;)

So..., umm... where's the evidence they 'work' :)

The evidence is in my ears and what I hear. Don't believe it, then go out and hear them for yourself and in your system. If you can then state they do not 'work'- so be it. Otherwise, on this forum...or anywhere else, that's just being closed minded...No???

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
The evidence is in my ears and what I hear. Don't believe it, then go out and hear them for yourself and in your system. If you can then state they do not 'work'- so be it. Otherwise, on this forum...or anywhere else, that's just being closed minded...No???
That stuff flies at WBF, but not here. If you claim something is so, you need to provide evidence of such. I once saw David Copperfield make a 747 disappear into thin air, did he? If you come here and say it really happened, you'd need to provide proof to support that claim also. (Audio Science Review, remember).
We're not claiming anything, you are, so the burden of proof lies in your lap.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I dont recognise the instrument your using to judge this items merrit as being reliable.

I would argue you are close minded to your own falibility.

Its intresting when a number of people claim unlikely subjective benifits from a product. A point to investigate but your not offering any such investigation unfortunately.

Im sure the wavy sticks can be produced for about $5 so regardless the merrit of your claims they are a offensive rip off.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well a few sticks poking into the air will respond by resonating when excited by the music at frequencies depending on the stick's mass, stiffness and dimensions. If you prefer this extra bit of sound being added to what is coming out of your speakers, bully for you. What it is not doing is changing the room acoustics.

OP
D

Deleted member 12

I dont recognise the instrument your using to judge this items merrit as being reliable.

I would argue you are close minded to your own falibility.

Its intresting when a number of people claim unlikely subjective benifits from a product. A point to investigate but your not offering any such investigation unfortunately.

Im sure the wavy sticks can be produced for about $5 so regardless the merrit of your claims they are a offensive rip off.

Keep on thinking like that. In this hobby, you are going to deprive yourself of a lot of music and a lot of pleasure. I would suggest putting cotton wool in your ears from now on...after all, you don't really need them do you, LOL.

OP
D

Deleted member 12

That stuff flies at WBF, but not here. If you claim something is so, you need to provide evidence of such. I once saw David Copperfield make a 747 disappear into thin air, did he? If you come here and say it really happened, you'd need to provide proof to support that claim also. (Audio Science Review, remember).
We're not claiming anything, you are, so the burden of proof lies in your lap.
That stuff "flies" everywhere, unless that is you are completely unwilling to be open-minded about something...in which case the only thing that will fly is a white paper written by a so-called scientist ( who may or may not be one) Here's another question...Shakti makes another product called a stone...take a look at it on their web page, do you doubt that works as well??? After all, its shaped like a stone, lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom