• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Weiss crosstalk cancellation speaker

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor

Developed in conjunction with Illusonic and PSI ,
The Livebox has “everything” built in – D/A Converter for streaming and USB playback, power amplifiers and a crosstalk cancelation algorithm which generates a hard to believe “being there” soundstage.
If you think “I have heard it all” think again, the Livebox is a different experience. And it looks extremely nice.
The Swiss companies PSI Audio and Illusonic are cooperating with us in the design of the Livebox.

Keith

Cosmik

Major Contributor
I am intrigued! I have experimented with ambiophonics and found it 'interesting'.

I can see how this product could be marketed as the 'audio holography machine' that supersedes stereo.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I discussed the project ages ago with Daniel, it looks really interesting not unlike the Baach system, but I believe with Daniel's version you would have to keep in the central area, which would be your heads width, your partner would have to sit in front or behind you.
I will try and hear it in Munich.
Keith

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
WOW, That's got to be the worlds biggest soundbar!

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am intrigued! I have experimented with ambiophonics and found it 'interesting'.

I can see how this product could be marketed as the 'audio holography machine' that supersedes stereo.

Care to elaborate on your experiences with Ambiphonics, Cosmik? Never tried it, but I find it intriguing.

Cosmik

Major Contributor
Care to elaborate on your experiences with Ambiphonics, Cosmik? Never tried it, but I find it intriguing.
If you head over here, you can try some demos for yourself:
http://www.ambiophonics.org/Demos.html

You have to push your stereo speakers closer together than normal.

I found the that the widening of the soundstage could be remarkable, but after a while I was quite glad to go back to normal stereo. However, the demos weren't optimised for my system, so I don't know if it could be tweaked so I liked to keep listening for longer.

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you head over here, you can try some demos for yourself:
http://www.ambiophonics.org/Demos.html

You have to push your stereo speakers closer together than normal.

I found the that the widening of the soundstage could be remarkable, but after a while I was quite glad to go back to normal stereo. However, the demos weren't optimised for my system, so I don't know if it could be tweaked so I liked to keep listening for longer.

Thanks! I will take a look.

Cosmik

Major Contributor
http://www.audioxpress.com/article/...llation-based-speaker-at-high-end-munich-2017
...audioXpress attended a demonstration on the first day of the 2017 High End show in Munich. For the demonstration, listeners are required to stay in a single row to better experience the generated sound field with crosstalk cancellation. The music plays and the magic happens, creating a believable soundstage with the speaker source virtually disappearing. It’s not like an immersive sound experience where sound surrounds you. This is a fully musical experience where you hear a wide stage in front of you. You hear the instruments sources positioned in a stereo or binaural field, and all this happens from a single speaker (yes a large one…), with no need for headphones. And yes, you can move your head freely and just enjoy the music experience. ...

20170519111844_Weiss-LIVEBOX-HEM2017-P5186888Web.jpg

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Thanks for posting that link C, I didn't make Munich this year but that loudspeaker would definitely have been on my 'must hear' list.
We stock Weiss,PSi and Illusonic I was pleased to hear of their collaboration , the 'Swiss Audio mafia'
Keith

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Daniel and the new Weiss 'Livebox' cross-cancellation speaker at Munich, photo courtesy of MyHiEnd.

Keith

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
But if the music was mixed with stereo in mind, is this a good thing?

Seems like another of those systems like SRS or all those AV DSP settings that used to be the rage, like "Jazz Club", "Stadium", etc.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
It creates 'perfect' stereo, that's the whole idea.
Keith

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Perhaps spend some time reading what exactly the Bach and Weiss systems are capable of.
Keith

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Perhaps spend some time reading what exactly the Bach and Weiss systems are capable of.
Keith

I have. And it doesn't answer the question because "stereo" is an artificial construct created during the production process. Anyone who is is involved in mastering will tell you that it's a subjective and artistic decision.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
As an example, I can use the SPL Phonitor X to adjust crossfeed, laterality, etc, to any arbitrary definition of "stereo" I choose. Some use it such devices during mastering, or the software equivalents.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Yes I guess with headphones the left channel only goes to the left ear and the right to the right,
Keith

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Can you also stop the left channel being heard by your right ear?
Keith

Top Bottom