• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Now this is a cool Drone I might buy

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I have been on the sidelines for a long time to buy a drone. This new one from DJI caught my eye this morning. Other than flare caused by the camera bubble it seems like an excellent drone to use:

http://www.pcmag.com/news/348175/dj...ws&mailingID=6D45C69B2A7A017CBB05DE88FD4B7F83

DJI Unveils Compact Mavic Pro Drone

517495-dji-mavic-pro-drone.jpg

Small drones are the next big thing. New models like the Yuneec Breeze andGoPro Karma emphasize size above all; they fold and fit easily into a small backpack so you can take them anywhere with ease. Now, dominant drone maker DJI is joining the party with the svelte Mavic Pro quadcopter.

The Mavic Pro features a black finish, a stark contrast to the smooth, white lines of the Phantom 4$1,095.99 at Amazon. Its design is more angular, and sits low to the ground thanks to short landing gear and a gimbal-stabilized 4K camera that's stabilized on three axes and can record 4K video at up to 30fps and 1080p footage at up to 96fps—perfect for smooth slow-motion capture. Its field of view is narrower than the Phantom 4—78.8 degrees versus 94 degrees—about the same as a 25mm lens in full-frame terms.

The camera also captures stills at 12MP resolution in Raw DNG or JPG format. In a first for a drone, it can rotate to shoot in a portrait orientation as well as landscape. Its focus is fixed from 19 inches (0.5 meter) to infinity. The camera module is protected by a clear plastic bubble.

The nimble Mavic is designed to fly low and high. It has downward-facing sensors to maintain position when close to the ground and forward sensors to avoid obstacles. There's even a new Terrain Follow mode that can follow a subject while maintaining a constant distance from the ground, which can be set from 1 foot (0.3 meter) to 33 feet (10 meters).

If you're concerned about adhering to regulations, you can trust DJI's automated geofencing tools to prevent you from inadvertently flying in a restricted area. Of course, the system has an override for those times when you have permission to operate near an airport or in another area that's normally off-limits per the FAA. At 1.7 pounds (750g), the drone does require FAA registration.

The Mavic Pro goes on sale in mid-October for $999, with additional batteries selling for $89. A premium bundle, the Mavic Pro Fly More Combo, includes two spare batteries (for a total of three), an extra set of propellers, a charging hub, a car charger, and a carrying case for $1,299.

If you're concerned about crashes, DJI offers a protection plan, called DJI Care Refresh, for the aircraft. It covers repairs of accidental damage for 12 months at the lower tier, with an upper tier that covers two complete drone replacements in the event of total loss of the aircraft. Pricing for the protection plan is not announced at this time.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I was surprised to read that they can only fly for few minutes. They need to put higher energy batteries in them toy drones.
That's the limitation for all of them. Bigger batteries mean heavier drone. Heavier drone means bigger motors, higher power consumption. On and on.

Near 30 minutes is good though for sending the thing up to go and take pictures and come back. These are a line of sight devices so you really are not sending them to the next town to take pictures. :)

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
"DJI estimates battery life as 27 minutes per flight, but real-world conditions can cut that figure down. "

It didn't mention how far it can fly from base camp (remote control screen).
Also, I'm trying to find a good (positive benefit) use for it, other that the fun factor which will eventually dissipate.
Personally, after couple days I believe I would have satisfied my doze. Then I have a thousand bucks obsolete toy.

What do you intend to do with it Amir, if you buy it? Check its camera from its aerial shots perspective?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
My goal is to use it for aerial photography. There is so much you can do from land. Getting just a few feet off the ground can dramatically change what can be seen. I especially like to use it for spring photography of the eastern washington wheat fields.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Getting just a few feet off the ground can dramatically change what can be seen.

They make 21' stepladders. No batteries.

large-srccablovto-2.jpg

Looks scary enough to me.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

NorthSky

Major Contributor

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
They're not as crazed as the 60 foot extension ladders (48 foot working height)
Not a fan of ladders period. Worked laboring mopping hot tar one summer back in the 70s. Coming down a extension ladder the bottom came out and I went down about 20 feet. Lucky I only busted one ankle pretty bad, and banged my head, can't hurt this head none. o_O
Poor left ankle, between that and a few motorcycle accidents it's been broke 4 times. Now full of pins, screws, and plates holding it together. Always fun at the airports. LOL

NorthSky

Major Contributor
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
You can get much cheaper drones. The question is features and performance. The breeze has much smaller battery so flight time is less than half as long (10 to 12 minutes). Its speed is a lot lower too which means it is harder to fly when it is windy. Importantly, the DJI camera is gimbal balanced whereas the Breeze uses electronic image stabilization (read: softer images).

The Breeze may have been the inspiration for DJI to build the Mavic Pro. I think they are the first to put so much performance in such a small package. For my travels, I just can't dedicate a ton of room to a drone that I might use once in awhile.

Keith_W

Major Contributor
Last Christmas I rang my mum and told her that I fell off a ladder. She went "Oh no!! Are you OK???".

I said i'm OK. I fell off the bottom rung.

Top Bottom