• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Roon 1.3 Adds DSP PEQ, Sonos, Multi-channel, and more

Fitzcaraldo215

Major Contributor
First thanks for the detail write-up. I am still examining my choices for multi-channel playback and that was useful.

This caught my eye though. How are you ripping SACD this way?

It is fairly new - 6 months - and seems a solution on a far better, more reliable hardware platform than the old SACD ripping method on the Sony PS3. I burned out 3 PS3s doing most of my ripping, and the exact PS3 models necessary are long out of production and increasingly hard to find, plus not dependable. The process was also not easy to set up.

So, now that the Oppo 103/105 are also just recently and coincidentally out of production, we have a method that uses those with no hard or software changes, i.e., no fingerprints permanently on the machine or its software. You just need to insert a thumb drive with the right ripping software, connect the Oppo to your Ethernet network, then run some freeware on your PC or Apple to rip a copy of the SACD disc to an ISO file on your PC or NAS. Then, most people do an "extract" from the ISO file to a DSF format file as a separate step. That is done on the PC. The DSF is either the stereo or the Mch hi rez "layer" as you prefer or as available. There are other final formats, like DFF, but DSF is the way to go.

(It is technical, but some software can play ISOs which contain all 3 programs on the hybrid SACD: CD, DSD Stereo and DSD Mch. However, ISOs are not taggable. DSFs are taggable. My library is DSF files in Mch or only stereo if there was no Mch version on the SACD. However, I play them using JRiver on-the-fly conversion from DSD to 176k PCM for the application of DSP, including Dirac.)

The thread below is now way overly long, but it is all here, and it was quite simple to get working:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f...ing-using-oppo-or-pioneer-yes-its-true-29251/

There are a few other specific machines that will work, depending on their internal chipset, from Pioneer and Cambridge. Current 2xx Oppo models have not been hacked yet, and there is no guarantee they will be.

Ain't DRM fun? SACD's unique hardware + software encryption was exceptionally tough and it made the medium highly resistant to hacking, but it has been going on now for a number of years starting with the PS3.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Thanks *so much* for that write-up. I didn't know this was developed. I have my Oppo which is gathering dust since I have a UHD player and would be great to put it to use this way. I have a decent library of SACDs from years back that is locked in the format. Must make the time to rip them! :)

Thanks again.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
An old one or super new? What spec is yours Keith?
Unless you want to use the signal processing features of Roon, it uses very little CPU so any old machine will do. Things like resampling DSD to PCM however do gobble up CPU cycles.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
The one I use is at least 10 years old, SSD of course which makes it sound so much better....
Keith

Top Bottom