• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Null Test: 24bit vs 16bit vs MP3

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That is all I am now Keith, I retired from F1 at the end of 2009, otherwise I would still not have discovered any audio forums.

I am sure I could ask about a thousand questions about people you worked with in F1 and 10,000 questions about the tech. I'll not be a pest however. Glad to have you here. If you ever do want to post off topic about interesting F1 things I am sure a number of us would be interested. You could put it in the fun topics sub-forum.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Common response.
Most of the analogue is best brigade don't realise or accept that what they like about record players is the raft of euphonic colourations they add.

I feel like an analog traitor because:

1. I admit my turntable is distorted compared to digital (but I still like it)

2. I take my precious, pure, tube-phono-staged analog signal....and run it through a MiniDSP and FIR filters... :eek:

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I feel like an analog traitor because:

1. I admit my turntable is distorted compared to digital (but I still like it)

2. I take my precious, pure, tube-phono-staged analog signal....and run it through a MiniDSP and FIR filters... :eek:

I am even "worse". I have 4 record players, Goldmund Reference, EMT 938, Roksan Xerxes and B&O 8002 (the highest and most original tech one), all of which have a different suite of colourations so all sound different but I use a Devialet amplifier, which digitises the phono input immediately after the loading circuit and calculates the correction, RIAA 1976 or one of 10 other vintage curves selectable on the remote, digitally. It used to have RIAA 1953 but that has gone from the configuration menu in the latest software. Probably sensible from an engineering pov but gives Devialet haters another detail to get snooty about.
I play LPs quite a lot. I don't buy many any more but have records going back to those I bought when I was a student almost 50 years ago now. What I listen too depends entirely on what I feel like listening to next, not the medium on which it is recorded or its sound quality.
I would rather listen to Bach over the phone than Bruce Springsteen on the best hifi in the world.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am sure I could ask about a thousand questions about people you worked with in F1 and 10,000 questions about the tech. I'll not be a pest however. Glad to have you here. If you ever do want to post off topic about interesting F1 things I am sure a number of us would be interested. You could put it in the fun topics sub-forum.
Thanks for those kind words.
Feel free to ask a question, I have mild Aspergers so will soon let you know if it goes too far :)

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for those kind words.
Feel free to ask a question, I have mild Aspergers so will soon let you know if it goes too far :)

Thanks for offering, but I know once I start I wouldn't be able to stop. One thing would lead to another and then another. I'll let your F1 experience contribute to our audio endeavours instead. :D

Cosmik

Major Contributor
It is normal for a non-isolated turntable to have bass pickup via structure and air only around 10 to 15 dB below the actual music signal, and slightly delayed, so it is like adding a bit of bass reverb.
I think it is more than that: it resembles the sort of acoustic effects that occur in live music - resonances related to room dimensions, and feedback into microphones or instruments' open strings etc. and will change as the room changes, reinforcing certain resonances and cancelling out others. If this was considered a desirable feature, it could even be added deliberately to a digital setup via microphone or accelerometer pickups and DSP.

Me, I'll stick with standard noise-free, distortion-free, crosstalk-free digital.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I am even "worse". I have 4 record players, Goldmund Reference, EMT 938, Roksan Xerxes and B&O 8002 (the highest and most original tech one), all of which have a different suite of colourations so all sound different but I use a Devialet amplifier, which digitises the phono input immediately after the loading circuit and calculates the correction, RIAA 1976 or one of 10 other vintage curves selectable on the remote, digitally. It used to have RIAA 1953 but that has gone from the configuration menu in the latest software. Probably sensible from an engineering pov but gives Devialet haters another detail to get snooty about.
I play LPs quite a lot. I don't buy many any more but have records going back to those I bought when I was a student almost 50 years ago now. What I listen too depends entirely on what I feel like listening to next, not the medium on which it is recorded or its sound quality.
I would rather listen to Bach over the phone than Bruce Springsteen on the best hifi in the world.
How is the Goldmund? Knew of two of them. Pretty nice when they worked, but oh so finicky to keep in a high state of tune.

Repaired some of their pre amps too. Thermal management could've been better.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Mine has been fine. I bought it used about 25 years ago I have given it a CLA twice in that time. The TT itself is easy to set up if you are used to that sort of thing. The arm is more complex than most, but better too conceptually IMO. IME once set up mine maintained performance indefinitely. Belt slip is a potential problem unless a very thin oil is used since the bearing clearance is minute so the belt and pulleys need to be kept grease free.

My preamp a Mimesis 22, which is retired now, had potted modules which seemed to need to be evenly warm for best performance which took a long time. What do you mean by thermal management problems?

Last edited:
OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I think it is more than that: it resembles the sort of acoustic effects that occur in live music - resonances related to room dimensions, and feedback into microphones or instruments' open strings etc. and will change as the room changes, reinforcing certain resonances and cancelling out others. If this was considered a desirable feature, it could even be added deliberately to a digital setup via microphone or accelerometer pickups and DSP.

I think there is some merit to this.

I've been playing with Roon's crossfeed feature. While it is meant for headphones, on my system, when played through speakers, it seems to make digital sound a little more like vinyl (although not convincingly so).

Top Bottom