• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Setting up for sound , A stadium gig

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Live Sound Showcase: Metallica
IMG_1035.JPG

http://www.prosoundnetwork.com/live...a/47648?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Thought this might be of intrest, picked it up off AES twitter feed .

iridium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
That is a very simple & low-level logarithmic spaced, articulated spiral array in a horizontally asymmetric configuration employing frequency tapering and divergence shading, which includes isophasic high-frequency and mid-frequency apertures, hyper-cardioid low-frequency transducer sections, is controlled by finite-impulse response filtering digital signal processing, and works well with a psychoacoustic infector. Serious detritus to post @ ASR.

iridium.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Elton John, 1971 or so

e167p1.jpg

DM_044.jpg

iridium

Elton John, 1971 or so

e167p1.jpg

DM_044.jpg

All horns; not sure on the super tweeter. Probably sounded great; would work well with a rolling thunder sound!

iridium.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Greatful Dead, 1973. Don’t know how they kept the mics from feeding back like crazy, what with the speakers firing right into them. Reportedly powered @ 26,000 watts RMS and still sounded good a quarter mile away.

grateful_dead_wall_of_sound_01.jpg

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Don Hills

Greatful Dead, 1973. Don’t know how they kept the mics from feeding back like crazy, what with the speakers firing right into them. ...

Each microphone was doubled - one facing forward, one back - and the outputs summed. Primitive form of noise cancelling.
Also, only some of the speakers had vocals in them. The design aim was to have separate stacks for each instrument.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Each microphone was doubled - one facing forward, one back

This describes it...

"A major improvement in the quality of the vocal sound is due to the use of differential microphones. Each singer has a perfectly matched pair of Bruel and Kjaer microphones hooked up out of phase, only one of which he sings into. Any sound which goes equally into both microphones is cancelled out when the two signals are added together. Therefore leakage of instruments and background noise into the vocal channel is minimized."

https://deadsources.blogspot.com/2012/12/1974-wall-of-sound-technical-specs.html

upload_2017-7-27_1-53-1.png

Don Hills

Ah right, thanks. My memory of those days is somewhat cloudy... :)

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Decidedly déclassé, but here’s my former band using a Bose L1 line array system. Hey, if you want to play stadiums ya gotta start somewhere…
hide.gif

bastrop6 cropped enhanced.jpg

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting topic. Rather the antithesis of the old bluegrass method of one mic and everyone spaces themselves around it used in broadcast and stage shows.

BGP.jpg

I seem to remember reading those Meyer setups can do real time impulse control and contouring of the output monitored by the FOH guys if they choose to do so. Something like room correction for a really big room. Perhaps I am getting it mixed up, but I think that is the case. Obviously they are using quite a bit of DSP. Also inventive of the Dead to do decide to do something and just find a way to make it work without such resources.

BTW, I wonder what power cords they are using? :p

fas42

Major Contributor

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I will have to write a bit about my thinking these days about Audio ... for now :) :

I have been mightily impressed by what comes from some stadium sounds .. From the top of my head Florida Atlantic Univeristy, Mercedes-Benz Stadium in Ga, the Home of the Heat Basketball and a stadium somewhere in NY State might have been Buffalo. These all sounded impressive in a way most Home System don't, perhaps can't.

In some of these venues, Sound is impressive.. I don't know if it wouldn't grow on attentive listening they would lose the attraction. All that to say that some of these system sound much better than many audiophiles will want to to concede: IOW better than several megabucks High End systems.

OP
Thomas savage

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
This sounded really pleasing, no expensive kit involved, open and totally uncompressed. What happens when this is recorded that changes it is beyond me but possibly buying super expensive hifi is not the answer as things were find here at this stage of the process.
No groundings boxes, expensive cables, £30000 speakers , £14000 CDP etc there was a mixing desk plugged into a cheap extension block..
IMG_1050.JPG

Or is that just full of distortions that I'm used too and some how in that environment accept and enjoy?

fas42

Major Contributor
In some of these venues, Sound is impressive.. I don't know if it wouldn't grow on attentive listening they would lose the attraction. All that to say that some of these system sound much better than many audiophiles will want to to concede: IOW better than several megabucks High End systems.
My experiences also. There have been one or two sound reinforcement installations that I couldn't fault, and I still remember clearly how competently they performed - a setup in a Canadian pavilion at an Expo in the 80's did brilliantly, so vastly superior to any high end rig I came across for the next couple of decades.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Top Bottom