• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Roon 1.3 Adds DSP PEQ, Sonos, Multi-channel, and more

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Oh, I didn't get that bit. So it's building metadata files on your personal library so to enable this "smart" DJ function. Very intelligent

It's also really smart about using meta-data to make recommendations.

For example, right now, I'm listening to Paul Desmond and there is a button next to the album that says "Focus on Similar". And it's smart enough to show me not just jazz musicians, but ones who play in a similar style.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Right now I just listening to my local "Classical" station and they keep playing nice things appropriate for 4:30 in the morning.

4:31am: Robert Schumann, String Quartet No. 3 in A-major, Op. 41, No. 3, Ying Quartet, , Ying Quartet, Sono Luminus, 92184

http://www.ying4.com/

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Finally had some time this weekend to mess around with the new DSP / EQ stuff in Roon 1.3.

I'm pretty impressed for what you get "for free" (they could have charged extra or made it an add-on module). It seems to have more functionality than the OpenDRC software that comes with miniDSP and the UI is certainly a heck of a lot better.

Screen Shot 2017-02-12 at 11.46.11 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-02-12 at 11.45.03 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-02-12 at 11.39.49 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-02-12 at 11.39.41 AM.png

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I don't see much point in spending $5k-$7k on a DEQX, or even more on an Illusonic, with all this built-in...unless you want to use non-Roon sources.
Agreed, I'd say it's madness to spend on those things now. it's exciting to see this functionality basically free. It's a sea change and brings great sound to the masses. I hope we will see more software plug ins that use DSP to mimic certain amps and tubes etc so a transparent active system can be made to sound identical to say a audio research ref 10 pre amp for example..

If I were audio research I'd be making software plug ins now, get ahead of what's to come.. Why bother with the hardware if the sound can be created though software ?

I'm off piste lol

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I'm pretty impressed for what you get "for free" (they could have charged extra or made it an add-on module).
What does it cost to get Roon running?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I don't see much point in spending $5k-$7k on a DEQX, or even more on an Illusonic, with all this built-in...unless you want to use non-Roon sources.
Agreed, I'd say it's madness to spend on those things now. it's exciting to see this functionality basically free.

Let me add one point: At the moment, Roon does not have any mechanism for measurement and/or calculations of the EQ filters.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I like Roon very much, and welcome the additions, I would imagine that the take-up of the EQ function would be fairly small however, in my experience a high percentage of 'audiophiles'are simply not interested in their room's behaviour or how to 'fix' it.
In fact when you confront them with the measurements they often dismiss them out of hand as unimportant , but would much prefer to buy another linear power supply,uptone,regen ,interconnect etc etc.
Keith.

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Another noob Roon question: can I still use Roon to stream from tidal from my iPhone even when the computer I use as a core/server is turned off? Or does the core need to be turned on and online at all times? (just wondering whether Roon would necessitate an additional media pc or nas, since I don't leave my macbook on all the time)

(sorry if it's OT in this thread)

Last edited:
OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Another noob Roon question: can I still use Roon to stream from tidal from my iPhone even when the computer I use as a core/server is turned off? Or does the core need to be turned on and online at all times? (just wondering whether Roon would necessitate an additional media pc or nas, since I don't leave my macbook on all the time)

(sorry if it's OT in this thread)

The Roon iPhone client doesn't play music, just controls the Core.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
In fact when you confront them with the measurements they often dismiss them out of hand as unimportant , but would much prefer to buy another linear power supply,uptone,regen ,interconnect etc etc.
Just another day in the life of audiophool's world. LOL

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I'd buy roon, you'll only waste the savings on a silly tv.. Or worse on a new inflatable for the swimming pool...
Thanks, that reminds me, just about time to mosey on down to the cement pond for my afternoon bath and oggle the hotties in their bathing suits. ;)

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Thank you. So a a media PC would be necessary then.

Not necessarily.

I run Roon Core on a Mac Mini in my office. It's not a media PC and it isn't hooked up directly to the main rig in the living room.

In the Living Room, I run Roon Bridge on a teeny tiny Raspberry Pi the size of a pack of cigarettes.

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not necessarily.

I run Roon Core on a Mac Mini in my office. It's not a media PC and it isn't hooked up directly to the main rig in the living room.

In the Living Room, I run Roon Bridge on a teeny tiny Raspberry Pi the size of a pack of cigarettes.

Thanks. Inspiring. You're right, I don't need a dedicated media pc. But, the thing is that I don't have a mac mini or something similar at the moment, only a macbook pro. And I prefer to turn off my laptop when I'm listening to music. But a mac mini running in my home office could be a worthwhile investment anyhow, I think. I anyhow have a sonos connect in my main system that can be used as an endpoint after the last update, so no need for a roon bridge.

Top Bottom