• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RMAF 2016: Austin Acoustics

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
093A6665.jpg

Equipment in this room looked absolutely gorgeous. Beautiful set of tube amps and lovely looking horn speakers. Sad that it did not remotely live up to its looks when it came to sound.

093A6668.jpg
093A6672.jpg
093A6666.jpg
093A6670.jpg
093A6671.jpg
093A6669.jpg

Part of the problem was super dead room. As you see they went to town on even the floor reflection on top of carpet that was already there. As a result, everything was pushed into the speakers or between them. In a small room, that was not a good recipe.
093A6667.jpg

fas42

Major Contributor

fas42

Major Contributor
And just revisited that posted link, and read it more carefully. Looks like DaveC just had his WTF moment, :cool:, in the first paragraph - this is how it impacts when the focus finally is spot on, ;). The transition into convincing sound seems miraculous, until one does it over and over again - then comes the hard part: how to make it stick, each and every time ... o_O.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
A lot of the impression formed by visitors is due selection of music. In my case, I was stuck listening to a horrible customer CD for a long time. Then only had time to listen to one clip they played and when it didn't sound that great, I left. I did not hear the tracks David did.

And you have to remember, I am a lot grumpier than many going to these shows :D.

fas42

Major Contributor
Noted your selection for checking the sound, "Just A Little Lovin' by Shelby Lynne", and looked it up on YouTube - this would be the last sort of material I would ever use for evaluating sound; it's perfect for playing on "audiophile rigs", because it would always make 'em sound good - and tell me nothing about the capability of the setup ...

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
What bugs me about these (and similar) horn speakers is how the tweeter is often firing into a nearby obstacle. Sometimes like this, sometimes firing into the back of a mid-horn flange.

upload_2016-10-14_15-3-1.png

I'd probably never hear it, but someone would. Maybe that is at the root of Herb Reichert's "phasey" impression.

As for the thread being closed, if they'd just take an anti-positive impression at face value instead of arguing about it, it wouldn't happen.

Who knows what I'll think when I hear a Revel or JBL someday. Maybe I'll get shut down here.

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Who knows what I'll think when I hear a Revel or JBL someday. Maybe I'll get shut down here.
Never. My job here is to be your host in all topics, whether I like the conversation or not. I put more value on my duties there than defending any product.

Having this aspect bother me in WBF thread, you can be sure that this principle is fresh and clear in my mind. Nothing demotes a forum more than an owner who wants it to go the way he wants in the specific.

Please call me on this if it ever happens and I will put any decision making in Thomas' hands there.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
What bugs me about these (and similar) horn speakers is how the tweeter is often firing into a nearby obstacle. Sometimes like this, sometimes firing into the back of a mid-horn flange.
This always bugs me for the same reason.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Never. My job here is to be your host in all topics, whether I like the conversation or not. I put more value on my duties there than defending any product.

Having this aspect bother me in WBF thread, you can be sure that this principle is fresh and clear in my mind. Nothing demotes a forum more than an owner who wants it to go the way he wants in the specific.

Please call me on this if it ever happens and I will put any decision making in Thomas' hands there.

:eek:..run for the hills ...

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
A lot of the impression formed by visitors is due selection of music. In my case, I was stuck listening to a horrible customer CD for a long time. Then only had time to listen to one clip they played and when it didn't sound that great, I left. I did not hear the tracks David did.

And you have to remember, I am a lot grumpier than many going to these shows :D.
I read that WBF thread, as a British man of noble heritage I would like to both firstly recognise and secondly commend you ( as only a gentleman of my standing is qualified to do so ) on you're use of self depreciation as a tool to negate the potential for a imflamitory retort.

It was rather shoehorned in ( hence its total failure to serve the desired purpose) though but a jolly spirited effort amir.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor

View attachment 3432

I'd probably never hear it, but someone would. Maybe that is at the root of Herb Reichert's "phasey" impression.

As for the thread being closed, if they'd just take an anti-positive impression at face value instead of arguing about it, it wouldn't happen.

I agree..

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I read that WBF thread, as a British man of noble heritage I would like to both firstly recognise and secondly commend you ( as only a gentleman of my standing is qualified to do so ) on you're use of self depreciation as a tool to negate the potential for a imflamitory retort.

It was rather shoehorned in ( hence its total failure to serve the desired purpose) though but a jolly spirited effort amir.
Thank you Thomas. It was indeed both of those. :)

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Thank you Thomas. It was indeed both of those. :)
Must be a little British in there somewhere ;) sadly on this occasion not enough :p:D

On a serious note I felt for you when I read through it. There was something very unpleasant lurking under the surface in a lot of the posts that were directed at or referencing you..

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Nobody likes being told their crappy speakers are crappy sounding crap.

upload_2016-10-14_16-44-11.png

Unless they are an outlier, like me. I just shrug it off, and spin another crappy sounding CD on my crappy CD player.

MI0001519794.jpg

Chick Corea (crappy keyboard player)
Eddie Gomez (really crappy string bass)
Steve Gadd (on his crappy drums)
Kazumi Watanabe (crappy guitar)

Somebody in that thread mentioned $350,000 as the price?

And the thread has been re-opened due to Popular Demand.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Ooh...

Maybe I should trademark Krappi as a brand name...

Sounds German, no? That would be good for business...

Top Bottom