• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Proper Metal music (no pony tails or choral crap)

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Ok, I've listened to a few seconds of a few of these selections.

The 'gargling with battery acid before the set' vocals are surely the centerpiece for these groups.

Who is the best?

Dynamix

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Ok, I've listened to a few seconds of a few of these selections.

The 'gargling with battery acid before the set' vocals are surely the centerpiece for these groups.

Who is the best?

I don't really understand the question to be honest. "Best" is very subjective.

As for the vocals, I know a lot of people can't stand vocals like these, and that's fine. We all have our preferences thankfully, the world would be a very boring place if we all liked the same things. ;)

Don Hills

hvbias

Back when I listened to more metal this was one I enjoyed quite a bit. Loved the more avant-garde/experimental nature of their music.

Earlier last week I pulled out the classic Demolition Hammer Epidemic of Violence. Couldn't really enjoy it as much as I used to.

Dynamix

Nice! Russian Circles are awesome. Did you see anything else interesting, or did the beer steal your attention?

OP
Thomas savage

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Nice! Russian Circles are awesome. Did you see anything else interesting, or did the beer steal your attention?
Truckfighters pelican and Russian circle, before that beer beer beer from 9am:) did see some live music in the black hart, band was called Poseidon I think.

Great beer! It's my new favourite pub, shame it's so far away.

OP
Thomas savage

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
We need more metal heads!

It doesn't appeal to me...

No doubt you can find something here Metalheads: The Influence of Personality and Individual Differences on Preference for Heavy Metal to argue against my unsubstantiated position.

Abstract:

Previous studies have reported reliable associations between personality and music preferences, but have tended to rely on cross-genre preferences at the expense of preferences within a single subgenre. We sought to overcome this limitation by examining associations between individual differences and preferences for a specific subgenre of music, namely, contemporary heavy metal.

A total of 414 individuals from Britain were presented with clips of 10 tracks of contemporary heavy metal and asked to rate each for liking. Participants also completed measures of the Big Five personality traits, attitudes toward authority, self-esteem, need for uniqueness, and religiosity.

A multiple regression showed that stronger composite preference for the heavy metal tracks was associated with higher Openness to Experience, more negative attitudes toward authority, lower self-esteem, greater need for uniqueness, and lower religiosity. In addition, men showed a significantly stronger preference for the tracks than women (d 0.54). These results are discussed in terms of the psychological needs that contemporary heavy metal fills for some individuals.

OP
Thomas savage

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
It doesn't appeal to me...

No doubt you can find something here Metalheads: The Influence of Personality and Individual Differences on Preference for Heavy Metal to argue against my unsubstantiated position.

Abstract:

Previous studies have reported reliable associations between personality and music preferences, but have tended to rely on cross-genre preferences at the expense of preferences within a single subgenre. We sought to overcome this limitation by examining associations between individual differences and preferences for a specific subgenre of music, namely, contemporary heavy metal.

A total of 414 individuals from Britain were presented with clips of 10 tracks of contemporary heavy metal and asked to rate each for liking. Participants also completed measures of the Big Five personality traits, attitudes toward authority, self-esteem, need for uniqueness, and religiosity.

A multiple regression showed that stronger composite preference for the heavy metal tracks was associated with higher Openness to Experience, more negative attitudes toward authority, lower self-esteem, greater need for uniqueness, and lower religiosity. In addition, men showed a significantly stronger preference for the tracks than women (d 0.54). These results are discussed in terms of the psychological needs that contemporary heavy metal fills for some individuals.
Lol, I like all sorts Ray. A lot of metal much like a lot of most things is rubbish imo.

If you met me, you would not pick me as a metal head lol needless to say I don't fit in at the gigs :D

A lot of ( maybe not all) What is described in your post can easily be applied to any genre or movement that's considered ' alternative ' .

Dynamix

Lol!

And while we're on the subject of Japanese metal, suck on some Sabbat:

No ponytails or choral crap here!

Top Bottom