• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RMAF 2016: United Home Audio (tape), Classic Audio, Purist Audio, Atma-sphere Music, Tri-planar

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
093A7132.jpg
093A7135.jpg
093A7136.jpg
093A7133.jpg
093A7134.jpg
093A7137.jpg
093A7138.jpg
093A7141.jpg
093A7144.jpg
093A7140.jpg
093A7142.jpg
093A7139.jpg
093A7145.jpg
093A7143.jpg
093A7146.jpg
093A7147.jpg

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This was a special "tape" session in the above suite to listen to tapes. It started at 8:30pm and I dragged my tired feet to it due to my interest in Reel to Reel tapes. UHA had announced a new outboard power supply (the white box in the rack), leaving the deck with just motors and heads. The retail cost is $20,000 for the package.

UHA refurbishes Tascam tape decks and sells them starting at $6,000.

The evening was informative in the context of speaking to Greg about his work. The audio performance however, was disappointing as you see below.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Next was a sampler that Greg had created. Looked forward to the variety of music from above. Some tracks were demo/practice runs that never made it commercially.

On The Soles Of Her Shoes by Paul Simon. http://shz.am/t236973

Fun track.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Some Other Time by The Alan Parsons Project. http://shz.am/t386243

Very nice track but super loud pop/click between tracks. Asked Greg why he said the playback machine did not have mute??? No tape deck I know generates such pops. He said earlier that he had removed capacitor coupling of the head pre-amplifier by using some modules that D'Agostino uses his amps. Sure sounded like DC going into speakers making me feel sorry for them!

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Burning Down The House by Talking Heads. http://shz.am/t279062

I was pretty disappointed by now. Nothing I heard sounded exceptional. Went to look at the deck and was quite surprised to see very low playback levels. The meters would barely come to mid-level. Most everyone, including the tapes I have, take advantage of high saturation point of latest tapes to record at much "hotter" levels. Greg said that he liked recording at low level and then turning them up at playback! Really? For analog systems, you want to record as high as you can above their relatively high noise level, not the other way around.

I heard no magic in the new outboard box. My Otari tape deck on my system runs circles around anything I heard in that suite. Was not a fan of the speakers either. Dragged my tired feet back to the hotel at 10:30pm. Lousy ending to an otherwise good day.

c1ferrari

Forum Donor
Burning Down The House by Talking Heads. http://shz.am/t279062

I was pretty disappointed by now. Nothing I heard sounded exceptional. Went to look at the deck and was quite surprised to see very low playback levels. The meters would barely come to mid-level. Most everyone, including the tapes I have, take advantage of high saturation point of latest tapes to record at much "hotter" levels. Greg said that he liked recording at low level and then turning them up at playback! Really? For analog systems, you want to record as high as you can above their relatively high noise level, not the other way around.

I heard no magic in the new outboard box. My Otari tape deck on my system runs circles around anything I heard in that suite. Was not a fan of the speakers either. Dragged my tired feet back to the hotel at 10:30pm. Lousy ending to an otherwise good day.

Hi Amir,

Hmm...interesting. I'm surprised the meters were operating at all given outboard electronics.
What do you think?

Sam

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Hi Sam. I think I might be confused. :) I definitely saw the meters dancing. He did talk about direct coupling in his headphone amplifier. Maybe that is internal to the unit???

His web site is a disaster so I can't get the answer there either.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Not exactly Hi End but I still miss my Pioneer 707 R-R, tape decks always looked so cool running in a system.
Just peaked around for a photo and ebay came up. WOW, can't believe what these 30 yo decks are bringing now.
About twice what I got for mine when I sold it back in the mid 90s..
Can still hear the loud clack when the tape ran out, and the slap, slap, slat till the reel stopped..
The smell of the tape when you open the box.
Aye the ole days. :)
maxresdefault.jpg

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
That pioneer was one of my favorites. Still is but I don't think it plays 15 is speed. I think John has one?
Correct, 3 3/4 and 7 1/2 only. Not too bad a handicap on a 7" reel recorder but a few years later I considered upgrading to the new 10" RT 909 but backed out. Why they didn't have 15ips on the big reel piece was a deal breaker for me.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I have an RT-707, tried to sell it a few years ago but buyer decided he didn't want it. It was a back-up for a while and I used it to haul around when I didnt want to deal with the big Studer. And yah, only goes to 7" and 7.5 ips... Still a very good sounding unit and all the main adjustments were easy to find.

JS Hoover

I find it odd, to say the least(?), how: Greg's outfit doesn't seem to have any customer reviews anywhere...nor, no employee documentation of where/who is fabricating these modified units.

Top Bottom