• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Question regarding filling speaker stands

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
When running frequency sweeps with REW, not even at a high volume, these stands audibly sing along with the sweep. And this regardless of the speakers being on the stands or not.

That seems to beg for some optimization.

At which frequencies do they resonate?

If weight is the impeding factor, I might cut something and wedge it between the columns, at the appropriate locations.

Fitzcaraldo215

Major Contributor
I have custom-made stands for my DIY actives. They are the traditional four-pillar hollow-tube with top and bottom plate job. Very well made, in fact. The pillars ought to be filled, but right now I have to move them a lot so they are empty.

When running frequency sweeps with REW, not even at a high volume, these stands audibly sing along with the sweep. And this regardless of the speakers being on the stands or not.
Just curious. How do you know for sure it is the stand vibrating and not something else in the room?

But, if it is, be sure to get sterilized playground sand, not general purpose sand, which might have little critters or their eggs in it. Of course, lead shot or steel bits hopefully do no have little critters, or maybe only little baby R2D2's.

Werner

How do I know? Because I happened to be close to the stands while sweeping, and because hitting them physically produces the samish sound. No doubts here.

High in the 100s of Hz, I feel. Very high Q. Didn't care to investigate. As said, these are temporary, the (very heavy, metallic) filling waiting in the bags until I decide on a final settling place. If ever.
Mmmm, given the high Q I imagine that something light like wool or foam packing chips might be sufficient for the job.

I just told the story here to make clear that some types of stands can produce sounds, and not even under extreme conditions.

Top Bottom